Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 03:30 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Seize the assets, skip all legal proceedings, violate any number of laws and the constitution....you forgot executing them and working them to death in gulags.

If I wanted to read such hateful garbage I'd stop avoiding Anne Coulter's junk.
And the people who believe those things are ok, are the first to complain when these companies move offshore.. mmm, such hatred against these big corporations I'm surprised we have any big companies left here..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 06:33 PM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
And the people who believe those things are ok, are the first to complain when these companies move offshore.. mmm, such hatred against these big corporations I'm surprised we have any big companies left here..
What blows my mind is that many of the people that say things like this...work in the public sector and are paid with tax revenues but they think it's like magical fairy money that just appears when in reality they're being paid by the Exxons, GE's etc. and their employees.

Kinda funny how you would get tax revenue from companies if they don't make profits.

That kind of hatred only comes from blind political indoctrination. (See global warming....both parties....for another example)

Old 10-29-2007, 06:35 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,883,423 times
Many of the big corporations already have moved offshore to avoid US corp. tax and government monitoring their books. Halliburton moved their headquarters to the United Arab Emirates (Abu Dhabi) so the U.S. government couldn’t do any investigative checking on their operations.

Yeah ,,,, these big major corporations just don’t need to beholding to our government and our nations laws. Back to Exxon for a minute, after all it was only a little oil spill due to a drunken ship caption who wasn’t even at the wheel when they ran aground. No,,, no one should be help accountable because it was just an accident and could have happened to anyone.

No one should be held accountable, responsible or even have to pay,,,,,, and no one has yet!

Old 10-29-2007, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Many of the big corporations already have moved offshore to avoid US corp. tax and government monitoring their books. Halliburton moved their headquarters to the United Arab Emirates (Abu Dhabi) so the U.S. government couldn’t do any investigative checking on their operations.

Yeah ,,,, these big major corporations just don’t need to beholding to our government and our nations laws. Back to Exxon for a minute, after all it was only a little oil spill due to a drunken ship caption who wasn’t even at the wheel when they ran aground. No,,, no one should be help accountable because it was just an accident and could have happened to anyone.

No one should be held accountable, responsible or even have to pay,,,,,, and no one has yet!
Wrong.. first, not one person here defending Exxon stated that they shouldnt be held accountable.

As for your statement about them being responsible.. They have already paid $3.5Billion thats BILLION in costs to clean up the mess that they created. Sure, they should be held responsible and not one person stated they should not pay to fix the mess.

Reasonable punitive damages should also be paid.. REASONABLE.. $5Billion punitive damages is more money than the sum of ALL punitive damages ever in federal court.. Excessive, and I dont at all blame Exxon for fighting such a claim.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:09 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
I guess I've not seen where lawsuits were designed to reward people punitive damages above and beyond the actual damages to deter future incidents.
That's because you've been lucky enough to never have gone through law school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day
So if I take my car to the car wash and they scratch it up, a new paint job is gonna cost me $900, I should expect them to pay me $1800 so they won't scratch someone elses car?
Actually, courts tend to use a "reasonableness" standard. Punitives are generally awarded only in the most egregious cases, and are typically a ratio. Your 1800 punitives for $900 bill is actually quite modest, and in the realm of "reasonable." $9000 for a $900 bill, on the other hand, would be "too much." It's something like 3:1 or 4:1 for "reasonable," I can't remember off hand.

But yes, you could get punitives depending on the situation. All of law is incredibly fact-dependent.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
That's because you've been lucky enough to never have gone through law school.

Actually, courts tend to use a "reasonableness" standard. Punitives are generally awarded only in the most egregious cases, and are typically a ratio. Your 1800 punitives for $900 bill is actually quite modest, and in the realm of "reasonable." $9000 for a $900 bill, on the other hand, would be "too much." It's something like 3:1 or 4:1 for "reasonable," I can't remember off hand.

But yes, you could get punitives depending on the situation. All of law is incredibly fact-dependent.
Its called treble damages, which is 3 to 1.. BUT.. Treble damages are ONLY awarded when there was an INTENT.. Did Exxon INTEND to spill their oil all over the place? Did they clean up their act, did they take responsibility for their actions.. Yes..

Old 10-29-2007, 09:03 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Its called treble damages, which is 3 to 1.. BUT.. Treble damages are ONLY awarded when there was an INTENT.. Did Exxon INTEND to spill their oil all over the place? Did they clean up their act, did they take responsibility for their actions.. Yes..
Treble damages are technically different from punitive damages.

Treble damages are provided for by statute, and allow a court to award 3x compensatory for WILLFUL conduct. Violation of the statute means you get the treble damages.

Punitive damages are typically found in tort actions, and don't necessitate a WILLFUL standard to be awarded, but can be awarded for reckless, wanton, outrageous, etc. behavior.

Old 10-30-2007, 06:15 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,630,098 times
So that does make sense if there is both willful negligence that leads to the incident, and negligence in making it right afterwards. My guess is that Exxon couldn't have possibly had any ill intent in the spill, and they did everything reasonable in correcting the mistake.

To me it basically sounds like Exxon feels the amounts are above and beyond what is reasonable, so they are challenging it, just like the courts allow to be done.

So could someone remind me again what is wrong with Exxon challenging, besides the fact you think they are a big, mean, evil corporation with tons of money so they should fork it over without caring how much they are being asked to part with?

Old 10-30-2007, 06:44 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post

I believe that partisan politics have blinded you to a rational discussion of the facts here....you even managed to drag Halliburton into the equation....why not go for the trifecta and go after Walmart while you are at it. (I know why).

For someone with as high of a rep as you do....you should be embarassed that you actually went and bolded something as poor as that. I had to re-read it a couple times as I couldn't believe you actually put that down.

Old 10-30-2007, 12:28 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,883,423 times
An earlier post someone mentioned that they couldn’t see why big corporations didn’t go offshore. I was only pointing out that some have, and others will follow. Halliburton is offshore with their corp office now.

The bold was for emphasizing a comment as you already know. The second paragraph is tongue in cheek sarcasm followed by the ridiculous thought that any business, corporation or private citizen isn’t responsible for their actions. They should be responsible if they caused damage, and no one yet has paid for that cleanup or the damage to the environment.

I’m not asking for you to agree with me, I’m providing my point of view and thoughts about this topic or thread. The last time I looked I believe that we have the right to voice our personal thoughts and express them. If your thoughts and feeling on this differ from mine then I can only say that you have your point of view. I respect your right to have a different point of view. It’s not to say that mine or yours are the correct ones. And yes I would have tossed Walmart into the post for the trifecta but I wanted to attempt to stay on target with the thread as best I could.

I can only hope that I am blinded by partisan politics as you had said. I’ve seen enough of what I no longer like and I can’t stomach much more of it.

These are points of view and personal opinions that are posted. Not everyone will have the same point of view or agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies