Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2013, 05:27 AM

4,866 posts, read 5,676,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I disagree. I was born and raised in Boston and I cried for hours. However, it should offend every American to read that over 9,000 armed officers along with SWAT teams, FBI agents and other special forces took over the streets to look for 2 people. Why should 2 people, one only a teenager, be able to have such power over a major city? Several cities were on lockdown.

I think people in Boston are great and I understand why they were cheering as the police drove by. However, isn't this only sending a message to terrorists around the world that they too can get their 15 minutes of fame? If 2 young men can terrorize us so much, what would an organized terrorist organization be capable of orchestrating? We already know that answer. 9/11. If the FBI can't stop 2 kids, it's sending out a red flag. If I were a "Muslim extremist" then I'd be laughing as I watched the police strip the rights of innocent bystanders. I'd be giggling as I listened to one false report after another.

Sorry if I've offended anyone, but I honestly think all of this could have been handled better.
I agree with you. Born just West of Boston here, used to live in the city but now in NH.

I am feeling a little uneasy about what took place. And the fact that people sees it as not being a big deal at all. That's what bothers me the most I think.

Old 04-20-2013, 05:28 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
sorry ms. yankee

we actually do need to have a dialogue about what is going on in America now, and maybe it is starting.

the point is that if the suspect had been identified as a possible terrorist, that should have been the end of his stay in America.

would you agree with that?

i guess your point on the punk in newtown is that not all terrorists are muslim extremists? i agree with that.

i still find it interesting that there was literally zero footage shown of either of them setting down bombs (just them walking in the crowd) and yet people assumed they were guilty. Did people assume the first 2 guys "fingered" were guilty also? it is a good thing they immediately identified themselves or they might have been the ones chased in a city on lockdown. it is more than likely that these 2 are the culprits (particularly with the eyewitness testimony of a victim) but that is what trials are for, and evidence.
A non-citizen away for 6 months in an area festering with Islamic extremism in fact Chechnya extremism predates the Saudi brand of extremism and under FBI attention simply breezes through customs.

It used to be custom agents could refuse to allow people to enter the country on the spot.
Have liberals changed this some how?

Old 04-20-2013, 05:30 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,373,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
sorry ms. yankee

we actually do need to have a dialogue about what is going on in America now, and maybe it is starting.

the point is that if the suspect had been identified as a possible terrorist, that should have been the end of his stay in America.

would you agree with that?

i guess your point on the punk in newtown is that not all terrorists are muslim extremists? i agree with that.

i still find it interesting that there was literally zero footage shown of either of them setting down bombs (just them walking in the crowd) and yet people assumed they were guilty. Did people assume the first 2 guys "fingered" were guilty also? it is a good thing they immediately identified themselves or they might have been the ones chased in a city on lockdown. it is more than likely that these 2 are the culprits (particularly with the eyewitness testimony of a victim) but that is what trials are for, and evidence.
As far as I know, both young men were US citizens and had grown up here from an early age, so I don't see how their stays in America could have been ended. Are you suggesting we administer personality tests to junior high school kids to see if they have enough screws loose to be terrorists in the making? Maybe we could drug them into calming down. Oh wait, we already do that.

And thank you for getting my point about how not all terrorists are Mulsim extremists. It is sickening to see how some of the posters here jump up and down with glee over the association with Islam the punks used to glorify themselves. There is an element in the US that is now jumping up and down screaming "see, see? It's nasty Islam that is the cause of all evil, not the good ol' US of A."

Both punks were LIVING here for the past ten years.

From what I gather from the interview with the uncle, the kid's father was a piece of work. His interview (from Russia) confirms that.

Some kids think that they can make themselves much scarier if they associate with a street gang, with Nazism, with Islam whatever fills their need for youthful revolt. These kids weren't Wonder Bread WASPy whiteys and they weren't black. So Islam Lite it was.

I still say they were nothing but two sick punks. Change the skin color and ethinicity and all that changes is the excuse.

As for the other guys who were named as persons of interest, so-called "internet sleuths" werer responsible for that, with a news media picking up on it. That was as bad as what happened as when the cops in Newtown gave out the name of the killer based on the brother's ID and the media not only ran with it, but CNN broadcast the poor guy's FB page all over the place. Journalists do not care what they do, I have experienced that first hand. Their attitude is "get something, anything out there FAST, we need to sell advertising." Whom they harm in the process of doing that, how much they hype and sensationalize, they do not care. They've forgotten it by the next news cycle anyway.

Last edited by FrugalYankee; 04-20-2013 at 05:39 AM..

Old 04-20-2013, 05:48 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,711,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
I agree with you. Born just West of Boston here, used to live in the city but now in NH.

I am feeling a little uneasy about what took place. And the fact that people sees it as not being a big deal at all. That's what bothers me the most I think.
Totally agree.

It is extremely disturbing that many continue to welcome the police state that is growing by the day with open arms. 911 took Americans by the lapels and provided the most stark and disturbing of lessons as to what we are dealing with and at the same time provided clear focus as to who our enemy is and what to do about them.

Since then, the PC police who had achieved complete control of....well....essentially every aspect of our lives well before 911, have seen to it that we do exactly the opposite of what we need to do. To a frighteningly large portion of today's American sheep, PC law trumps freedom without a need for so much as a minute's debate.

An hour after the first pitch, long lines of people were still waiting to get into the Giants game last night because of draconian searches of every single fan. America is gone....and will stay that way until we repeal the prohibition of common sense.

Old 04-20-2013, 05:49 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,700,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
How long will people remain in denial about Islamic jihadism? Does someone have to come right up to you personaly and shove a knife in your heart screaming "Alahu akhbar!" for you to realize there is a war going on?
The war, though, is with extremists, not Muslims. These extremists have, themselves, killed more Muslims than Americans.

Old 04-20-2013, 05:50 AM

13,410 posts, read 9,941,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
As far as I know, both young men were US citizens and had grown up here from an early age, so I don't see how their stays in America could have been ended. Are you suggesting we administer personality tests to junior high school kids to see if they have enough screws loose to be terrorists in the making? Maybe we could drug them into calming down. Oh wait, we already do that.

And thank you for getting my point about how not all terrorists are Mulsim extremists. It is sickening to see how some of the posters here jump up and down with glee over the association with Islam the punks used to glorify themselves. There is an element in the US that is now jumping up and down screaming "see, see? It's nasty Islam that is the cause of all evil, not the good ol' US of A."

Both punks were LIVING here for the past ten years.

From what I gather from the interview with the uncle, the kid's father was a piece of work. His interview (from Russia) confirms that.

Some kids think that they can make themselves much scarier if they associate with a street gang, with Nazism, with Islam whatever fills their need for youthful revolt. These kids weren't Wonder Bread WASPy whiteys and they weren't black. So Islam Lite it was.

I still say they were nothing but two sick punks. Change the skin color and ethinicity and all that changes is the excuse.
I agree. To assign much more weight to their actions than that is to give them too much credit and power.

There's something up with certain young men turning to nasty retribution for whatever reason - don't know why, but that seems to be the criteria lately - have a grudge against the world and go off and shoot a bunch of people or blow them up, instead of getting over yourself.

Don't give them too much credit for lofty goals - they were a couple of woe begotten asshats. Little boys who never grew into real men. Cowards and mean kids. Losers.

Old 04-20-2013, 06:02 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
The war, though, is with extremists, not Muslims. These extremists have, themselves, killed more Muslims than Americans.
Sigh the two are indistinguishable. Some Muslims don't follow their religion other do the ones that do you people have classified as extremist. There is no extremist distinction in Islam you either follow the diktats of the Koran and Hiddiths or you don't. Muslims that don't are deemed apostates worthy of death.

Old 04-20-2013, 06:09 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,449,841 times
Did anyone see the swarms of mercenaries during the "drill" shown in these pictures Men with backpacks at Boston Marathon private contractors? | Washington Times Communities just before the bomb went off"? The two guys they finally chose as suspects weren't there needless to say.

Old 04-20-2013, 06:10 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,700,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Sigh the two are indistinguishable.
Only for those who are hell-bent on being offensively bigoted and ignorant.

Old 04-20-2013, 06:12 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,664,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor217 View Post
Watching the developments from Australia, its a relief they got him, but i cant understand the whole patriotic flag waving usa chanting reaction. Just feels really over the top.
I agree, but most of those doing the whooping were college kids, probably on their regular Friday night high. They'll do anything to get themselves in front of a camera and on TV. Applause for the cops as they leave the area seems like simple expression of relief to be back to normal, but the dancing in the streets looks like someone let school out early. I'll bet not a single one of them could name one of the people killed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies