Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2013, 11:09 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,321,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Those statistics are for the US. Globally the US is still #1.
Number One in what, exactly? Teen pregnancy? Obesity? Creationism?

Old 04-15-2013, 11:16 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Follow the comments back.
The US is still #1 among first world countries with teen pregnancies.
We might be doing well nationally but not globally.
If you just look at one number it can give you a false sense of satisfaction.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:18 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,120,803 times
Quote:
Actually, the USA is second only to Turkey in belief in Creationism.

U.S. Lags World in Grasp of Genetics and Acceptance of Evolution | LiveScience

What more can we expect from a nation that has large populations of rednecks, bible thumping radicals and Evangelicals.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:18 AM

1,963 posts, read 1,822,485 times
Quote:
Yes.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:20 AM

1,963 posts, read 1,822,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Actually, the USA is second only to Turkey in belief in Creationism.

U.S. Lags World in Grasp of Genetics and Acceptance of Evolution | LiveScience

What more can we expect form a nation that has large populations of rednecks, radicals and Evangelicals.
A nation that would rather cigarettes be 97 cents cheaper than establish a nationwide preschool system.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:23 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,972,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith904 View Post
What makes your god more real than those gods?
To put it simply enough that anybody can understand it, MY FAITH in my God.
I have no faith in those other gods.
Perhaps they are all real, I don't know.
Perhaps NONE of them are real. I don't know that, either.
The only people who know for sure are DEAD, and they can't tell us.
Even ol' Harry (Houdini) didn't keep his promise to come back and reveal the truth to his wife!
Even the most rabid Atheist doesn't really KNOW! Of course, they THINK they do, and they are quick to tell the rest of the world how stupid they are for believing in any mythological Supreme Being, but they don't really KNOW anything!
I just simply have FAITH that the God of Abraham is the one true God, that John 3:16 is the absolute truth.
If it turns out, on my death bed, that my FAITH is misplaced, I have lost nothing. At death, I will cease to exist, and that's the end of it.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:26 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,321,575 times
Quote:
If it turns out, on my death bed, that my FAITH is misplaced, I have lost nothing. At death, I will cease to exist, and that's the end of it
You may be met at the Pearly gates by a multi-limbed elephant god. Then you're screwed.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:29 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,972,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I don't think you are being fair.

Madelyn Murray O'Hare was an abrasive self promoting atheist who started her own organization and was the leader of it for more than twenty years. I must assure you that most American atheists do not follow her nor were members of her organization. The woman was murdered in 1995, so I think it is best not to dwell on celebrities of the past century.
I don't have to be "fair". I am absolutely entitled to paint all evangelical missionary atheists with a common brush, just as THEY paint all religious people with a common brush!

Ol' Madelyn was MURDERED? REALLY? By whom? Where is the body?
I did hear that her son became a "born again" Christian.
Or maybe that was the son of some other prominent Atheist...
I really don't keep track of them all that closely.
I mostly endeavor to ignore them, just as I do all missionaries.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:18 PM

3,537 posts, read 2,735,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I've seen them on college campuses. They do not force it on you and don't even approach you.
You CHOOSE to stop at their table and you CHOOSE to take a Bible if you so want.

Why do so many have this fear of religion ?

If you brought you kid up to not believe in God and to stay away from Bibles then what do you fear ?
The tables should not be on public property though.

Old 04-15-2013, 01:00 PM

24,107 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Why do people always ALWAYS compare religion and Christianity in schools to things like liberalism and birth control? Are you really too dense to see the difference? It's not apples to apples, it's not this vs that. You may have an opinion on everything but one has nothing to do with the other.. you do realize that right? If not that's your problem right there. Ignorance. Now stop it and pay attention and try to stay on topic.

Christianity isn't the opposite of liberalism, progressivism, birth control, sex ed, bad manners, stupid people, Obama or anything else your feeble minds conjure.

This is so well said! ^^^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies