Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 09:32 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,347,911 times

Advertisements

The NRA has hardly been unwavering. They went along with the 1986 FOPA law, which relegated full auto ownership to a hobby only for police and the very rich, in spite of the fact that there has only been 1 murder ever with an NFA registered full-auto gun (done by a deranged cop). I don't really have much interest in full auto guns, which to me are mainly useful for wasting ammo and punching holes in the air. Nonetheless I do think that if someone chooses to have a full auto gun, they should have the option.

The NRA also went along with the Brady Act. In fact the instant (NICS) check was their idea. Another example showing that the NRA is not "unwavering."

Overall, the NRA has transformed the gun debate. Before around 1986 CCW provisions were very rare. The NRA got it passed in Florida after some high profile crimes there. Fast forward 27 years later and every state but Illinois has it. And a federal judge has informed Illinois that they have to put something in place pronto or be in violation of the Constitution, thanks to Heller, which BTW was largely another NRA triumph. Name just one politician or organization that has done as much as the NRA to successfully fight for individual liberty. You can't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 05:04 AM

4,396 posts, read 4,907,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Look, I'm on the conservative side on this issue. With that said, I see the NRA as a problem. They are unwavering, and they give fodder to those who want to tighten the screws.

Then again, you could also see the NRA as being similar to a labor union. They just aren't going to budge on their positions no matter how hard you try. That can be bad, but it can be good.

It just depends on the mood of the country, and quite frankly the country is ready for background checks at the very minimum.
Not even close. What "right" is backing up the force of a labor union? None. What right is behind the NRA? The 2nd Amendment.

I feel the the NRA has caved in enough based on the items that wutitiz listed above. They should have stood firm on "shall not be infringed".

Old 04-15-2013, 07:15 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,340,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
NRA President Karl T. Frederick, testifying before Congress in 1934:

"I have never believed in the general practice of carrying weapons. I seldom carry one. I have when I felt it was desirable to do so for my own protection. I know that applies in most of the instances where guns are used effectively in self-defense or in places of business and in the home. I do not believe in the general promiscuous toting of guns. I think it should be sharply restricted and only under licenses."

That pretty much tells you that today's NRA is completely different from its earlier self. Since it's so obviously changed, an intelligent person would ask himself why.
An intelligent person would understand that the world itself has changed since 1934 and therefore everything has changed with it. The best thing about the NRA is that it aggravates anti gunners to a frothing at the mouth, fist shaking, veins in neck popping, head exploding frenzy. It really is fun to watch.

Last edited by Rick Roma; 04-15-2013 at 07:26 AM..

Old 04-15-2013, 07:33 AM

58,937 posts, read 27,247,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
As someone who supports the Second Amendment — and enjoys shooting firearms — I was struck by something President Obama said at Monday's Connecticut event on reducing gun violence. He spoke of how the National Rifle Association and its lapdogs in Congress have turned guns into a wedge issue to divide Americans, and make us think we have to choose between the Constitution and public safety.

Why I like guns but hate the NRA - The Week
I never heard of this man Paul, so why should I read anything he has to say?

he doesn't like the NRA as a lobbyist. So what? Does he feel the same about all the other lobbying groups, like AARP, the unions, the NEA, the lawyers, etc.?

EVERYONE is entitled to their own opinions.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:37 AM

58,937 posts, read 27,247,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
“This is a matter of vital importance to the public safety ... While we recognize that assault-weapon legislation will not stop all assault-weapon crime, statistics prove that we can dry up the supply of these guns, making them less accessible to criminals.” - Ronald Reagan

“Certain forms of ammunition have no legitimate sporting, recreational, or self-defense use and thus should be prohibited.” - Ronald Reagan

“With the right to bear arms comes a great responsibility to use caution and common sense on handgun purchases.” - Ronald Reagan

“Every year, an average of 9,200 Americans are murdered by handguns, according to Department of Justice statistics. This does not include suicides or the tens of thousands of robberies, rapes and assaults committed with handguns. This level of violence must be stopped.” - Ronald Reagan

“I think maybe there could be some restrictions that there had to be a certain amount of training taken.”- Ronald Reagan

“Well, I think there has to be some (gun) control.” - Ronald Reagan
If you want to have ANY credibility, give us the description of the "assault weapons Reagan was referring to and the "assault weapons' being refereed to today.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:40 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,504,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Blue View Post
Obama is the one who has made it a wedge issue. Too bad the ****ing piece of **** didn't have enough balls to run on gun control though. He is using those dead children for his own political gain. **** him and anyone who supports him.
He didn't run on gun control, genius, because he had no intention of pursuing gun control. After the public outcry from Newtown "something must be done"!!!, that is when and only when he began pursuing such. Because it appeared to be what the people wanted.

No elected official willingly takes on gun control because it's hard on their party members come reelection time.

So you can keep your epithets to yourself because you don't have a clue. You are one of the mindless sheeple who was convinced as far back as 2008 - that Obama wasn coming to take your guns. Yet he didn't - even after the theatre shooting. I do not think he had a choice, after Newtown, other than to take a stand. Like it or not - the majority of Americans seemed to strongly want this.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:43 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,150,874 times
We absolutely do not have to choose between the Constitution and public safety. Unfortunately the choices that have been coming out of D.C. is only addressing one aspect of this discussion. People's Constitutional rights.

When the supporters of a bill agree that it would have done nothing to stop any of the violence, the idea is not public safety.

When the politicians actually decide to address public safety and if the NRA comes out against those issues, which is unlikely, I will also condemn them.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:45 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,259,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
An intelligent person would understand that the world itself has changed since 1934 and therefore everything has changed with it. The best thing about the NRA is that it aggravates anti gunners to a frothing at the mouth, fist shaking, veins in neck popping, head exploding frenzy. It really is fun to watch.
An intelligent person would understand that the world has NOT changed in the way gun fanatics say it has. The only thing that changed is that this one individual, a murderer who also used his law enforcement career to create an entire system of graft, has TOLD the NRA membership that the world "changed."

There was no government plot to take your guns and put you in FEMA camps in 1934.

There is no government plot to take your guns and put you in FEMA camps in 2013.

You only believe it because you fell for the vomitus that started coming from the NRA in 1977.

Period.

And as for frothing at the mouth, why do you think I post this stuff? Because gun fondlers are soooo cute when their heads explode.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:52 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,150,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
An intelligent person would understand that the world has NOT changed in the way gun fanatics say it has. The only thing that changed is that this one individual, a murderer who also used his law enforcement career to create an entire system of graft, has TOLD the NRA membership that the world "changed."

There was no government plot to take your guns and put you in FEMA camps in 1934.
The government did do that in 1942 to some of our citizens.

Japanese American internment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-15-2013, 07:53 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,259,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The government did do that in 1942 to some of our citizens.

Japanese American internment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Oh, I see. So that's why the NRA decided in 1977 that the sky was falling. Makes perfect sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies