Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 02:55 PM

1,780 posts, read 2,351,832 times

Advertisements

Because of a recent thread on here I thought I would ask about Domestic violence and sexual crimes against men.

We live in a world where domestic violence and sexual crimes against men are seen as non-issues.
The Data is hard to come by as men are less likely to come forward.

A Hidden Crime: Domestic Violence Against Men Is a Growing Problem - DailyFinance
Domestic violence against men - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is oven claimed that 1 in 4 women have been victims of domestic violence compared to 1 in 7 men. (via: CDC - National Intimate Partner and Sexual Violence Survey (NISVS) - Funded Programs - Violence Prevention - Injury)

No doubt women suffer the majority of reported domestic violence in America. But could that be due to the stigmas society places on men who are victims? Could the lack of dedicated male shelters cause men to think they have no resources? Unless a shelter is funded by the government, it does not have to help men. While shelter that get aid from the federal government often do offer assistance to men, they don't have a safe place for them to go. They often put them in hotels, homeless shelters, and refer them to anger management classes.

Domestic violence against men: Know the signs - MayoClinic.com

I have always wondered if we increased the number of shelters dedicated towards male victims if we would see more men coming forward and thus increasing the amount of male victims on reports. What do you think? Do you think the current data suggests we need to open federally funded shelters for men across the nation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 03:17 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
We don't build, and find donations for shelters, when there is no call for them. Until male sexual violence is brought to light, and men start reporting the crimes there is no visible need for a shelter.

You are free to go collect donations and start a shelter if you want.
Maybe it will be like field of dreams. "If you build it, they will come"

Old 04-13-2013, 08:38 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
I'd say the biggest issue in regards to domestic violence against men, is that when the police are called, the male usually goes to jail, even if he's the victim.

Old 04-13-2013, 09:11 PM

1,780 posts, read 2,351,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
We don't build, and find donations for shelters, when there is no call for them. Until male sexual violence is brought to light, and men start reporting the crimes there is no visible need for a shelter.

You are free to go collect donations and start a shelter if you want.
Maybe it will be like field of dreams. "If you build it, they will come"
There is a call for them. If 1 in 4 is reason enough for women to have shelter, 1 in 7 is plenty. Shelters that are funded by federal grants are required to assist both men and women, however they mostly cater to women in the actual shelter and don't allow men to enter. They help them by sending them to a shelter or hotel. The point of gender specific shelters is so they can get away from their abuser and have a sense of belonging with other people. Singling out someone by putting them in a hotel or making them feel like garbage by sending them to homeless shelters is not helping them mentally or emotionally which is another benefit to having gender specific shelters.

I am planning on applying for a grant and raising money for such a shelter. I am attempting to start a non-profit to better help the men that are invisible to society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I'd say the biggest issue in regards to domestic violence against men, is that when the police are called, the male usually goes to jail, even if he's the victim.
Sadly this is true only because somebody HAS to go to jail.

Old 04-14-2013, 12:25 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,819,383 times
Yes I think it's a underrated issue. Most men who get abused by women are too ashamed to admit it and get help.

Old 04-14-2013, 12:31 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
All domestic violence and sexual crimes are wrong.
I agree with the Jay, above. In many cases, men are too ashamed to report it.
I know a few men who were raped, they have the same issues that women do.

The thing is, most women have empathy for the man where other men may not.

Old 04-14-2013, 12:33 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,819,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
All domestic violence and sexual crimes are wrong.
I agree with the Jay, above. In many cases, men are too ashamed to report it.
I know a few men who were raped, they have the same issues that women do.
That's nice. I think that's the first time you ever agreed with me before.

Old 04-14-2013, 12:40 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,388,406 times
What is worse is that a lot of the men who do report it are themselves abusers looking to win the race to the court house and get their protective order in before their victim. It is a power and control thing.

With that said a fair amount of men would never admit to it. I know men who have been raped and there is no way in hell they would want anyone knowing about it.

Old 04-14-2013, 12:41 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
That's nice. I think that's the first time you ever agreed with me before.
Well it is the first time she's made sense and said something completely accurate.

Old 04-14-2013, 12:48 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
What is worse is that a lot of the men who do report it are themselves abusers looking to win the race to the court house and get their protective order in before their victim. It is a power and control thing.

With that said a fair amount of men would never admit to it. I know men who have been raped and there is no way in hell they would want anyone knowing about it.
Do you have any statistics on that?
Just like about 8% of women claiming false rape claims shouldn't make people believe that all women do, I'd have to question your comments.
It's a slippery slope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies