Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 01:20 PM

20,718 posts, read 19,360,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Josef the Chewable View Post
Sadly, I fear there are far more people out there than we'd care to admit who would physically exploit someone else if they could get away with it. There's a thin veneer of civility, but dis-inhibiting factors (alcohol, peer pressure, immaturity) combined with some people's callous disregard for others leads to tragedies like this.

I remember being at a party when I was in high school many years ago. A visibly drunk sixteen-year old girl was with her boyfriend on the side of the house, and the guy was pressuring her to perform a sex act on him. An acquaintance of mine from my class was smiling and eager to "get in line", I suppose hoping to also be "serviced" by this young woman. I was shocked, and thankfully nothing happened, but I clearly saw how the boys had an attitude that the girl was a vulnerable, easily-manipulated object, not a person in any sense.

I can imagine this sociopathic indifference to the feelings and bodies of other human beings might have even been rewarded later in life in some cut-throat careers where empathy is considered weakness, i.e., "being a wuss."

I can only hope these young men are punished, and some good comes out of this awful situation.

The current ideology is self interest. It makes us all wealthy, or so I am told.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 01:21 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,392,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
These bastards should face accessory to murder charges as well as gang rape charges.
I agree that these guys should feel some wrath but I never agreed with how one can be charged with murder to something like this, she killed herself. It seems wrong to charge for murder, assault and rape yes, murder no.

Old 04-12-2013, 01:26 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I did my share of messing around as a teen. I never forced sex on any girl. I always figured they could hardly claim rape when they were on top. Let alone when they came back for seconds.

These bastards should face accessory to murder charges as well as gang rape charges.
They didnt murder anybody?

Old 04-12-2013, 01:31 PM

3,448 posts, read 3,132,371 times
It will get much worse. That we do know.

Old 04-12-2013, 01:55 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
I agree that these guys should feel some wrath but I never agreed with how one can be charged with murder to something like this, she killed herself. It seems wrong to charge for murder, assault and rape yes, murder no.
I think the possibility is at least an interesting argument. If bad guy A kills someone while committing a crime with bad guy B, bad guy B still gets charged with murder so there is precedent for charging people for murder when they did not actually kill anyone.

I do not know if I would go with murder but after thinking it all over I can see some sort of additional charges here.

But I also believe that those in law enforcement that refused to do their job should likely also be charged with something.

Old 04-12-2013, 03:25 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,649,020 times
Rape is still not treated seriously by law enforcement, even in 2013. If a girl is drunk at a party, and gets raped, apparently law enforcement still holds the reprehensible view that it's not a crime.

Old 04-12-2013, 03:32 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,620,441 times
Another sad case....I believe America is in a moral decline...I never understood Facebook, MY Space, etc..it teaches people to be narcissistic , doesn't anyone teach kids how to be upstanding citizens?

I really feel sad for the girls in these cases (this one and the one in Canada).

I can't imagine the hell she went through.....

Old 04-12-2013, 03:39 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,649,020 times
I hope Anonymous outs the perpetrators in Nova Scotia, and the names of the authorities who took no action.

Old 04-12-2013, 03:39 PM

1,127 posts, read 903,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I'm waiting for the regulars to pop in and say it was her personal problem, she was weak and that it was probably legitimate rape.
It was a gift from god, at least that's what some lunatic right wingers will claim

Old 04-12-2013, 03:47 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,392,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
Another sad case....I believe America is in a moral decline...I never understood Facebook, MY Space, etc..it teaches people to be narcissistic , doesn't anyone teach kids how to be upstanding citizens?

I really feel sad for the girls in these cases (this one and the one in Canada).

I can't imagine the hell she went through.....
I have avoided facebook, my friends keep telling me to join and I am thinking about doing so for the pure music scene factor, it is a good way to keep in touch with what is going on and who is playing out and getting in a inner circle to promote myself as well because I am looking for a band.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies