Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 02:11 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
I really don't know what he's taking about, except he's describing the inner cities of the 1970s that was inundated with crime and drugs. Since the 70s, most cities have rebounded. It's true for NY, Baltimore and most other cities. Crime has also fallen.
Oh, goody!

Another chart!

Tell you what.....walk through the black parts of NY, Balt. Philly, Detroit, Atlanta, etc. after dark in the warm weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 02:13 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
BTW.....Justice Thomas is right.

No one speaks the truth about it, especially lefties.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:14 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,512,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainforest338 View Post
One girl I used to know was an elementary school teacher in the inner city in Dallas. Her classes were 99% black and poverty stricken. Said the kids would always talk about how they were gonna be famous rappers or football/basketball players. Even at 6-7 years old they were all calling each other the n-word and referring to the girls in the class as ******* and hoes, and busting a cap in people dissing them. She said they got it all from home, the few parents that would come for conferences didn't care and would tell here to not worry about how the kids behaved.
And predominately black schools were not like this until the 70s and 80s.

And when they get old enough they will not be able to get a job because they lack basic skills. Many of them will turn to drugs/gangs to make money. And society will continue to blame white folk. Shame really. No reason to think black kids can't do as well as anyone else.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:25 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
When I was a child, Harlem, the classic black neighborhood, was a rundown ghetto. Today the apartments are pricey and it's safe.
So this tells the whole story? Harlem?

What about the entire city of Detroit? Or Memphis? Or New Orleans? Or south Chicago?

Or any of the cities on the article below:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/drew-h...b_2574905.html

Detroit
Baltimore
Oakland
Miami
Birmingham
Atlanta
Stockton
Buffalo
St. Louis
Flint

I suspect these are some of the cities/communities Thomas is talking about.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:45 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
Black people should stay in school and learn how to read. They should also stop having children out of wedlock. That is the cause of poverty in most cases. Doesn't matter what race a person is. If they learn English and math and stuff and wait to have kids they will almost certainly be better off.

This occurs with whites too but it is more prevelant among blacks than other racial groups in the United States
. Of course, we aren't allowed to say that.

Wanting people to be successful in life is racist.

As long as people make excuses for bad behavior instead of addressing the problem we can expect things to get worse, never better.
[MOD CUT/off topic]

I also think you are wrong about which race it affects more. I large percentage of my white high school class mates are either married with a kid or single with a kid(im 21), same with many of my college class mates and they are struggling. It is a cultural thing.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 04-10-2013 at 05:10 PM..

Old 04-10-2013, 03:44 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
That Clarence Thomas has supernatural observational powers. Wow.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:29 PM

17,775 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
That Clarence Thomas has supernatural observational powers. Wow.

Well he DID observe that the republican line for african american politicians was a lot shorter than the democratic one. Poor George HW had no choice but to nominate a black guy for SCOTUS and he had no choice but to nominate a conservative. Clarence was one smart cookie.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:34 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Well he DID observe that the republican line for african american politicians was a lot shorter than the democratic one. Poor George HW had no choice but to nominate a black guy for SCOTUS and he had no choice but to nominate a conservative. Clarence was one smart cookie.
I've been saying that for years. If you really wanna see Affirmative Action in its most incredible form, watch how fast a black man can rise in the Republican Party. You can go from zero to hero pretty quickly.

I'm not saying that it's a bad thing, but it's damn sure the truth.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:28 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I've been saying that for years. If you really wanna see Affirmative Action in its most incredible form, watch how fast a black man can rise in the Republican Party. You can go from zero to hero pretty quickly.

I'm not saying that it's a bad thing, but it's damn sure the truth.
Not so much Affirmative Action just less competition.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:38 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Yes, crime has fallen. But rebounded? Not even close.

Detroit, New Orleans, Newark, St Louis, Oakland, Philly, etc have higher murder rates than Mexico. I would not call that a rebound.

And poverty and government dependence is at an all time high. They have become permanent conditions for far too many Americans.
The homicide rate in Ciudad Juarez is much higher than any American city. You can't compare cities with the whole country, but if you compare Mexico's most dangerous cities with US cities, Mexicans have a much higher crime rate. If you compare US with Mexico, the US has a lower homicide rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies