Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2013, 06:38 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,132,464 times

Advertisements

I couldn't find any catagory on this website for this post but it does concern world politics. I hope there are some Polish people that will read my post.
I am reading James Michener's book 'Poland', which I think everyone should read: their struggle for freedom and democracy while their neighbors wanted them eliminated. The novel was published in 1983 but a lot has happened in Poland since that date. I know very little about what is happening in Poland today. Have they finally reached their goal of freedom? Have they regained their original borders? Tell me some more about Poland?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 07:28 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,571,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylly View Post
Have they regained their original borders?
Define "original" in this context - when it comes to Poland, that's a complicated question. Are we talking about the 16th c. Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth? Or the House of Wettin pre-1772 borders? Or Congress Poland? Or the post-1918 First Republic? Half of what is now Poland was German-speaking provinces before 1945: Preussen, Pommern, Neumark and Schlesien.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:31 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,132,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
Define "original" in this context - when it comes to Poland, that's a complicated question. Are we talking about the 16th c. Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth? Or the House of Wettin pre-1772 borders? Or Congress Poland? Or the post-1918 First Republic? Half of what is now Poland was German-speaking provinces before 1945: Preussen, Pommern, Neumark and Schlesien.
I am trying to complete Michener's novel of Poland in my mind, as it ends before 1983. It has endured sense the dark ages in it's struggle for freedom. This is a very depressing novel of oppresshion. I would like to hear that today there is some happiness and joy that this country has struggled for. What kind of government do they have now?

Old 04-11-2013, 09:43 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylly View Post
I am trying to complete Michener's novel of Poland in my mind, as it ends before 1983. It has endured sense the dark ages in it's struggle for freedom. This is a very depressing novel of oppresshion. I would like to hear that today there is some happiness and joy that this country has struggled for. What kind of government do they have now?
Wikipedia has an extensive article on Poland, as well as articles about the Cold War and related issues. Try there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies