Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 01:21 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times

Advertisements

I think the issue with bullying is this (I got it from a CNN clip) we use to have places to go to know that we are not freaks and we belong such as clubs, sport teams, and this worked until I'd say senior year for me. Senior year this website called MySpace got popular and the issue was that you can now bully someone around the clock instead of being stuck to the of 6/7 hours that you only saw them at school. And worse, rather than have people tell you "oh it's fine" you have the mob mentality of "_____ is a sl*t", "____ is a b*tch" and "_____ is g*y."

I was bullied in school at times but I was OK by senior year in high school. I did not deal with the MySpace, Twitter or Facebook pranks, hoaxes or anything like that that kids deal with now. I can only imagine how they feel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 01:38 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,671,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
There always been school bullies. Only now do we start to hear all the bullying going on. Or is it worse than it used to be?
No, it's not worse than it used to be. It's just a liberal, feel-good name for old-fashioned TEASING.

I'm 4'11". I was teased about being short all the time growing up. I didn't run yipping to anybody about it. I lived through it and got over it.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
No, it's not worse than it used to be. It's just a liberal, feel-good name for old-fashioned TEASING.

I'm 4'11". I was teased about being short all the time growing up. I didn't run yipping to anybody about it. I lived through it and got over it.
I actually think that there is a difference between teasing and saying "_____ is a sl*t" by 50 different people on Twitter or Facebook. This is the difference between the old days and today.

Old 04-18-2013, 02:09 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,671,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I actually think that there is a difference between teasing and saying "_____ is a sl*t" by 50 different people on Twitter or Facebook. This is the difference between the old days and today.
I do agree that the delivery is much different and much worse, but how many of those twittering twits do the correspondents even know? It is possible to just turn Twitter off, doncha know.

Social media is anti-social and is the crux of a LOT of problems people have these days. Nobody seems smart enough to just walk away from it. People live for that silly LIKE button!

Old 04-18-2013, 02:28 AM

Quote:
I do agree that the delivery is much different and much worse, but how many of those twittering twits do the correspondents even know? It is possible to just turn Twitter off, doncha know.

Social media is anti-social and is the crux of a LOT of problems people have these days. Nobody seems smart enough to just walk away from it. People live for that silly LIKE button!
I have them but rarely use them and normally only add people that I actually know (when it comes to facebook) or celebrities and that (when it comes to twitter). I don't have much to say on it so I don't. I find that people use that to boost their egos for whatever reason.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:40 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Quote:

Dale, you may be short, but you clearly have attitude. I mean that as a compliment. You also come across on here as sharp-tongued and articulate. Kids who are bullied tend to be physically weak as well as very passive. Many times they simply are unable to defend themselves and the can be subjected to relentless physical pain as well as name-calling, etc. Their inability to defend themselves should not give stronger people license to physically harm them or otherwise make their lives miserable.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:33 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,762,566 times
The problem is you are exposed to it more through social media. You don't get to just go home and have it be over for the day.

The other problem is you can't just punch the bully in the face for it anymore. There are no repercussions for it other than maybe a good talking to.

Old 04-18-2013, 02:01 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times
On another note about coddling youth, do you all think that while it makes some more sensitive, it also let's some become more abusive and bullying others because they don't face consequences for actions?

Old 04-18-2013, 02:04 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times
Quote:
There always been school bullies. Only now do we start to hear all the bullying going on. Or is it worse than it used to be?
I think it's much worse now.

When i grew up there was no internet, no social sites like Facebook, Twitter, or even online chat forums or email. Now children can be harassed endlessly, cealselessly, and the harassment is there in the internet cloud forever, and people can do it anonymously.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:15 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
I don't think it's overhyped. I should know because I was bullied in school, alot, and there were some things that were done to me that weren't always talked about. I think what started happening is that certain incidents went public, and then the public started to ask some questions.

Bullying going on in school is quite bad, more than you might know. I think only now we are talking about it in public. It was bad when I was in school. Today, I think it might be much worse. I remember when I was in the 7th grade, a student spread a vicious lie about me. It took about one day for that rumor to spread to quite a few kids in the 7th grade. This was in January 1999. Today, there is facebook, twitter, iPhones, smartphones, and myspace. If I had been born in 2000(as opposed to my real year of birth, 1986), that kid could have just taken a picture using his smartphone, and then sent it to about 100 kids. And then those kids would have sent it to 100 more kids, and so one. Within one day, a rumor could spread through the school district.

Last edited by green_mariner; 04-18-2013 at 03:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies