Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2013, 10:04 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,204,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
I can except to show of force as a deterrent for the next event ( it is coming ) but the more you show the public, the more it looks like the keystone Cops are at work here. I am still waiting why the entire city of Boston was under " lock Down". If that was a necessary thing then it should have been imposed right after The Marathon Bombings.........Your point about how real the threat from others may or could have been makes the best explanation. We may see or hear more about this or, we may not !
Where is this keystone cops thing coming from? They killed/captured these two in 4 days (which is remarkable) and they got the second kid alive so he can be questioned. I'm not sure how you have a better outcome than that. They did it with a minimal loss of additional life.

Why would they have put the city on lock down right after the attacks? The purpose was to keep the public out of the way and safe, and to make it more difficult for the suspects to run. If you don't know who or what you're looking for, it would accomplish nothing. Once they ID'd who they were looking for, and they knew the second boy was on the run, they shut down the city. Even if they didn't go door to door in the area where they found the suspect, they were still shut down so he couldn't move--he couldn't steal a car and try to leave, and he couldn't blend in with a crowd and disappear. He couldn't leave the boat to get medical help either--he was stuck there and close to bleeding to death. The bottom line is they found him, he wasn't in any kind of position (medical or strategic) to fight back, and they captured him alive. Now they're in a position to find out how many were involved, how this all came about, and if there are more bombs floating around. It's the best possible outcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
So... not sure what you're getting at here. Is it suddenly cool among right wingers to consider Russians the good guys? Since when is trying to understand something the same thing as making excuses?
I was floored by that line of thought too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
The younger killer has been in the states since he was 13 so it is hard to believe we can stop these type of terrorists in the future. I wonder how living in Boston, the heart of Liberalism in this country affected his view towards this country.
I'm still trying to figure out how "liberal" got interjected into this type of terrorism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
It was the history of Chechnya.

Rachel Maddow Show
Thanks for posting this. I didn't know that a history lesson on the history of conflict in Chechnya was "liberal propaganda" either, especially since a bunch of Americans on twitter were ranting about the bombers being from the Czech Republic. I admit that my knowledge of that region is sketchy, although I did know where it was and that they were in conflict with the Russians over control of the country. So now history and information is a liberal conspiracy? I'm embarrassed that we have Americans who look at the world that way--it's about as ignorant as it gets. Actually, it's horrifying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I was trying to explain how they got the components for the bombs. I forgot about the guns. It seems anyone who wants a gun can get one or ten.
But Kat--don't you understand? Terrorists have 2nd amendment rights too. So do men arrested for beating up their girlfriends.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:05 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,662,054 times
Yeah, I don't know why people are acting like the cops did a horrible job. Seriously... both suspects were found and detained (or killed) within 4 days. That's pretty impressive.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:06 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,853,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
As a 19 year old, it was illegal for him to purchase a handgun anywhere in the US. Just one more gun control law that failed to serve any purpose. Criminals...don't obey laws.
In Mass, probably one can be purchased from the trunk of any car with New Hampshire plates parked at any rural Honky-tonk.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:06 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,253,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
Give me a break. That is some very specious logic. The guns controls in this country are so lax that they barely exist. That is why they need major tightening. Of course any nut can get a gun. That is exactly what the NRA wants. More guns=more violence=more paranoia=more guns= more $$$$! Simple math at the detriment of human lives.
This. ^^^^

It will be interesting to see how the guns were obtained and by whom.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:13 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,123,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
First--we still don't know if more people are involved, if there are other bombs planted, etc. You can't risk that kind of danger to the public until you're sure the threat is gone.

Second, if someone is home sitting in their basement and thinking about pulling another terrorist attack, having the full force of the US government come down with no holds barred might make them reconsider, unless they're planning a suicide attack to begin with. The police solved this and captured those guys in 4 days--do you understand how remarkable that is? The youngest one went back to class like nothing was going to happen--they thought they'd get away with it. The show of force was to protect the public, and to make sure that anyone else considering an act like this knows that they're not going to be able to just walk away from the scene like nothing happened. You WILL be caught.
Absolutely right! It's hard to believe that people are minimizing the daunting task that law enforcement was faced with. People all around the world were watching this unfold from day one, including potential suicide bomber Jihadists. If this expedient and forceful reaction from our officials and law enforcement did not give them pause, the nothing will. I'm sure that the families of the killed and injured are not complainig about the way this was handled.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:21 AM

20,702 posts, read 12,532,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
Well said.

Also, am I the only one who thinks that maybe that boat owner, when he saw blood on his boat which hadn't been there before, instead of pulling the tarp back to look inside himself, should have immediately called 9-1-1?

Besides not knowing what the kid had on him in the way of weapons and/or bombs, at the very least, he could have alerted him, allowing him to escape.
You couldn't have paid me to look in there. I would have called the police to take a look.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Absolutely right! It's hard to believe that people are minimizing the daunting task that law enforcement was faced with. People all around the world were watching this unfold from day one, including potential suicide bomber Jihadists. If this expedient and forceful reaction from our officials and law enforcement did not give them pause, the nothing will. I'm sure that the families of the killed and injured are not complainig about the way this was handled.
And, really.....it only took four days.

Some might say that was three days too long, but they were looking for two needles in a haystack and they got them in four days.

Sadly, a police officer lost his life and another one is in the hospital, but none of us know what these brothers had planned for the future - they could have had more bombings planned.

I'm not going to try to second guess how law enforcement handled this.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
And, really.....it only took four days.

Some might say that was three days too long, but they were looking for two needles in a haystack and they got them in four days.

Sadly, a police officer lost his life and another one is in the hospital, but none of us know what these brothers had planned for the future - they could have had more bombings planned.

I'm not going to try to second guess how law enforcement handled this.
Actually, it sounds more and more likely that they were planning more bombings. According to this, they found a bunch of pipe bombs and more explosives in the older brothers apartment, and they've arrested a woman who lived there with him. The marathon bombing may have been just the start of what they'd planned.

Explosives Found Inside Marathon Bombing Suspect’s Cambridge Apartment « CBS Boston

Old 04-20-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Actually, it sounds more and more likely that they were planning more bombings. According to this, they found a bunch of pipe bombs and more explosives in the older brothers apartment, and they've arrested a woman who lived there with him. The marathon bombing may have been just the start of what they'd planned.

Explosives Found Inside Marathon Bombing Suspect’s Cambridge Apartment « CBS Boston
I hadn't heard that yet.

I wonder if the woman will turn out to be his wife. I didn't see any mention of a child.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:
I hadn't heard that yet.

I wonder if the woman will turn out to be his wife. I didn't see any mention of a child.
The wife and the baby were reportedly living with her parents for the last year (like lots of the reporting on this thing, that could be wrong), so who knows what's going on. It could be her, or it could be another woman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies