Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 09:45 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,445,137 times

Advertisements

Sorry but the government needs to immediately annul the marriages of all those who do not support gay marriage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 10:04 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,457,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
I think it is important to remember that it was only 11 months ago that Obama was publicly opposed to gay marriage due to "fundamental Christian values".

It will take sometime for people to come around.

I would argue the opposite of you -- that a Supreme Court ruling in favor of Gay Marriage would help the Republicans. This is a losing issue for their party and if the Supreme Court takes away the issue they can focus on more winnable positions and gain back some independents. Why do you think Obama made the 2012 election primarily about social issues?
Obama is still opposed is it a coincidence he said that right b4 reelection??

Old 04-12-2013, 10:08 PM

3,448 posts, read 3,131,227 times
so gay agreement can't be part of tradition because its not strikingly unanimous.

Last edited by stargazzer; 04-12-2013 at 10:20 PM..

Old 04-13-2013, 12:41 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,377,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
Even IF this were accurate, one thing the pro-gay marriage has to remember is that those people have the right to THEIR opinion.....too? I know that is often overlooked in the stampede to expose people who differ their opinions and desires but, it's true. You make it sound like a bad thing.

You know, they may just have something with that religion thing and pro creation. For this that don't believe or abide, be open minded. Suppose YOUR wrong??? Suppose there really IS a God and he really DOESN'T approve gay marriage. Just suppose those who believe are actually....right?

What then? You know, be open minded to change...be open minded to differing beliefs.

Whistling softly...
The anti same-sex marriage crowd have the right to their own opinions and beliefs.

No-one is trying to force them to marry someone of the same sex.

But they are the ones who are trying to force others to live by their beliefs.

I believe in having an open mind, but not so open that your brains fall out. Or so open it's empty of rational thought.

Last edited by Ceist; 04-13-2013 at 12:59 AM..

Old 04-13-2013, 02:22 AM

3,448 posts, read 3,131,227 times
People can say and believe and do what ever they want as far as I'm concerned, but no one will ever be able to convince anyone that the Gay Movement is doing anything other then trying to hijack /the word marriage. Its essentially as simple as that.

Last edited by stargazzer; 04-13-2013 at 02:34 AM..

Old 04-13-2013, 02:50 AM

408 posts, read 607,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazzer View Post
People can say and believe and do what ever they want as far as I'm concerned, but no one will ever be able to convince anyone that the Gay Movement is doing anything other then trying to hijack /the word marriage. Its essentially as simple as that.
what about hospital visiting rights? You don't think gay spouses deserve the right to be with their sick loved ones?

Unless you're unaware of the legal ramifications of marriage, that's pretty disgusting.

So which is it? Ignorance or hate?

Old 04-13-2013, 07:35 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,273,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
"Come around?" Why should anybody "come around?"

Marriage means one thing: The union of a man and a woman. Period.

Why is it that homosexuals living together find it so important to be referred to as "married?" They can have civil unions; but, marriage means only one thing: The union of a male and female.
They need to have that word. It signifies normalcy, a feeling that they have not had since they first looked at someone of their own gender and felt an attraction.

Old 04-13-2013, 07:43 AM

3,913 posts, read 5,227,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
The anti same-sex marriage crowd have the right to their own opinions and beliefs.

No-one is trying to force them to marry someone of the same sex.

But they are the ones who are trying to force others to live by their beliefs.

I believe in having an open mind, but not so open that your brains fall out. Or so open it's empty of rational thought.
I'm being the devils advocate here. In as much as those who are for it AND are trying to change law to approve it doesn't make them more right or privileged as those who oppose. Those who oppose have the enviable position of being on the side of current law that favor their stance. Nothing more,or less?

You are contradicting yourself and displaying some hypocrisy here. You are trying to make the "incumbents" live by your beliefs? Who is right? Who is wrong? Ergo the supreme court's current challeng.

It's not an easy decision and frankly I feel sorry for those that have to make that legal decision for all to live by. This is right up there with the abortion debate. It's beyond difficult. In the end, the laws tend to error on the side for all. However, historically the court does tend to follow the will of the people and justify their rulings accordingly.

In the end, if the court strikes down the appeals to change and favor same sex unions, it will be interesting to see how the traditionally left feel about it and how they will publicly react. Should the court go this way at least be comforted by the fact that the masses aren't stoning the gays to death or treating them as poorly as they did as little as 20 years ago?

Overall I'd say America is rather tolerant even if half do not approve. At the very least we should consider civility above all even when we disagree. Don't you think?

Old 04-13-2013, 07:54 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,487,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
"Come around?" Why should anybody "come around?"

Marriage means one thing: The union of a man and a woman. Period.

Why is it that homosexuals living together find it so important to be referred to as "married?" They can have civil unions; but, marriage means only one thing: The union of a male and female.
What planet are you from? We cannot have civil unions, because of DOMA those are denied to us too. Marriage can and is same sex marriage too, not just man and woman.

Old 04-13-2013, 07:56 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,237,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
NBC/WSJ poll: 53 percent support gay marriage - First Read

The article also says opposition has increased 2% over the year, too. So perhaps some of the undecided are breaking against the issue.

The politics makes sense given the GOP is the home to the cultural conservatives, a key part of the GOP coalition. Also note the overall pro- results are within the polls' margin of error, so the country is still pretty much divided over this issue. The USSC decisions will be key. I think if the court rules against gay marriage (the California case) you will see the pro- numbers drop a bit.

The question is, in the unlikely event of a positive (for the gays) ruling, what the GOP political response will be? Another try at a Constitutional amendement banning same-sex marriage? I think this is maybe more plausible than it sounds IF it can get out of Congress and to the states....

...the interesting pardox is a conservative loss on the issue in the courts would be a bonus to the GOP as a way of keeping their base engaged & mobilized, around a constitutional amendment campaign..

Key takeway, though, is that the polling isnt overwhelmingly pro- same-sex marriage. Opinion is still divided.
What are you trying to do here OP, incite controversy?

I guess one could say, welp, so much for the GOP re-branding itself? Same stuff inside of a new and improved packaging label?

Daily Kos: GOP rebranding update: What rebranding?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies