Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2013, 09:02 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
The big issue is the tax code and other legal attachments to marriage. If you break marriage off from all its legal ramifications and just go with civil unions for that sort of thing I think it would be silly to say you couldn't marry whoever and however many you could get to consent.

As to marrying your cat I think there might be a consent issue, but really I don't think it should matter if the governmental attachments to marriage were removed. Otherwise I think there would just be a lot of sham marriages for tax purposes. Just as an example think about the incentive many single people would have to marry their pets for the married filing jointly tax bracket.
Most married people pay more in taxes. So marrying your cat would cost you more in taxes.

And why should your marital status have anything to do with taxes?

Old 04-18-2013, 09:02 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,253,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Makes you wonder why these beings we call God - needed a rib - or a sample from the body of the first person...could it be they needed the material to generate a female clone....? Just a thought.
I thought the religious types were against cloning (and things like stem cell research).

And for those religious types who are so worried that same sex marriage will be a catalyst to legal incestuous marriages, how do they think that all us billions of people got here?

You know, when there are only two people on this earth to begin with, there had to be a little bit of incestuous hanky panky going on.

Old 04-18-2013, 09:03 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
Get real, we evolved, we were not created, there was no garden of eden, nor was there an Adam and Eve,

So you say. And you have every right to your opinion.

Old 04-18-2013, 09:04 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,732,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Oh, you love your buzz words you invent.. the word homophobe invented by the gay movement is to say there is something wrong with thinking that homosexually is not natural or normal.. trying to make those who know the truth that homosexuality is wrong and putting blame for not accepting it as normal or natural. We know how you manipulate and use buzz words to further your acceptance of deviant sexual behavior against God and creation.
Somebody tell me I didn't just read that.

Old 04-18-2013, 09:05 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,391,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Most married people pay more in taxes. So marrying your cat would cost you more in taxes.

And why should your marital status have anything to do with taxes?
I don't think your marital status should have anything to do with taxes. I think they should have civil unions for all the support issue stuff they use marriage for now.

As to married people. No actually fewer pay more in taxes. The % of married people who pay more in taxes due to being married peaked in the 1990s at around 48% and the reason married sometimes pay more is because they have high incomes at parity.

Assuming you are not marrying Leona Helmsley's dog, and your pet has no income, you get the bigger brackets w/o the extra income. In otherwords if both of you make 400,000K and you are married it will be more costly then if you are single, if you make 500,000K and marry your dog with 0 income you get a tax break.

Old 04-18-2013, 09:05 PM

596 posts, read 730,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
I thought the religious types were against cloning (and things like stem cell research).

And for those religious types who are so worried that same sex marriage will be a catalyst to legal incestuous marriages, how do they think that all us billions of people got here?

You know, when there are only two people on this earth to begin with, there had to be a little bit of incestuous hanky panky going on.
I've always wondered this as well. For the people who actually believe the story of Adam and Eve is true, do they not realize that would mean there was a whole lot of incestuous loving going on in order to populate the planet? But we're interjecting questions based on logic, and that has no place in religion.

Old 04-18-2013, 09:06 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,157,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
We don't know the size of the universe. That doesn't mean we should just give up trying to find out and say "Oh God did it so we don't need to know".

Furthermore if the your God is real and omnipresent in the entire universe then why with the whole massive universe does God spend all of his time obsessing over a tiny strip of land along the western shore of the Mediterranean, about the size of Connecticut, when the whole universe is out there? Heck why did it take until the 15-16th century for the population 1/3 of the world's land mass to even have a clue about the Judeo-Christian God?
OK. if the universe ends, what is next.. what is in the next space?

Old 04-18-2013, 09:08 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,227,603 times
Many centuries ago, humans were unable to explain where thunder and lightening came from. Thus, they created a god who created them.

They couldn't figure out why some people were just "bad" - so they created a god that led them into temptation.

They couldn't figure out how childbearing sometimes worked and sometimes not - so they created two gods who were in charge (at least the Germanic people did).

To this day, some people still call upon a god when their small minds cannot cope with the fact that we simply don't know it all. It's a safe bet, too - since we will NEVER know it all...

Sad - but completely understandable.

Old 04-18-2013, 09:08 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,253,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Sorry.

Old 04-18-2013, 09:09 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,227,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Of course you did. So did I. I suppose some people truly live in a parallel world - at least mentally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies