Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2013, 01:26 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,525,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
Very Well Said!

It is beyond disgusting that the lefties are trying to paint a sympathetic picture for these 2 Muslim TERRORISTS. But they sure will demonize anyone with a gun license or doctors killing babies in abortions. The idiotic mentality of the left knows no limits.
If you would take the time to notice the righties are the ones saying this is a conspiracy.

Old 04-26-2013, 01:28 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,525,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Lefties? In truth, I see the conspiracy theorists as the symapthizers. They are ones that are putting out all of that bat crap crazy nonsense on the internet which is fueling the mother's rantings about fake injuries and fake blood.

Old 04-26-2013, 02:22 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,115,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I've known for a long time that you are as brilliant as I am.

Seriously...

Well if we are honest we've seen the results of religious violence on the part of other religions perhaps not as widespread as, and I stress, current spate of Muslim terrorism because I would suggest that in the Muslim world their is a greater sense of powerlessness to effect those issues which lay at the heart of their grievances, after all terrorism is the tool of the weak against the powerful.

If we acknowledge that there are 1.5 billion Muslims in the world and despite their numbers and inherent wealth, have been utterly powerless to affect the "perceived" injustice in Palestine; The perceived commercialization and encroachment of westernization culture (and excellent book on the subject "MacWorld vs Jihad"); 10 years of sanctions against the people of Iraq, the subsequent war that country; the invasion of Afghanistan, and the current war being waged by the U.S. against "terrorist." Did I forget Abu Ghraib and Guantanamo torture, and the overblown rhetoric coming out of the mouths and keyboards, etc??? If we acknowledge all of these perceived wrongs are being committed against Muslim people and their countries it shouldn't be that much of a leap to understand that perception at some point becomes reality and in turn the radicalization of large parts of the Muslim world. And, if we acknowledge that then we must also accept the fact that in order to "hit back" at the U.S. the only effective weapon that they possess is terrorism.

That isn't an apologia, that's pretty damned accepted fact.

From where I sit, since 9/11 the issue has been one of damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Personally, I would have said after 9/11 "ok, you have our attention, what do we all need to do to resolve these issues?" but that wasn't a real world solution. So aside from the idiocy of the Iraq invasion, the torture, the black sites, Guantanamo etc, we had a duty to strike back, unfortunately striking back is like taking morphine for cancer. It does something for the pain but it doesn't address the real issue. But how do you resolve the underlying issues. You can't convince folks that you aren't out to kill them when you are out killing them, and you can't stop the killing until they stop killing us.

Other than a whole lot of turning the other cheek, we're going to be in this situation for decades.

I am aware of this things that you have so patiently taken the time to lay out. Maybe my question was more rhetorical.

There are women all over the world that are being abused, raped, degraded and are the victims of numerous artrocities. Being a woman myself, I have all sorts of ideas of what I would like to see happen to the perpetrators of these crimes. II think we can safely assume that it is men that are the abusers of these women, but I am smart enough to understand that not every man deserves to be blamed and punished for the crimes of others.

These two brothers were accepted, befriended and one even married to an American. They were given safe harbor, money to live on, an education and yet did no see that not all Americans were pro-war and anit-Muslim. My point is, there has to be a level of just general out and out stupidity within an individual if they cannot make these differentiations.

BTW...if you wouldn't mind, a bit more elaboration on the bolded would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by sickofnyc; 04-26-2013 at 03:05 PM..

Old 04-26-2013, 02:37 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
The sympathy for the brothers is coming from way,way liberal minded people (notice I didn't say left or right as it's not exclusive to either) probably with the idea that anyone can be redeemed. Interesting thing is, I wonder how much sympathy they'd exhibit if it was there close relative that got blown up?
Really? Who on this forum would you categorize like that? It seems the sympathizers have mostly been RW conspiracy believers (to be as neutral as possible).

Old 04-26-2013, 03:02 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,933,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Are we really?<bold> Many from both sides of the belief spectrum would argue you're wrong and have plenty of ammo (information ) to back it up.
We sharply turned away from "better than that" long ago when the love of $$$ and power became king and oil became queen.
I was referring to the rhetoric of the Right not necessarily what people as people actually do. I am not here to argue the merits of right or wrong and at what levels from ether side of the isle. More honest dialog from all is whats needed instead of trying to claim brinkmanship.
Power has always been king, thats why its a king, the final say. I agree we need less kings, and, they are starting to disappear all around the World. The problem is what do we GET in the vacuum thats created ? OIl IS on its way out, already we are now not in need of oil from the troubled places in the world here in the US, No more Wars will be fought over oil, like Iraq was. The power part remains, we must be aware and ready as a People everywhere. Those times are changing too this Country can not become involved in Nation building as it was the order of the day for those hiding behind " weapons of mass destruction" and " yellow cake". Need I say more? I thought not !

Old 04-26-2013, 03:54 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,157,672 times
Dunno if this has been mentioned, but the mother was also on a CIA terrorist database - TIDE.

Old 04-26-2013, 04:01 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times
Dzhokhar Tsarnaev reportedly supported Democrats.

Tamerlan Tsarnaev was a boxer.

California Senator Barbara Boxer is a Democrat.

Coincidence?

Old 04-26-2013, 04:05 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,473,761 times
Had this argument with my wife about the younger Tsanaev. She began to explain why she had compassion for the guy. I got quickly infuriated. My heart is completely cold for the kid. Just because he has tousled hair and they say he was a puppy around his brother is something I find morally irrelevant. Relatives claim “he loved his brother”. This to me is like those women who claim “love” is what made them help their monster boyfriends abduct other women or children to torture and murder. The mere fact that such uses of the word “love” get passed along shows me how mental mush rules a lot of discussions. Emotion takes over and people lose their ability to think critically at any level. More likely they are just trying to defend a set of morals they use to defend the indefensible. And I don’t think it splits on political lines. Let the accused be David Koresh or Tim McVeigh and the same moral mush comes from the conservative side. I think people just excuse themselves from any degree of honesty when it comes to defending those who share their beliefs. I’d NEVER have followed my brother’s lead into the depths of vicious crimes. I always had a LITTLE mental distance where I could see what was fun and what was evil. Of course, I also was awake in catechism class, too.

Anyway, listening to discussion in the media really makes me grind my teeth. It is what is alleged to be sober discussion, but all it really shows me is the deterioration of civilization on display.

Old 04-26-2013, 04:33 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,559,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Dunno if this has been mentioned, but the mother was also on a CIA terrorist database - TIDE.
yeah, so are over 430,000 other people. This list is massive and worldwide. Once you get on, it's next to impossible to get off, mistaken identity or not. There is no quality control.

Quote:
But in addressing one problem, TIDE has spawned others. Ballooning from fewer than 100,000 files in 2003 to about 435,000, the growing database threatens to overwhelm the people who manage it. "The single biggest worry that I have is long-term quality control," said Russ Travers, in charge of TIDE at the National Counterterrorism Center in McLean. "Where am I going to be, where is my successor going to be, five years down the road?"

Information Sharing

Every night at 10, TIDE dumps an unclassified version of that day's harvest -- names, dates of birth, countries of origin and passport information -- into a database belonging to the FBI's Terrorist Screening Center. TIDE's most sensitive information is not included. The FBI adds data about U.S. suspects with no international ties for a combined daily total of 1,000 to 1,500 new names.

Between 5 and 6 a.m., a shift of 24 analysts drawn from the agencies that use watch lists begins a new winnowing process at the center's Crystal City office. The analysts have access to case files at TIDE and the original intelligence.

In 2004 and 2005, misidentifications accounted for about half of the tens of thousands of times a traveler's name triggered a watch-list hit, the Government Accountability Office reported in September.
Terror Database Has Quadrupled In Four Years

Old 04-26-2013, 05:10 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,115,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
yeah, so are over 430,000 other people. This list is massive and worldwide. Once you get on, it's next to impossible to get off, mistaken identity or not. There is no quality control.

Terror Database Has Quadrupled In Four Years
They really need to steamline the system to make it more efficient and user friendly. As for mother of the year, no need to worry about her setting foot here anymore. Shameful that she cannot even retrieve her son for burial in her own country or visit her injured son. If I were she, I would be covering my face as well as my head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies