Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2013, 12:44 PM

15,523 posts, read 10,487,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
I bet the school shooter would have killed just as many people using six 5 round magazines even if a 30 rd magazine was banned.
Not that it matters, but I don't know if he even knew what he had, several of those 30 round mags had 15 bullets left in them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 12:47 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,965,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Come to think of it - I have only seen that in the movies. Maybe Americans are confused about what is a movie and what is real? The reality is if you REALLY need a gun....if you can't do the job with a single shot than you should not own a weapon.
Oh, I'm SO glad you said that!
How about the cop in Great Falls,. Montana, who shot NINE TIMES at a perp, hit him twice, and neither hit was fatal?
How about the cop in Texas who shot at an unarmed man FORTY ONE times (that means he reloaded twice), hit the poor guy, IIRC, three times, and killed him?
How about the cops in California who shot up a pickup truck that had two women in it, only lightly injuring the occupants?
There are dozens, if not hundreds of similar incidents all across this country, and THESE are the people YOU are relying on to protect you!
Seems like we need to disarm the police, IF what you have stated is really TRUE!

Old 04-11-2013, 12:50 PM

39,849 posts, read 26,477,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Come to think of it - I have only seen that in the movies. Maybe Americans are confused about what is a movie and what is real? The reality is if you REALLY need a gun....if you can't do the job with a single shot than you should not own a weapon.
Lets run that experiment with government employees first. Arm all the cops with single shot .22s and see how that goes over. Uniformed police are far less likely to need a firearm for defense than a civilian, so it seems like a logical place to start. Criminals rarely target cops to prey on.

Old 04-11-2013, 12:51 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,843,220 times
If I need a 30 round "clip" what is it of your business exactly? I don't remember asking for your permission for my rights...

Old 04-11-2013, 12:54 PM

39,849 posts, read 26,477,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post
Again, see Arizona. Shooter was subdued while changing mags. Remember, there were two classrooms of dead children in Newtown. However, children did escape unharmed from both. While 2-3 seconds may not seem like a long time, it may certainly be long enough for more to escape or at least be on the move and thus make themselves a harder target to hit.

BTW, I love how every time the question of reload time is broached, the first thing someone does is post a video of a well trained/practiced enthusiast quickly changing magazines or speed loaders... most of these mass shooters are young men with little to no firearm training. Their reload time in the middle of a chaotic scene is going to be significantly longer than a marksman on a calm range. Just because there are youtube videos of guys hitting a major league curveball 500 ft, doesn't mean most or even a high percentage of people can do it.

Correct me if I am wrong...but weren't well over 100 rounds fired at Newtown. I seem to recall news reports that put the number around 160 or so. If so, he had to reload several times (at least 5) to do so. Meaning those reloads did nothing to stop him or save those kids. Now, I may well be wrong. If he only fired 30 times, perhaps you have a weak arguement. If it was more, you destroyed your own point.

Old 04-11-2013, 12:55 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,816,017 times
Only in a democrats mind restricting an abortion is a "war on women" but restricting a woman from owning a magazine is "common sense" because its "for the children"

Old 04-11-2013, 12:59 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,341,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
I did it once with a 9mm Glock. I was not instilled with a rush of adrenaline or a sense of power that my friends insisted I would be. But I would be fully supportive of gun ranges renting all sorts of interesting weapons for use only at their facility -- in exchange for making those illegal for possession.
Different strokes for different folks. Some people like to ride motorcycles or drive fast cars. others may skydive, ski, or ride horses.

If someone breaks into my home at 1am do you figure I'd be able to get to the gun range, get the gun, then get back to my home to protect my family?

Old 04-11-2013, 01:00 PM

23,844 posts, read 24,087,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
the chances of them actually needing them is like winning the lottery while being struck by lightening.

Armed Homeowner Shoots Robbers During Daytime Invasion (AZ) - YouTube

Old 04-11-2013, 01:01 PM

23,844 posts, read 24,087,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
People trying to have adult conversation and you attack!
The last thing you're interested in is having an adult conversation.

Old 04-11-2013, 01:03 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,341,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
Why would it matter if I have the means and knowledge? Correct me if I'm wrong, but you aren't required to demonstrate any knowledge to buy an AR-15.

That isn't the point of the question anyway. I don't expect any sort of reasonable answer because there isn't one. It's a rhetorical question.
You don't have to possess knowledge to buy an aircraft either. However, if you don't have the means or knowledge to operate it then it would just be a really cool conversation piece on your lawn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies