Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 12:10 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,707,985 times

Advertisements

That is one of the worst things about social media. Someone's victimization can be instantly broadcast and saved forever. And many teenagers don't see any other way out of the pain.

A friend and I were just talking about this over the weekend. It is so sad.

Some girls here sent inappropriate pics to some boys. The boys started blackmailing them that if they didn't send all of the pics they were told, they would send the pics to everyone, including the girls parents. So the girls did what they said until one of the phones was stolen and the police discovered the blackmailing by accident.

Our kids have to deal with so much more than we did. We only had to worry about people talking about something, now hundreds/thousands if people can watch your victimization over and over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 12:11 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,155,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Grow up. We're talking about teenagers - 15, 16 year old girls.
And that's different how exactly?

Old 04-12-2013, 12:13 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,215,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Grow up. We're talking about teenagers - 15, 16 year old girls.
And you're berating them and chalking the criminal assault up to "bad behavior."
Talk about a need to grow up.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:14 PM

77,903 posts, read 60,063,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Are women now only supposed to drink around other women, is that it? No socializing with men? Come on. And those guys are sexual offenders. Too bad, it's their own fault.
Young women AND men should NEVER drink heavily in situations like that without someone "having their back". A HIGHLY trusted friend that will scoot you home and keep some pervert from dragging her into a bedroom is mandatory plus there are also bad things that can happen to guys too.

That's how we operated in college. None of our drunk friends ever went home alone.

Look at that poor missing teacher of the year down in Louisiana or thereabouts? Went out celebrating with friends who didn't keep an eye on her and let her alone in the parking lot. She's dead somewhere in the woods now and her predator is still out there.

College student got drunk in Chicago one winter and left for his hotel alone. They found his body that spring after the ice on lake michigan thawed.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:19 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,155,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Young women AND men should NEVER drink heavily in situations like that without someone "having their back". A HIGHLY trusted friend that will scoot you home and keep some pervert from dragging her into a bedroom is mandatory plus there are also bad things that can happen to guys too.

That's how we operated in college. None of our drunk friends ever went home alone.

Look at that poor missing teacher of the year down in Louisiana or thereabouts? Went out celebrating with friends who didn't keep an eye on her and let her alone in the parking lot. She's dead somewhere in the woods now and her predator is still out there.

College student got drunk in Chicago one winter and left for his hotel alone. They found his body that spring after the ice on lake michigan thawed.
We have guys who leave the bars downtown by themselves, why the friends or at least one friend don't go with I have no idea, & go missing. Inevitably, their body is always found in the river. Just found the body of one guy who went missing New Year's Eve. I just knew when it warmed up & the river wasn't iced over anymore that they would find him. They just did last week. I agree there should be a buddy system. That still doesn't excuse the actions of these guys.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:22 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,762,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Your comment first berates the victim, then you talk about sexual assault being "bad behavior."
It's not bad behavior, it's criminal assault. Period. It's a very big deal.
The boys are sexual offenders and deserve to be marked for life.
Holy moley.

And if she was drugged.
How do you teach her about those consequences?
You think all girls should stay at home, go out in burquas with male chaperones?
I am not berating the victim and you know it. FFS does everything have to be spelled out to you? "Bad" behavior covers a host of different behavior. It's not the schools responsibility to teach children about sexual assault and rape. That belongs to the parent(s).

My grandson has known about not taking anything offered to him by anyone since he was 11 years old - that includes food and liquids. He has known since he was 8 years old not to leave his drink (soda, juice, whatever) unattended and if he does to throw it away. He knows about drugs and drinking and the consequences. Holy moley, his mother is teaching him about that!!! I'm pretty sure that if he was ever in a situation where that crap was going on he would have the good sense to try to stop it and not participate in any way - and that would include standing around and watch it unfold.

These things are happening in HOMES. Where are the parents? I guess you think it's OK that a bunch of teenagers have parties such as this, drink alcohol, and no adult supervision is necessary.

I gather you don't know squat about being a parent, but you sure do know all about sucking on lemons.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Your comment first berates the victim, then you talk about sexual assault being "bad behavior."
It's not bad behavior, it's criminal assault. Period. It's a very big deal.
The boys are sexual offenders and deserve to be marked for life.
Holy moley.

And if she was drugged.
How do you teach her about those consequences?
You think all girls should stay at home, go out in burquas with male chaperones?
1) You really are beating up the poster over semantics. Clearly they understand the severity of sexual assault as they mention them getting labeled sex offenders.

2) Clearly the girl exhibited poor judgement by getting crap faced around a bunch of scumbags with nobody there watching her back. Let me put it this way, if my neice told me she was going to a beer-pong tourny at a frat house by herself I would SURE AS HECK tell her that's not a great idea because yeah....she COULD be drugged and raped etc.

The hyperbole about burqas and male chaperones is garbage but if you want to be all "girl power" and send your neice to go get her booze on at the Tappa Tappa Kegga frat all by herself then go for it but it's not a wise move.

It's not the girls fault she got raped, but it is poor judgement by anyone....male or female to put themselves in the position to be raped, assaulted etc. They are 2 separate things and to say someone used poor judgement is not blaming them but rather a statement of fact.

If I sit on the subway counting a fat stack of cash at 2AM in front of everybody, I guess you can't say it's poor judgment because that would be blaming the victim if I got mugged?

Old 04-12-2013, 12:25 PM

13,562 posts, read 21,332,359 times
A father might think of making those rapists gator bait when the justice system fails..........

Old 04-12-2013, 12:26 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,762,715 times
Quote:
And that's different how exactly?
The difference would be you talking about WOMEN and MEN and the subject matter at hand is about teenagers.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:
We have guys who leave the bars downtown by themselves, why the friends or at least one friend don't go with I have no idea, & go missing. Inevitably, their body is always found in the river. Just found the body of one guy who went missing New Year's Eve. I just knew when it warmed up & the river wasn't iced over anymore that they would find him. They just did last week. I agree there should be a buddy system. That still doesn't excuse the actions of these guys.
Agree 100%.

Nothing excuses the behavior of the predators.

We need to teach our kids to make smart choices so as to minimize the risks of running into said predators or even just stumbling drunk and hitting their heads in sub-zero weather and dying of hypothermia.

IMO it's likely that somebody seriously let that girl down or she got lured to the party etc. I've heard of that happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies