Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 11:38 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times

Advertisements

Free plastic bags should be banned, yes. All they do is create blight via litter, clog up single-stream recycling machines, fill up landfills, and damage wetlands. They suck.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:41 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
We've gone from wheelbarrows to canvas/cotton to paper to plastic.

Now we're going backwards if you think about it.

Does anyone remember when "old ladies" carried all their stuff in those netted bags that magically expanded as you put more stuff into them ? I used to be fascinated with them as a kid. My grandma kept several in her purse and used them as she went around shopping at the various places.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:44 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

Does anyone remember when "old ladies" carried all their stuff in those netted bags that magically expanded as you put more stuff into them ? I used to be fascinated with them as a kid. My grandma kept several in her purse and used them as she went around shopping at the various places.
You see them everywhere here. People walking around with net bags full of oranges, baguettes and fresh flowers.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

Remember them? I have some of my own!

Amazon.com: ECOBAGS®Reusable Grocery Earthtone Set of 5 Cotton Market Tote Bags: Kitchen & Dining

Of course, I didn't pay money for mine; I crocheted them myself.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Remember them? I have some of my own!

Amazon.com: ECOBAGS®Reusable Grocery Earthtone Set of 5 Cotton Market Tote Bags: Kitchen & Dining

Of course, I didn't pay money for mine; I crocheted them myself.
I just picked up some instructions and material to make my own.
I have canvas bags but always seem to forget them at home.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:49 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,872,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
We should not ban plastic bags. I always recycled mine, used them for trash bags and the like. Now I buy plastic for the garbage cans and to pick up dog poop. The only thing a ban did is make me buy plastic bags.

Btw, reusable grocery bags carry lots of germs and are causing people to get sick.
I was driving down a major highway over the week-end and was remarking on all of the plastic bags that were blowing around along the sides of the road and stuck in trees and on fences. What an eyesore.

I've been taking cloth bags to the grocery store for years, and have never gotten sick from anything. What do you think people carried groceries in before there were plastic bags?

Old 04-16-2013, 11:53 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
Warning of disease may seem like an over-the-top scare tactic, but research suggests there’s more than anecdote behind this industry talking point. In a 2011 study, four researchers examined reusable bags in California and Arizona and found that 51 percent of them contained coliform bacteria. The problem appears to be the habits of the reusers. Seventy-five percent said they keep meat and vegetables in the same bag. When bags were stored in hot car trunks for two hours, the bacteria grew tenfold.
http://mobile.bloomberg.com/news/201...-bag-bans.html

Old 04-16-2013, 11:54 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
I was driving down a major highway over the week-end and was remarking on all of the plastic bags that were blowing around along the sides of the road and stuck in trees and on fences. What an eyesore.

I've been taking cloth bags to the grocery store for years, and have never gotten sick from anything. What do you think people carried groceries in before there were plastic bags?
When was the last time you washed your grocery bags? Do you carry meat in them? Do you label the meat bag so it is only used for meat and never vegetables?

Old 04-16-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post

Exactly.

Quote:
Warning of disease may seem like an over-the-top scare tactic, but research suggests there’s more than anecdote behind this industry talking point. In a 2011 study, four researchers examined reusable bags in California and Arizona and found that 51 percent of them contained coliform bacteria. The problem appears to be the habits of the reusers. Seventy-five percent said they keep meat and vegetables in the same bag. When bags were stored in hot car trunks for two hours, the bacteria grew tenfold.
The Disgusting Consequences of Plastic-Bag Bans - Bloomberg
Quote:
When was the last time you washed your grocery bags? Do you carry meat in them? Do you label the meat bag so it is only used for meat and never vegetables?
I wash mine pretty regularly, maybe once a month or so.

You can easily get around the meat thing by designating one bag for meat/meat products only. Make it a different color from the others. Easy peasy. Seriously. Then wash the meat bag once a week; toss it in with your other very dirties. I have mop heads and microfiber cleaning cloths that are machine-washable; my supermarket bags get washed with those on hot, with bleach. I line-dry them and they're ready to rock and roll.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
The Disgusting Consequences of Plastic-Bag Bans - Bloomberg
But people had and used reusable bags before paper/plastic entered the scene and really that wasn't too long ago.

Do we need education on how to clean re-usable bags now ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies