Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 01:05 AM

69,368 posts, read 63,992,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
The CBO showed a surplus between 1998-2000. Though I suspect for some it is easier to believe in conspiracy theories then credit a Democrat.
no, the CBO showed a surplus of only the public debt, not the total debt. The TOTAL debt went up, see the link below for verification.

Or do you think the US Treasury office is in on that conspiracy theory just to make you look wrong?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
You are Exhibit A. You spew half truths, contempt, and insults every day on this forum, yet you would love to have power. Why would we give it to you? We're not idiots.
Haha, so if the US Treasury Department says I'm correct, and you're wrong,

(and here is the link to prove it)

http://www.treasurydirect.gov/govt/r...ebt_histo4.htm
Government - Historical Debt Outstanding - Annual 2000 - 2012

I would think you'd know this to be true by now since its only been posted 100 different times.

Last edited by CaseyB; 04-13-2013 at 04:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 01:12 AM

370 posts, read 439,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
And Obama has more Americans on food stamps than ever before -- so why elect liberals?

Maybe because repigs would just let the people starve?

Old 04-13-2013, 01:14 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,298 posts, read 14,134,421 times
It's important to have at least two parties sharing power, but it seems like instead of the rather evil rightwing Republicans who want more and more for the wealthy in addition to more and more for war toys, we could have a liberal party like Greens to balance off the slightly conservative (by European standards) Democrats.

I'm actually in favor of a reasonable amount of fiscal conservativism, but we need to better choose what we eliminate from the budget. There's no need for the govt to be involved deeply in marriages or other moral issues. And we could easily have a decent universal healthcare system if we decide to stop policing the world beyond what's actually necessary, the money saved from the one thing could pay for the expense of the other.

Old 04-13-2013, 01:26 AM

311 posts, read 491,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
It's important to have at least two parties sharing power, but it seems like instead of the rather evil rightwing Republicans who want more and more for the wealthy in addition to more and more for war toys, we could have a liberal party like Greens to balance off the slightly conservative (by European standards) Democrats.

I'm actually in favor of a reasonable amount of fiscal conservativism, but we need to better choose what we eliminate from the budget. There's no need for the govt to be involved deeply in marriages or other moral issues. And we could easily have a decent universal healthcare system if we decide to stop policing the world beyond what's actually necessary, the money saved from the one thing could pay for the expense of the other.
First, before anything is implemented, the nation should look at aggressively reducing the debt and start paying back other nations. Then bring production and innovation back, which will create jobs here and kill the trade agreements eg. NAFTA (a job killing legislation which was supported by both parties). Finally, bring most, if not all of the troops home..

Realistically, I don't see any if this happening from either party.

Old 04-13-2013, 01:29 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,423,030 times
In regards to the Clinton surplus, he did create a budget surplus that reduced the deficit and debt, I don't see how one can deny that. I've heard many things about that short-term surplus ranging from the debt was supposed to go away by last year if we stayed on the Clinton budget plan but then I've also heard that surplus is what probably has killed our economy. Nonetheless, debt is needed therefore Bush gets a semi-free pass in that respect plus Bush did have a lot of unaccounted/forgotten revenues that were just announced sometime last year.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories...#ixzz2JUkC1lkm

Old 04-13-2013, 01:38 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,998,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
No because Republicans accept no responsibility for anything.
How many times has President Obama used the phrase; "The previous administration."?

Old 04-13-2013, 01:40 AM

311 posts, read 491,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
In regards to the Clinton surplus, he did create a budget surplus that reduced the deficit and debt, I don't see how one can deny that. I've heard many things about that short-term surplus ranging from the debt was supposed to go away by last year if we stayed on the Clinton budget plan but then I've also heard that surplus is what probably has killed our economy. Nonetheless, debt is needed therefore Bush gets a semi-free pass in that respect plus Bush did have a lot of unaccounted/forgotten revenues that were just announced sometime last year.

Unpaid taxes: IRS report says $450 billion owed - Associated Press - POLITICO.com
I understand that Clinton did a good job in relative terms when it comes to the economy, but my question is, Why is debt necessary, especially since it skyrocketed under both Bush and Obama?

Old 04-13-2013, 01:48 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,732,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post

Sure, I am all for a sensible, fiscall conservative party. The current GOP has demonstrated that they don't give two shake for governing, because government is evil, by definition. That is why I don't trust them. Would you hire an employee who vowed repeatedly to burn down your business?

Old 04-13-2013, 02:52 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,766,652 times
Quote:

I don't think Republicans were always like this.
You should have stopped at that. I'm not a repiblican BTW

Old 04-13-2013, 02:56 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,766,652 times
Quote:
Would you hire an employee who vowed repeatedly to burn down your business?
No, I wouldn't!

Stop the partisan rhetoric and own your party lies!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies