Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 09:33 AM

315 posts, read 255,935 times

Advertisements

MHP went on a double down rant this week end quoting some Muslim poet from the early 20th century,named Gibran;

Your children are not your children.
They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.
They come through you but not from you,
And though they are with you, yet they belong not to you.

You may give them your love but not your thoughts.
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.

You may strive to be like them, but seek not to make them like you.
For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.

I don't think she is smart enough to understand that this will not set well with 80 percent of America. I think that she feels that because she uses words like existential that her ideas are exalted over people who do not teach in college. Existential is a word that only means to exist or and argument that stems from something that exists and is over used by snobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 09:38 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,187,535 times
Again, some of you folks have a problem with context. SMH

Old 04-15-2013, 09:41 AM

37,799 posts, read 41,000,307 times
Please drop your teenagers off at Miss Harris Perry's home.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:43 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,460,679 times
my children are here to serve obama. they are not mine, they are part of the community.

Old 04-15-2013, 10:20 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,169,710 times
I don't know about you, but I am not property of my parents, they educated and raised me so that I would be a productive member of our society, which I am very much apart of.

Old 04-15-2013, 10:59 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,727,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkhunter View Post
MHP went on a double down rant this week end quoting some Muslim poet from the early 20th century,named Gibran;

Your children are not your children.
They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.
They come through you but not from you,
And though they are with you, yet they belong not to you.

You may give them your love but not your thoughts.
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.

You may strive to be like them, but seek not to make them like you.
For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.

I don't think she is smart enough to understand that this will not set well with 80 percent of America. I think that she feels that because she uses words like existential that her ideas are exalted over people who do not teach in college. Existential is a word that only means to exist or and argument that stems from something that exists and is over used by snobs.
"some poet..."

OY!

Kahlil Gibran. Have you REALLY never heard of him before? Maybe you should go buy a book of his poetry. You might have a better understanding of what he was about.

The very fact that you don't even remotely understand what this is saying is pathetic. What the hell are they teaching in schools anymore?

Old 04-15-2013, 11:01 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,226,239 times
That comes from the book "The Prophet" and I have that book, it is a wonderful book IF you completely comprehend what he is writing.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:02 AM

288 posts, read 230,777 times
Yeah....that lady is nuts...My children came from my loins and my wife's belly they are ours to raise and teach until they hit 18 and can do things on their own.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:04 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,010,508 times
I agree with Mr Gibran, he is one of my favorites. My children don't "belong" to me. However, they sure as heck don't belong to the "community" either.

If I chose to, I could home school them, cut off all access to the media and the outside world. They are mine to raise as I see fit.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:32 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,169,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
I agree with Mr Gibran, he is one of my favorites. My children don't "belong" to me. However, they sure as heck don't belong to the "community" either.

If I chose to, I could home school them, cut off all access to the media and the outside world. They are mine to raise as I see fit.
So what happens when you children leave home? What happens when they grow up and move out? Are they not apart of the community then, much like you are now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies