Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 04:41 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,174,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
Sounds as if this teacher works in Texas.
Syracuse, NY

Guess you didn't bother to read the OP link ?

Old 04-10-2013, 04:42 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,462,369 times
No, I read it. If you were familiar with Texas, and the awful public education system in the state ... you'd understand my remarks.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
No, I read it. If you were familiar with Texas, and the awful public education system in the state ... you'd understand my remarks.
NCLB is mandated in all states. And next up is RTT.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:29 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,141,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
If you've learned the basics and you have good general knowledge, plus PROBLEM SOLVING AND REASONING ABILITY you'll do great on the ACT, SAT, etc. etc. The problem comes in when kids learn rote information for tests but they don't learn critical thinking that goes with it, so they can't apply what they've learned to problem solving. A lot (not all) of the college entrance testing is problem solving. Even taking the tests themselves is a strategic process--figuring out how to narrow down the answers that you might not be sure about. Not all standardized testing is bad when it's used to demonstrate what you've learned and how you can reason. The problem comes in when it's the only teaching tool available, which is what the teacher in the link was concerned about.
I would disagree, Not everyone that has these basic skills and reasoning abilities do well on these tests. I know this for a fact as I have been an educator for almost 20 years, and I've seen it. Out of the thousands of students I have taught in my general and AP courses, I can point out hundreds of those with the very traits you've mentioned that have very poor test taking abilities, whether it be poor time management, intrinsic stress, low confidence going into it, etc.

And to say that standardized testing demonstrates what someone learns is not always true. It is one measure, yes, but should never be the ONLY assessment used. Not everyone takes exams with the same skill level as others - and this might have nothing to do with their learning &/or reasoning abilities.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:32 PM

1,873 posts, read 2,390,654 times
  • Teachers unions have protected bad teachers, their students and good teachers know it. And too many politicians are beholden to them.
  • Too many parents invest (almost) nothing in the education of their kids, leaving it all to teachers to parent their kids and then blaming teachers when Johnny doesn't learn.
  • The USA has far more people in education on school boards and school administrators than other developed countries? And they add a lot of cost. Why? Results would suggest it's not helping.
  • Politicians with good intentions have tried to legislate better education, but no legislation can overcome 1 & 2. Taking tests is not teaching cognitive thinking/reasoning, it's teaching memorization.
  • We spend more per capita than other developed countries, and get poorer outcomes and appalling dropout rates. More money will not overcome 1 & 2.
There are well-to-do neighborhoods all over the country turning out a very high percentage of HS graduates that can compete with kids from any country in the world. They are NOT necessarily the highest cost/student schools, though people try to explain it away by money only. Their parents expect good teaching, and they expect and follow up to see that their kids are learning, all to get them into good universities.

Two of our closest lifelong friends are teachers. I can't imagine why anyone would want to be a teacher anymore. How to you teach kids who don't care, from parents who don't know what their kids are up to?

Old 04-10-2013, 06:04 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,633,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan's Dad View Post
This article should be moved to the education forum where all the unionized public school teachers can lecture us parents on how we don't understand anything about the education system and the evils of private schools.
And don't forget - telling us parents how our faulty thinking has to be reprogrammed to accept that our children don't belong to us -- they belong to the 'community'.

Shades of Hillary and her idea that "it takes a village".

Old 04-10-2013, 06:06 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,633,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan's Dad View Post
This article should be moved to the education forum where all the unionized public school teachers can lecture us parents on how we don't understand anything about the education system and the evils of private schools.
And don't forget - telling us parents how our faulty thinking has to be reprogrammed to accept that our children don't belong to us -- they belong to the 'community'.

Shades of Hillary and her ideology that "it takes a village".

Old 04-10-2013, 07:57 PM

27,625 posts, read 21,034,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Quote from the teacher that leaped out at me:

I now find that this approach to my profession is not only devalued, but denigrated and perhaps, in some quarters despised.

This thread, of course, is Exhibit A.

After reading this, one wonders why would anyone want to teach your bratty rotten kids who their parents have taught to despise teachers and look down on them. No doubt your kids prefer to spend their time shooting things and think learning math and evolution instead of Invisible Sky God is worthless.

My daughter passionately wants to be a teacher and is a junior in college studying for exactly that. I worry every day about parents like the dumbed-down, ignorance-worshipping cretins on this board who blame everything they hate -- which is everything, actually -- on teachers.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:05 PM

27,625 posts, read 21,034,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadSpeak View Post
No one gives a damn your "uncle" served in the military the fact that he took it upon himself to change what was written in text books to his students is a disgrace and the fact that you seem to be proud of him is rather disgusting. You and the rest of your mindless band of merry fools are what is wrong with this country. What exactly did your right wing wacko of an uncle "change" in the texts ? Would it have been fine with you if he considered george washington a terrorist ? How about Able Lincoln as the worst person ever? Would you have even cared if he decided to rewrite WW2 and considered the nazis as real patriots ? The fact that you seem to think it's ok that he decided to change what he thought was "revisionist history" is rather pathetic. Home schooling is a joke and is limited by what the parents know and can teach properly, also by keeping your kid home he/she ends up lacking the ability to work as a team member and develop friendships that could last a long time.

Homeschooling is a disservice to students, and parochial School ?? I guess if you have the money and have no problem with sending your kid to a school where one of the classes would be bible/torah study I suppose that would be fine. But then again if I had kids I wouldn't want to send them to a school related to a corrupt religion that hides pederasts and promotes them to positions of power.
I have often wondered about that myself. How much can a willfully ignorant, unworldly, anti-science, possibly uneducated parent teach a child? I'm sure that in many, not all, but in many instances, these homeschooling parents are doing nothing more than continuing and passing on the ignorance that they posess for generations of their family to come.

Last edited by sickofnyc; 04-10-2013 at 09:32 PM..

Old 04-10-2013, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
I have often wondered about that myself. How much can a willfully ignorant, unworldly, anti-science, possibly uneducated parent teach a child? I'm sure that in many, not all, but many instances, these homeschooling parents are doing nothing more than continuing and passing on the ignorance that they posess for generations of their family to come.
Try reading more. Home schoolers score higher in both ACT and SAT tests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies