Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 10:58 AM

13,410 posts, read 9,941,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
You came up with a list of things which have been banned to keep people safe. I responded with two items which are dangerous, one of which had been banned (unless you had a prescription).

Alcohol, tobacco, and firearms all contribute to our economy, which is why they still exist. Removing them -- as proven by alcohol during Prohibition -- results in lost tax revenue, increased lawlessness, and violence.

Criminals will not adhere to any law requiring gun registration, while convicted felons are circumventing laws preventing them from owning firearms. Is it unreasonable to expect a governing body to enforce the current laws before creating more for criminals to ignore?

Had you not noticed my suggestion of *if*? I was not suggesting you called for a complete ban. If you go back and reread my post you'll see. Sorry if you thought otherwise as that was not my intention.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
No worries, I get ya. You really need to put my responses in context. The OP asked posters to name ONE THING that has been banned to keep people safe that worked.

I responded to that question. I am not for prohibition generally, but the idea that no ban has ever worked to the benefit of the public is ridiculous, and in line with the OP's usual bludgeoning "debate" style. It's kinda best to answer him in the same simplistic fashion.

I agree that some bans don't work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 01:38 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,890,487 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Really? You think the four year old should have access to guns because guns aren't inherently dangerous in themselves?
Now where did I ever say that a four year old should have access to guns? Don't go making things up to suit your cause. {FYI, I started partaking in the shooting sports when I was six}

Quote:
I'm pretty sure if the kids had been playing with carpenter nails and ball bearings he would still be alive and two more families wouldn't be going through this hell, yet again.
I can't say that I disagree. However, what if the kids had been playing with matches? Maybe a lighter? Quite possibly, they would both be dead along with others. Should we ban those things because they can be deadly? I think not.

Quote:
Willing? The four year old wasn't "willing" to pull the trigger. It was an accident
That's right, it was an accident, nothing more. Accidents happen, no matter what we are talking about whether it be guns or any number of other things.

Quote:
It is a fact - guns are a tremendously easy way to kill one person by accident or a whole bunch on purpose
So are cars..... we should ban'em right? I can think of many things that are dangerous and that could very easily kill someone by accident or on purpose, yet liberals aren't calling for their ban or stringent regulation. Why is that do you suppose? "if we can save one child's life" right? That's the standard set forth by Obama and his liberal minions isn't it? We have a LOT of things to ban and regulate then.

Quote:
The four year old obviously did not get the memo that shooting at people is already banned.
He may have gotten the memo, but was likely confused about the subject after hours and hours of glorified
violence he was permitted watch on TV, games, and music due to the utter lack of parenting skills and morality most people have these days

Old 04-18-2013, 01:59 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,104,274 times
I wish we could ban stupid threads.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:37 PM

472 posts, read 570,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
I wish we could ban stupid threads.
Yeah. I started giving good answers to the original question, and then the gun crowd wanted to change the subject. They can't even stick to their own subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies