U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 07:23 AM

1,521 posts, read 1,611,209 times

Advertisements

This is a nice story about a small Iowa town that was failing. Main Street dead, storefronts boarded up and a rapidly declining population. But then the immigrants came. Now the town is thriving with dozens of new businesses, new residents and a revived school system. This is a story that could be told about any number of small towns and big city neighborhoods in America. And you want to deport these people?? I say keep the immigrants and deport about 30% of the Americans!
IMMIGRATION FOCUS: Ottumwa Leads National Trend | WHOTV.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 07:37 AM

36,787 posts, read 16,356,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Maurio View Post
This is a nice story about a small Iowa town that was failing. Main Street dead, storefronts boarded up and a rapidly declining population. But then the immigrants came. Now the town is thriving with dozens of new businesses, new residents and a revived school system. This is a story that could be told about any number of small towns and big city neighborhoods in America. And you want to deport these people?? I say keep the immigrants and deport about 30% of the Americans!
"Immigrants"? LOL! Illegal aliens aren't "immigrants". Citizens can't be deported. What a hypocrite! You don't want those unlawfully in our country deported as our laws state but you advocate deporting citizens? This country isn't for you and I suggest you move to the nearest Latino country of your choice where laws mean nothing.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:53 AM

41,492 posts, read 51,367,509 times
If a person looks like a US Citizen, acts like a US citizen and lives like a US citizen then they are indistinguishable from a US Citizen and should have a way to become a legal US citizen.

My problem is people that are just trying to make a better life for their families and themselves are treated terribly and exploited by everyone. This is in contrast to the immigrants from Cuba that are welcomed with open arms given all sorts of special help. We even accepted a bunch of real criminals at one time. AFAIK we still are.

I am still considering immigration to be both a problem and a benefit. I have not come to any conclusions.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:54 AM

9,243 posts, read 7,360,517 times
Quote:
Sounds more like an invasion of people that don't belong here.

Yes Americans failed in Deporting them.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
If a person looks like a US Citizen, acts like a US citizen and lives like a US citizen then they are indistinguishable from a US Citizen and should have a way to become a legal US citizen.

My problem is people that are just trying to make a better life for their families and themselves are treated terribly and exploited by everyone. This is in contrast to the immigrants from Cuba that are welcomed with open arms given all sorts of special help. We even accepted a bunch of real criminals at one time. AFAIK we still are.

I am still considering immigration to be both a problem and a benefit. I have not come to any conclusions.
Your pretense is all false.

If a bank robber looks and acts like a regular person should they dismissed of the crime to be a regular law abiding person?

Old 04-12-2013, 07:59 AM

22,952 posts, read 22,531,772 times
Quote:
So, we should embrace squatters now because they keep the house pretty? That's pretty much what is being said just on a different scale.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:03 AM

78,878 posts, read 33,547,251 times
Very few have a problem with immigration. The problem of course is those who want to do it illegally. There is not a single country in the world with open borders and there is a reason for that.

It's in a countries best interest to know who is coming here.

If those coming here legally want to try and make it a go somewhere that is struggling, that is great.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:04 AM

16,281 posts, read 9,111,789 times
well the story doesnt say a word about these people being illegal so I assume they are legal? As a conservative that opposes illegal immagration, and wants reform that blocks illegal entry and a process to deal with illegals that does not involve amnesty, this story makes me very very happy!

I like to see stories of immagrants being successful in America. That is one of the main things that has made America great.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:08 AM

18,624 posts, read 16,426,727 times
Did immigrants build the meat packing plant that drew the immigrants to the town in the first place. I know this makes a nice story for the liberal media but saying they built up the area where Americans failed is a mistake.

Where America failed is creating a welfare state which makes working an option for millions of Americans.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
well the story doesnt say a word about these people being illegal so I assume they are legal? As a conservative that opposes illegal immagration, and wants reform that blocks illegal entry and a process to deal with illegals that does not involve amnesty, this story makes me very very happy!

I like to see stories of immagrants being successful in America. That is one of the main things that has made America great.
I wouldn't be so glee about that.

The media likes to spin immigrant to make them look legal. A few weeks ago AP wanted to abandon the word illegal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies