Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 10:05 AM

25,840 posts, read 16,515,156 times

Advertisements

Sounds like the manager of the restaurant she worked at was a really good guy and wanted to help her in any way he could. Then Hooters Corporate stepped in and demanded she wear a wig, even though it would affect her healing or her hair regrowth.

I hope they give her a billion dollars just because of sheer stupidity by Hooters Mgmt.

And you union haters wonder why the working people need some power from idiocy like this.

Hooters Waitress Says Post-Brain Surgery Appearance Cost Her Job - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 10:12 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,363,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Sounds like the manager of the restaurant she worked at was a really good guy and wanted to help her in any way he could. Then Hooters Corporate stepped in and demanded she wear a wig, even though it would affect her healing or her hair regrowth.

I hope they give her a billion dollars just because of sheer stupidity by Hooters Mgmt.

And you union haters wonder why the working people need some power from idiocy like this.

I agree bad call by the corporate office, I mean who was looking at her head or hair anyway.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:12 AM

3,846 posts, read 2,383,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post

Is this any different from measles?

Old 04-10-2013, 10:14 AM

25,840 posts, read 16,515,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
I agree bad call by the corporate office, I mean who was looking at her head or hair anyway.
HAHA I was kind of thinking that too.

I mean the poor girl is fighting for her life and maybe the job and the interaction with the customers will keep her in a positive frame of mind.

This regional mgr should be fired today and I hope the only job he gets is a drivethrough mgr at McDonalds. What an idiot.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:17 AM

6,260 posts, read 5,066,250 times
I do think the point in the article about attractive physical appearance being a requirement of the job may hold up if the case sees a court room. There's not many situations where you could say that, but this may be one of those cases.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:21 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,164,623 times
While it's sad, Hooters girls are hired to be "camera ready" waitresses. They have body standards that the girls must uphold and that includes hair. I used to work with someone who was a Hooters girl on Friday and Saturday nights. If you have dyed hair and come in with visible undyed roots, you can be sent home. Have to take steroidal medication and gain weight? You can be fired.

It's like any body-based job position (models, call girls, etc). If you don't meet their beauty standards, you don't have a job.

From the article:

Quote:
The Americans With Disabilities Act prohibits employers from discriminating against qualified individuals who have a disability.
Having "perfect" hair is a qualification for Hooters. Without perfect hair, she's not qualified.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:28 AM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
The company was within it's rights.....but it's still a sh*tty thing to do and will rightfully garner them a bunch of bad press.

Not sure where the "union haters" thing comes from but I will bite.

If that Hooters had been a union shop her job would have been only to put the ketchup on your frenchfries because you could get ketchup on your shirt or create a safety hazard by putting it on the ground. She'd have gotten the job because her uncle is a local city councilman and he has control over the restaurants liquor license and also got the owner (his wifes cousin) a new concrete pool patio using a city work crew and also had the fire department stop by to fill his pool for him using $700 worth of city water.

P.S. Before someone sqwaks...I put that example together using union work rules for McCormick place conventions in Chicago (you cannot plug a cord into a socket without using a union electrician) as well as actual real examples that have made the news in Chicago over the years. It's all real examples. lol.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:31 AM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
I do think the point in the article about attractive physical appearance being a requirement of the job may hold up if the case sees a court room. There's not many situations where you could say that, but this may be one of those cases.
As Gallows pointed out so eloquently....she really doesn't have a strong case.

However, she can still sue and the continued bad press will be out there.

As such, Hooters will probably give her a modest settlement to make it go away.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:32 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,645,339 times
One word: wig.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:35 AM

6,260 posts, read 5,066,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
One word: wig.
She can't wear a wig because it causes her pain around a healing scar.

Agree with Mathguy - lots of bad press and a settlement check to make the story go away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies