Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 07:25 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,896,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech
Yeah, the idea that the government is a tool that can make people's lives better is lost on the OP and Rand Paul. That's what you get when their core belief is that the government should do nothing and can't do anything constructive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
You'd be wrong about that. Only YOU can make your life better. But the government can damned sure take it away from you and give it to someone else.

Anyone who thinks the government is there to help is the biggest fool God ever created.
Yeah, starving children in Appalachia are to blame because they didn't make their lives better.

I would contend that the student loan program and Pell grants have helped countless students. Government nutritional programs have also relieved countless children from the pain of hunger.

The ideology that believes that we shouldn't collectively help those who are needy to help them build better lives is both self-serving and cruel.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:27 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,558,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Wel first, look at the students at Howard....all members of the "gimme, gimme" crowd. This student reminds a good deal of the lady that said "Obama is gonna pay for my car" when the first campaign was in full swing.
uhh......what?

Old 04-11-2013, 07:38 AM

For a different perspective on Rand Paul's visit to Howard, among other things:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/11/op...howard.html?hp

Old 04-11-2013, 07:41 AM

69,368 posts, read 63,918,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Yeah, starving children in Appalachia are to blame because they didn't make their lives better.
no, starving childrens PARENTS are to blame.

Stop the victim mentality, its childish..

Old 04-11-2013, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
no, starving childrens PARENTS are to blame.

Stop the victim mentality, its childish..
Of course. If those poor folks in Appalachia weren't so........poor, their kids wouldn't starve, right?

Old 04-11-2013, 08:14 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,507,315 times
Quote:
If the government guaranteed 97% of the loans, then private mortgage insurance from AIG wouldn't have been necessary. But holders of the mortgages did buy private insurance to protect their CDOs in case the mortgage borrower didn't pay.

The fact is that it was deregulation coupled with short-term thinking on the part of financial companies that caused the crisis.
Here's an article by Ron Paul before the housing collapse. He says that when the collapse occurs people will blame "deregulation" and all this other other nonsense, while ignoring the real cause: The Fed.

Think it's funny. He knew what you guys would say years ago and he was exactly right.

Don't Blame the Market for the Housing Bubble by Ron Paul

Old 04-11-2013, 08:17 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,507,315 times
Quote:

I would contend that the student loan program and Pell grants have helped countless students. Government nutritional programs have also relieved countless children from the pain of hunger.

The ideology that believes that we shouldn't collectively help those who are needy to help them build better lives is both self-serving and cruel.
Another lie from the left. No one has a problem helping other people. Millions do it everday without a thought.

Saying the government can do it effectively just assures people will not rise out of poverty.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:59 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,735,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Yea the idea that government is the cause of our economic problems is lost on the big government loons.

You didn't watch the video or even read the article, if you had you would have noticed what Rand said about government instead of fraudulently accusing him. But scratching the surface like you do, it doesn't surprise me.
How's that working out for Somalia?

Old 04-11-2013, 09:06 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,331,288 times
Quote:
upwards of 97% of ALL mortgages in america are government guaranteed, so saying that 84% of the mortgages were held by private entities is not enough information and ridiculous, unless you back it up by saying HOW MANY OF THEM WERE GUARANTEED.

Thats like saying you borrowed money from your brother, and because he's unregulated, this means he's greedy, and you dont need to pay it back.

Come on, stop embarassing yourself, you're smart enough to know that simply being a private entity, doesnt mean that they dont have guarantees. Private entitites get guarantees, but still remain private and unregulated.
This is what I get out of your post, and others around the interwebs who post the same thing:
"Since they were guaranteed, OF COURSE they were going to put out mortgages that had no chance of being paid. But it's the government's fault for guaranteeing it!"

So, when individuals use government welfare to get by, they are horrible people with so sense of personal responsibility. But when a large corporation uses government guarantees, knowing they can't lose, and do some shady activity, it's the fault of the institution guaranteeing it, and not the corporation.

Government regulation is bad because it hurts private business, but deregulation means that it's the governments fault for letting them do what they do.

Does any of this sound about right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
You'd be wrong about that. Only YOU can make your life better. But the government can damned sure take it away from you and give it to someone else.
Awwwww...it'll be okay.

Quote:
Anyone who thinks the government is there to help is the biggest fool God ever created.

Help yourself! Damn!!!
I much prefer people who are able to make it on their own. But come on, as long as we have millions of jobs that pay $8/hour and less part time, we're going to have millions of people who are just not able to get by. That's just plain and simple fact.

You and your ilk look at it on a per-person basis instead of the society as a whole. Okay, that one person moves up out of the $8/hour job. Someone else takes his place. Cycle repeats. It doesn't end. No matter how many people work towards improving themselves, there will always be people in the low, low paying jobs. If everyone in the country had a PhD, someone would still be scraping goo of the inside of a garbage truck for minimal pay. I think it's also reasonable to believe that not everyone has the ability to move up into high paying, smart jobs. Some people just aren't able to do it.

So now what? I know you think that family and friends or even private charity should be able to help everyone, but I think that's wholly unrealistic. While the government can crate a lot of problems, don't try to convince me that it never helps or has no ability to help. If you believe that, your vision is just clouded by ideology.

Quote:
Yes, all of those people on welfare and living in the projects can credit government for making their lives better. Why without it, they might actually have jobs, live in areas with low crime rates, and might actually own a home..
Oh yeah? Who would they have these jobs through? Are you saying that there are thousands of decent-paying jobs out there just waiting to be filled by minimally-skilled individuals, but the welfare just keeps them from going for them?

Does it happen? Of course. Is it as rampant as you think? I do't think so. I would venture to guess that a good portion of people receiving welfare benefits would MUCH rather be working and earning an actual living. But, I mean, they do live a life of luxury on welfare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
Another lie from the left. No one has a problem helping other people. Millions do it everday without a thought.

Saying the government can do it effectively just assures people will not rise out of poverty.
So, you're suggesting that the government simply cannot help people? Or, am I reading your last statement correctly that you don't want the government program to be effective, because it will cause people to rely on it too much?

Old 04-11-2013, 09:11 AM

20,410 posts, read 12,311,635 times
Quote:
Yeah, the idea that the government is a tool that can make people's lives better is lost on the OP and Rand Paul. That's what you get when their core belief is that the government should do nothing and can't do anything constructive.

Not lost.... we just have watched the experiment and it failed.

and for the record, Republicans dont believe the government should do nothing and cant do anything constructive. That is a balled faced lie. You should stop repeating that meme

What we believe is that the role of government should be limited and freeing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies