Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 02:05 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,036,200 times

Advertisements

Do you EVER check to see if there is already a thread on the topic you are about to author?

Father furious over paper in son's backpack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 02:09 PM

20,715 posts, read 19,357,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordlover View Post
Wow, if I found out that the teacher had used that sentence as part of an assignment in class I'd be all over this as well. I know it was right after newtown and all but it's really no excuse.

Teacher needs to present both sides, and let them choose, age appropriate of course.
We already did. The public school system as it is is a plank in the Communist Manifesto.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:23 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post
Again, you're missing my point. What activity occurred? The parents and teacher are telling two different stories... so who is telling the truth? I've outlined 3 reasons why I believe the parents may be untrustworthy. When you look at all three reasons I listed, I think it's reasonable to infer that they are opportunistic people looking for their 15 mins of fame.
Oh stop, here, lets try to show you how ridiculous your responses are

If the parent that inquired about it four months ago, instead went to the media, how would this change anything, since most of your excuses are because its now months later..

How does the parent reacting badly, change what the teacher did?

Old 04-12-2013, 02:29 PM

7,140 posts, read 4,738,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Don't you know your kids no longer belong to you anymore, they belong to the "community"

Good one.
Yeah, what's wrong with you people? Your kids now belong the the "community" which is being indoctrinated to believe they need to give up their freedoms. One more generation going down the tubes through public education.
best,
toodie

Old 04-12-2013, 02:41 PM

2,075 posts, read 4,445,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
How does the parent reacting badly, change what the teacher did?
Again, what did the teacher do? The facts are thin because this parent went to the media with his concerns and assumptions rather than taking it to the school and school district first. Here's a line from another source on the story:
Harvey says there is a meeting planned for next week where he plans to learn more about the intended assignment and the logic behind the follow-up activity.

Harvey is the father of the boy... don't you agree he should have first found out more from the school regarding the assignment before going to the media? This guy is more interested in seeing his name in print than about what his kid may or may not be learning in school.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:59 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,270,334 times
Quote:
Again, what did the teacher do? The facts are thin because this parent went to the media with his concerns and assumptions rather than taking it to the school and school district first. Here's a line from another source on the story:
Harvey says there is a meeting planned for next week where he plans to learn more about the intended assignment and the logic behind the follow-up activity.

Harvey is the father of the boy... don't you agree he should have first found out more from the school regarding the assignment before going to the media? This guy is more interested in seeing his name in print than about what his kid may or may not be learning in school.

This was what I was getting at which seems to go over pghquest's head. THE PARENTS didn't even know what the sentence was written for!

Again, CONTEXT is severely lacking in this story, and the over reaction of these parents, made a mountain out of a mole hill before getting the entire story.

Old 04-12-2013, 03:05 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,295,442 times
Quote:
best part of the story:
The paper sat unnoticed in Harvey’s son’s backpack for several months until last week, when his son’s mother almost threw it away.

Harvey, rather than asking the school for answers when he found the paper, wrote his concerns in an email, which was then forwarded to TheBlaze.

Papers he brings home sit in his backpack for months, yet now all of the sudden his parents are concerned with what he is learning in school? Just another nut trying to get on tv.
conservatives continue to drift further and further away from reality.

These types of incidents are hyped by conservatives to prove the insane narrative about public education and indoctrination, but the larger argument being advanced is that anything that we as Americans do together through our government, outside of killing people in the military or locking people up, is inherently evil and soul crushing.

It is a sick and twisted ideology.

Old 04-12-2013, 03:06 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rob123 View Post
I'm not saying that I agree with this if the teacher was telling the kids to write that. But let's not pretend that indoctrination is anything new to school age children.
Name any other "group" that has children recite that they pledge their allegiance to a symbol EVERY DAY, and isn't considered a cult.
Total deflection. And running the father down? Wow. Good grief, I certainly do not see every paper that has come home in my sons backpack. I check his assignments on Powerschool. It's the main reason I got a smartphone. So I could check on his school work anywhere, anytime.

This is a case of a teacher brainwashing kids. An obviously left winger, using the classroom as a soapbox. Sheesh, if she had hax them write "Jesus died for us" or Ronald Reagan was a great president" it wouldnt matter to you if the parents didn't find the paper till the kid graduates High School. You would want her head on a plate, and be fully supportive of the parents wanting it to.

Fact is, this embarasses your views, because the teacher got caught.

Old 04-12-2013, 03:08 PM

1,922 posts, read 2,778,042 times
Attack! because OP didn't notice there was already a post on the subject.

Old 04-12-2013, 03:14 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,321,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordlover View Post
Attack! because OP didn't notice there was already a post on the subject.
Right, because a thread titled "Father Furious Over Paper Found in Backpack" could be ANYTHING....
It's not rocket science. All he had to do was look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies