Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 09:18 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,551 posts, read 16,542,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Really? A liberal? I thought you hated liberals.
Progressive, not liberal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Ron Paul also opposed bailing out those big corporations, unlike your liberal heroes.
If those "big corporations" had not been bailed out, we would be talking about 20% unemployment and not 7.8.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 09:20 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Progressive, not liberal.

If those "big corporations" had not been bailed out, we would be talking about 20% unemployment and not 7.8.
Yes, of course, to the supporters of the failed banks.

Old 04-14-2013, 09:28 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,598,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadSpeak View Post
Good after he does that one think tank about foreign policy perhaps you could do another about Financial reform. Oh that's right I forgot Ron Paul does not believe in financial reform and is ok with Large corporations doing what they want as long as the gov. does not get in the way of there "freedom" or the ability for them to destroy the "free market" remember folks self regulation is the true way into freedom !!!

This assertion always makes me laugh. People like you don't understand how powerful your purchasing power is. The only reason those large corporations are able to destroy the free market is because people like you keep buying their garbage. How about you reevaluate what you really need in life, purchase goods base on that reevaluation, and then tell me that immoral corporations (like Apple) are destroying the free market. You can't have it both ways though. A lot of people who follow the same ideology as you want the government to bail these corporations out when they run into economic trouble because "too many people will be without a job". So if you are so against these large corporations destroying the free market, then why do you want the government to keep them around?

Old 04-14-2013, 09:36 AM

4,684 posts, read 4,573,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
The only reason those large corporations are able to destroy the free market is because people like you keep buying their garbage.
Sure; it has nothing whatsoever to do with the fact that those corporations are managed by a small group of highly-motivated, highly-trained and generally quite intelligent people who are bred to command, politically well-connected, and highly coordinated in their common interests and collective activities.

Quote:
How about you reevaluate what you really need in life, purchase goods base on that reevaluation, and then tell me that immoral corporations (like Apple) are destroying the free market.
Yep, all we need to overthrow the American ruling class is to convince a large majority of the people to embrace a subsistence, autarkic standard of living. No problem.

Old 04-14-2013, 09:36 AM

2,238 posts, read 1,443,868 times
Quote:
This assertion always makes me laugh. People like you don't understand how powerful your purchasing power is. The only reason those large corporations are able to destroy the free market is because people like you keep buying their garbage. How about you reevaluate what you really need in life, purchase goods base on that reevaluation, and then tell me that immoral corporations (like Apple) are destroying the free market. You can't have it both ways though. A lot of people who follow the same ideology as you want the government to bail these corporations out when they run into economic trouble because "too many people will be without a job". So if you are so against these large corporations destroying the free market, then why do you want the government to keep them around?
Who said I do ? I have a zune still not an ipod, I believe instead of the corporations being "too big to fail" I feel we should break them up into smaller companies to prevent them from tanking the economy or forcing us to bail them out. And btw the free market is already destroyed you can't have a free market when a few larger corporations pump enough money into the government to influence them in ways that they come out on top while everyone else either struggles or dies. Like I say the free market died when mega corporations came into power.

Old 04-14-2013, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Like I say the free market died when mega corporations came into power.
So, that would be the incorporation of Standard Oil in 1870? Or was it the beginning of the Honourable East India Company in 1591? Or, like the German theorists, are we discussing the Middle Ages?

Old 04-14-2013, 09:44 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,598,798 times
Quote:
Who said I do ? I have a zune still not an ipod, I believe instead of the corporations being "too big to fail" I feel we should break them up into smaller companies to prevent them from tanking the economy or forcing us to bail them out. And btw the free market is already destroyed you can't have a free market when a few larger corporations pump enough money into the government to influence them in ways that they come out on top while everyone else either struggles or dies. Like I say the free market died when mega corporations came into power.
Supporting Microsoft over Apple does not solve this problem. And how can you advocated anyone having the right to force corporations to break up onto smaller companies, sounds pretty fascist. Do you know how you solve this problem? You find a small company who makes MP3 players and you start purchasing their products. This really isn't that difficult. You can't bash large corporations while at the same time advocating the Government bail them out when they run into trouble. It would be like a meth head running out of meth, and instead of helping them recover you just give them more meth. The free market can work if you take the government out of the equation, and people start making smarter purchases.

Old 04-14-2013, 09:48 AM

Quote:
And how can you advocated anyone having the right to force corporations to break up onto smaller companies, sounds pretty fascist.
John Sherman was a Fascist. Who knew? I just thought he was a typical Ohio Republican. Now, brother William - he might have been a sort of proto-Fascist.

The face of Fascism!

Old 04-14-2013, 09:53 AM

2,238 posts, read 1,443,868 times
Quote:
Supporting Microsoft over Apple does not solve this problem. And how can you advocated anyone having the right to force corporations to break up onto smaller companies, sounds pretty fascist. Do you know how you solve this problem? You find a small company who makes MP3 players and you start purchasing their products. This really isn't that difficult. You can't bash large corporations while at the same time advocating the Government bail them out when they run into trouble. It would be like a meth head running out of meth, and instead of helping them recover you just give them more meth. The free market can work if you take the government out of the equation, and people start making smarter purchases.
If we are going to bail them out only because if we do not they will collapse the entire economy and not just ours but other countries as well then we have a problem that needs to be corrected. You didn't read what I wrote did you ? When did I ever say bailing these companies out was a good thing ? This is why I said break them up into smaller companies this way if one fails it won't effect the country as bad. When you have one large corporation controlling a larger percentage of the market if it fails it will do much more damage than say a smaller business. And to add to the whole thing of me saying I have a zune I ment it to say I do not support Apple and there policies of how they treat workers in other countries. Also I have bought a ipod a while back and it got stolen since then I have had a zune and honestly I prefer the zune over the ipod as it is considerably easier to use and upload music to the player. Also I do support smaller companies as I bought "skull Candy" headphones and think they are superior in sound quality and innovation than to say Sony which I've owned several sony headphones over the past few years and it seems after a few months they end up dying on me. And don't get me started on why I dislike Phillips or Panasonic headphones so much they are more expensive and the sound quality is terrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
So, that would be the incorporation of Standard Oil in 1870? Or was it the beginning of the Honourable East India Company in 1591? Or, like the German theorists, are we discussing the Middle Ages?
Each company had there part in having a stranglehold over the country and both of those companies were broken up into smaller companies. Now what we are experiencing in this country is really just the same thing but on a larger scale. What would have happened if say standard oil at the height of there power collapsed ?

Old 04-14-2013, 09:57 AM

Quote:
What would have happened if say standard oil at the height of there power collapsed ?
Probably about what happened when Jay Cooke went bust (another Ohioan, by the way). A decade of economic stagnation and high unemployment. Sounds familiar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies