Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2013, 02:49 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,911,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
Find me an active poll and I'll skew it in favor of the gun lobby within 24 hours.

Old 04-18-2013, 02:50 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,671,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
This is going to be tough for you to hear but a poll of 100 people is meaningless. You see, you have to actually read the poll, not the article and determine for yourself the validity. Statistics101, glad I was able to help. I took the time out of my day to take a screen shot of the important part for you. If you need some help with the math, 91+8+1=100
Oh sorry. I didn't know you were one of the 12% of paranoid gun owners out there that's freaking out about the possibility of the government using universal background checks to confiscate your guns... modern medicine can help treat you on that now days.

Old 04-18-2013, 02:51 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,820,687 times
Quote:
Oh sorry. I didn't know you were one of the 12% of paranoid gun owners out there that's freaking out about the possibility of the government using universal background checks to confiscate your guns... modern medicine can help treat you on that now days.
Your insults cut sooooo deep. Yawn

Old 04-18-2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
If you're a law abiding citizen, this wouldn't have impacted you. You can pass a background check, right? So what's the problem? You could sell or give your gun to your neighbor or your kid with zero paper work and no check. The only thing that would change would be that if you bought a gun through an advertised sale or at a gun show from a non-licensed seller, you'd have to do a background check.
How do I prove that the method of bringing together the buyer and seller did not happen via an advertised sale? What if we meet in the sporting goods section of Wal-Mart? Maybe we are both browsing Shotgun News at Kroger?

10,092 posts, read 8,204,237 times
Quote:
Their was no filibuster, you need to learn the rules of the senate before talking.
I absolutely DO know the rules of the Senate and you're wrong. In fact, you're laughably wrong. I can guarantee you that if the D's get the opportunity, after this the filibuster will be eliminated.

The gun bill and the future of filibuster reform

5,705 posts, read 3,671,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
Find me an active poll and I'll skew it in favor of the gun lobby within 24 hours.
Find it yourself. Oh, maybe you need help.

How To Use Google To Search

Old 04-18-2013, 02:55 PM

Quote:
But I'm the buyer. It is up to the seller to keep the 4473. Are they under the same rules and regs as an FFL?

And how will the NICS check be opened up to the public? Will anyone be able to call up and run a check? What about random people checking up on me even if I'm not buying a gun? How will that be controlled?
They'll still be conducted by law enforcement, based on rules developed by each state. You'll have to have a bill of sale and the paper work filled out by the buyer. Not much will change. Here's the legislation.

http://www.toomey.senate.gov/?p=press_release&id=968

Old 04-18-2013, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Congratulations on trying to convince your mom of something. I'm sure she's proud. The rest of us 90% can make up our own minds.
She is not educated on the current laws and therefore would answer yes to the poll question.

My uncle who is a former detective is knowledgeable on the current system of background checks and was against the bill.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:00 PM

Quote:
How hard do you think it is to purchase a gun without paperwork in California where it is illegal to do so? Because you keep saying this would prevent people from getting guns but in my home states criminals still get guns and still commit crimes. And when a criminal is dumb enough to fail a background check they are not even charged with a crime. Tell me why we should take this states failed system and implament it federally?
This bill wouldn't stop criminals from being able to buy guns on the black market. It would stop mentally ill people and people who aren't people involved in organized crime from purchasing a weapon quickly and easily to go out and shoot lots of people or their family. It wouldn't stop every situation, but it would have stopped some of them.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:01 PM

Quote:
If you don't commit a crime, you don't have to worry about illegal search and seizure. You don't have to worry about wire taps or someone reading your e-mail without a warrant.

If you give the .gov power, they will abuse it sooner or later.
This bill makes it a felony for a law enforcement offical to collect data for a gun registry. If you have trouble with the rest of it, take it up with the guys who wrote the patriot act.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies