Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What % of Welfare Recipients will be cut off when they get tested for drugs?
10% will be cut off 10 16.67%
20% will be cut off 16 26.67%
50% will be cut off 18 30.00%
90% will be cut off 5 8.33%
Welfare Recipients don't use drugs. 4 6.67%
The testing is wrong, let them use drugs or smoke weed. 3 5.00%
Are we talking about Meth or Weed? 4 6.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 03:55 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,929,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
I don't know. What percentage of Congress would be kicked out if they were tested for drugs or excessive alcohol use?
Rep for you! Yes, and they're all living on the taxpayer's dime. I wish I had their health care benefits! (and their pensions)

Just a note: I know this brief comment isn't about drugs & alcohol, and I really liked Anthony Weiner (politically, that is) so I was sad when he left Congress in shame. However, can you imagine being fired from your job and still collecting $46k a year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 04:01 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Again-

1. planned UDS- drug abusers just held off abusing drugs for four days and were fine (except pot). One can use heroin on the day of a UDS and test negative.

2. Non witnessed UDS- testing someone else's urine does no good

3. One time testing- test frequently and you will discover abusers.

4. sensitivity of assay- most UDS screens do not detect sythetic and semi-synthetic opiates

Wake up-
I guess the TX lawmakers need to wake up, because they will end up wasting taxpayer money just like we did in Florida.

Old 04-12-2013, 04:20 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,335,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Really? Billions? cite?

Even the most rabid anti drug testing sites note that Florida spent a bit over $118,000, nowhere close to the billions you claim.

I might have over estimated a bit.

The point is that this test is bogus and saves the tax payer nothing. It also tries to enforce a completely false stereotype that most people on welfare are drug users. On top of all the studies showing that this test does NOTHING for the taxpayer, I can say I grew up around poor people. All of my friends as a kid had free lunches and most of their parents were probably on some form of government assistance. The overwhelming majority of people on government assistance need the help because they have too many kids and are most likely going through a divorce. Drugs have absolutely nothing to do with it.

Old 04-12-2013, 04:23 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,406,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I guess the TX lawmakers need to wake up, because they will end up wasting taxpayer money just like we did in Florida.
AND the Florida law is still not being enforced because it is tied up in federal court determining whether it violates Constitutional rights or not. So far it looks like the courts are saying it is a violation. The 11th Circuit Court of Appeals was the last to rule on this issue, back in February 2013.

Old 04-12-2013, 04:23 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,335,752 times
This whole poll is hilarious.

Some of you people need to get away from your pristine, white, gated communities and see the poor for what they really are. I can't believe how out of touch so many of you people are with the massive working class population in America. No where even close to 50% of people on welfare are drug users.

Old 04-12-2013, 04:30 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,406,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
This whole poll is hilarious.

Some of you people need to get away from your pristine, white, gated communities and see the poor for what they really are. I can't believe how out of touch so many of you people are with the massive working class population in America. No where even close to 50% of people on welfare are drug users.
Out of touch indeed. And they rely on old, out-dated beliefs to find somebody blame.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:19 PM

30,063 posts, read 18,660,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You either did not read or understand what I said. Again- I do this every day and am board certified in this area of medicine. To presume greater knowledge or experience in this area is simply an outrage. Do you ask the pilot of commercial aircraft you are flying to move back to coach and let you take over? This is the absurdity of liberalism, which is a perfect example of the Dunning-Kruger effect.

If implemented, as I had suggested, UDS screening would save the tax payers a ton of money. What is needed (for those who refuse to read or who cannot).

1. Witnessed UDS

2. random and frequent UDS testing

3. screens which include synthetic and semi-synthetic opioids, as well as those which will detect metabolites of cocaine and amphetamines.

Only in that format can one expect reasonable results. A planned, one time, unwitnessed UDS is insane, as it will produce NO USEFUL INFORMATION- except to liberals who really do not want to know the truth.

Wake up

Old 04-12-2013, 08:22 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,044,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post

You did not read the link, particularly the passage under "illegal drug use".

Typical lib.

Again, I have conducted thousands of urine drug tests and am well aware of the limits and capabilities of those tests on the market.

I can say that 90% of the medicaid patients we have followed test positive for illegal drugs over a one year period. How many UDS tests have you ordered and evaluated?

When the facts do not conform to the liberal view of the world ( the hard working, honest poor folk- who are poor simply because of mean capitalists), they just ignore the facts.

I am afraid that welfare recipients have a very high incidence of illegal drug use.
You seem to be ignoring the results of actually requiring the testing in FL. That is a FACT that is indisputable. 2% were using. That's All!

So 90% of Medicaid recipients are using Illegal Drugs? All those old people in Nursing homes are going out & buying drugs? Do the dealers come into the nursing homes, or do the homes run bus trips to the "corner?" About a third of Medicaid recipients are in LTC facilities. About half are young children. Are the babies illegal drug users, too?

You cannot claim that YOUR 90% experience (If in fact that is correct) is anywhere near representative of the entire group of medicaid recipients. Even 10% of your "experience" is simply unreasonable.

In answer to your question about others being involved in testing, I began my involvement many years ago, when I tested thousands as a department head in a Forensics lab, and then in more recent years manufacturing the test equipment. You know who the largest users of illegal drugs were back then - Professional athletes. And that was before Marijuana was even detectable by the screening technology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies