Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you volunteer for a tracking implant to avoid paying Federal income tax?
Yes 3 13.04%
No 20 86.96%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 10:59 AM

288 posts, read 230,785 times

Advertisements

47% of what? Ah that don't pay taxes...only what's stolen from me. I get money back every year thankfully. If and when I have to start paying taxes I won't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 11:00 AM

6,261 posts, read 5,068,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I'm nearly broke as and I would never agree to this. My freedom is one thing I will not sell to get some extra spending money.
Agreed. There are different interpretations of power. There is no doubt power in money. It can buy you any materialistic thing you could want. It can influence everything from people to policy.

But there is also intrinsic, internal power that we all have inside us. That kind of power is real power and it can't be bought and sold. Or at least it shouldn't be. They say that freedom isn't free. I believe that. There's always a price tag attached to decisions we make - monetary or otherwise.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:04 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,686,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Green Giant View Post
with money comes freedom, the more money you have, the more freedom you have, it's like that all over the world
Not exactly. At least not in the US. How many people do you know who are debt free? Most people, when they get a raise, they upgrade their car, home, and/or apartment. They borrow more. If you have a large sum of wealth, then obviously yes, you have more freedom. But I know plenty of people who make 3, 4 and even 5 times as much as I do, but have less freedom because they are locked into high house payments, car payments, credit card debt, etc.

Freedom has always been the most important thing to me.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:06 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,668,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Green Giant View Post
with money comes freedom, the more money you have, the more freedom you have, it's like that all over the world
WRONG!

With freedom comes the opportunity to earn all the money you could possibly spend. That probably doesn't make sense to lazy entitlement people, though.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:16 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,667,670 times
I don't have a problem with paying taxes so I'll take the freedom option.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:18 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,203,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Here's a hypothetical question: If the government told you you could be exempt from paying Federal taxes for the rest of your life in exchange for wearing a nonremovable, impossible-to-disable tracking implant, would you do it?
Sure I would do it. Two reasons.

1. I have nothing to hide. Why would I care if someone knows where I am?
3. If anyone really thinks they actually have privacy given existing technology, they are more than a little naive.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:22 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,010,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Here's a hypothetical question: If the government told you you could be exempt from paying Federal taxes for the rest of your life in exchange for wearing a nonremovable, impossible-to-disable tracking implant, would you do it?
You can always make more money if you lose it. Once you lose your freedom, it is gone.

Old 04-15-2013, 01:06 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,454,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Time View Post
This is an interesting question. There is probably a reverse correlation here: The less money one has, the more tempted one could be to relinquish his freedom (permanent tracker) in exchange for a Federal tax-exempt status. Conversely, the more money one has, the less likely one is to accept the deal.

Money affords us more power and freedom.
I don't know about money affording "freedom". Money can buy you justice though. Knowing your rights and being willing to be civilly disobedient when they are trampled on, makes you free.

There was more money and freedom for everyone in this country prior to 1913. That was when we were the most prosperous and the most Free.

For Gosh Sakes, even having enough money to buy all the tea in China isn't going to exempt you from the new law in Texas where it is illegal to "Drink and Walk".

Old 04-15-2013, 01:21 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,460,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
There was more money and freedom for everyone in this country prior to 1913.
Women were freer when they couldn't vote? Blacks were freer under Jim Crow?

Old 04-15-2013, 01:22 PM

1,127 posts, read 903,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
Not exactly. At least not in the US. How many people do you know who are debt free? Most people, when they get a raise, they upgrade their car, home, and/or apartment. They borrow more. If you have a large sum of wealth, then obviously yes, you have more freedom. But I know plenty of people who make 3, 4 and even 5 times as much as I do, but have less freedom because they are locked into high house payments, car payments, credit card debt, etc.

Freedom has always been the most important thing to me.
If you are in debt than you obviously don't have money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies