Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2013, 03:23 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,881,317 times

Advertisements

[quote=desertdetroiter;29082976]
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post

I can go further than that since you didn't like my last comment:

Take every player in the HOF that played during segregation out of the HOF because they didn't play against the best competitionvand they damn well knew it.

After that, we can talk about Jackie's merits. But not before then.

If you wanna be an ass, then I can play that game too.

Thanks. So obviously based on on field accomplishment you dont think Jackie deserves to be in the Hall.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:25 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
I think you mean Larry Doby. Dobie Gray was a singer.
You are correct.

I meant Larry Doby.

Thank you.

Doby Gray's Drift Away is one of my favorite songs.

Johnny Gray is another person whom I admire.

The 800 meters may be practically a sprint, but I did it, and I am still a harrier.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:29 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
[quote=smittyjohnny38;29083031]
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

Thanks. So obviously based on on field accomplishment you dont think Jackie deserves to be in the Hall.
I'm telling you that its not even up for discussion until we talk about undeserving white people first. I don't go around trying to justify black accomplishments to unaccomplished people like yourself.

Justify Kennesaw Landis first...we'll start there and go down the line.

We can discuss Jackie when you're done.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:35 PM

Quote:

It's a Hollywood movie about a famous person with an interesting story. Hollywood is in the business of making movies that people will want to see. It's a business. I think your suggestion that they not make this movie smacks of a leftist anti-business agenda. Just because you find it an assault on your whiteness doesn't mean that such business endeavors should be squelched.
"Whiteness" has nothing to do with it.

I am glad that Jackie Robinson and Larry Doby broke the "color barrier".

I just wonder why it even matters anymore.

It was a big thing in 1953.

It shouldn't be a big thing in 2013.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:38 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
As a baseball purist I believe that on field performance should be the only criteria for ones admission into the Hall of Fame. Can someone in good faith please tell me how Jackie Robinsons play warrants a position in the Hall of Fame? As a diehard Yankees fan aLLOW ME TO THROW SOME STATS YOUR WAY

Don Mattingly hits: 2152
Jackie Robinson hits: 1518

Don Mattingly homeruns: 222
Jackie Robinson homeruns: 139

Don Mattingly fielding percentage: 996
Jackie Robinson fielding percentage: 983

Don Mattingly gold gloves: 9
Jackie Robonsin gold gloves: 0

Don Mattingly rbi: 1099
Jackie Robonsin rbi: 734

Don Mattingly silver slugger awards: 3
Jackie Robinson silver slugger awards: 0

I can go on and on even further with more stats if you want!
How is it fair that Jackie Robinson is in the hall of fame and not Don Mattingly if Don Mattingly is better in every category and overall better? I think so. Jackie Robinson was above average but not Hall worthy. Racism got Jackie Robinson into the Hall of Fame
And he did that all in nine years, you can whine all you want about Jackie Robinson, but he is still going to be a Hall of Famer because he already made it in.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:39 PM

Quote:
It's a Hollywood movie about a famous person with an interesting story. Hollywood is in the business of making movies that people will want to see. It's a business. I think your suggestion that they not make this movie smacks of a leftist anti-business agenda. Just because you find it an assault on your whiteness doesn't mean that such business endeavors should be squelched.
I don't even know what "whiteness" means.

I do know what "whiteness" means, and skin color has nothing to do with being human being.

One is human, regardless of skin color.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is a moron.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:39 PM

[quote=desertdetroiter;29083124]
Quote:

I'm telling you that its not even up for discussion until we talk about undeserving white people first. I don't go around trying to justify black accomplishments to unaccomplished people like yourself.

Justify Kennesaw Landis first...we'll start there and go down the line.

We can discuss Jackie when you're done.

You're quite defensive when stats are thrown your way indicating that Jackie Robinson probably got into the HOF based on the color of his skin. Let that sensitivity go and just look at the numbers. If I WAS LIKE YOU id proclaim 'MLB IS RACIST because Don Mattingly didnt get into the HOF and Jackie Robinson did'. Your scenario is idiotic because those white players were the best at the given time. They had no control over whether or not black players were on the field, it was their superiors. They were the best for their time. Now where I will agree with you wholeheartedly is that I believe many of the players pre-black era are historically and undeniably overrated because they didn't play against the best competition..but that wasnt their fault! I believe Ruth was extremely overrated because of this and that is why though many proclaim him the best ever, I believe Willie Mays was the greatest player to ever step foot on a baseball diamond.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
And he did that all in nine years, you can whine all you want about Jackie Robinson, but he is still going to be a Hall of Famer because he already made it in.

Yes..He's in because of the color of his skin and his story

Old 04-11-2013, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
"Whiteness" has nothing to do with it.

I am glad that Jackie Robinson and Larry Doby broke the "color barrier".

I just wonder why it even matters anymore.

It was a big thing in 1953.

It shouldn't be a big thing in 2013.
It's called a movie!!! World War II happened w long time ago, but Hollywood can still make movies about it. Do movies only need to be about the present day?

Old 04-11-2013, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Yes..He's in because of the color of his skin and his story
Of course the color of his skin is a factor, he paved the way for the baseball we have today, don't like it, write a complaint letter to the MLB, I am sure they will remove him from the HOF for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies