Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 09:06 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times

Advertisements

I am sick of the weenie phrases, "Terror attack," and "act of terror."

Terror is an EMOTION. It's not a criminal or an attacker - it's simply an emotion FELT by people who are victims of CRIMINALS.

I say call it what it is - a TERRORIST ATTACK. Or a DEADLY ASSAULT. Whatever, but not "an act of terror."

The reason I say this is because words have meanings. I hate it when we water down, or change the focus, of an event by politically correct double speak.

When we use the terms "act of terror" or "terror attack" we (perhaps inadvertently) conjure up images of a bolt of terror from the sky smiting the weak people below. No, that's not how it goes. CRIMINALS plant IEDs or bombs with the intent to kill and main innocent bystanders and civilians.

Don't whitewash it or water it down. There are evil people among us who intend to harm others in order to make a statement about their personal philosophies. They don't care if these people are children, or marathon runners, or friends on the sidelines, or people just going to work or enjoying the company of friends and family.

It's not an "act of terror." It's a despicable act of evil by evil people.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:16 PM

3,846 posts, read 2,383,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I am sick of the weenie phrases, "Terror attack," and "act of terror."

Terror is an EMOTION. It's not a criminal or an attacker - it's simply an emotion FELT by people who are victims of CRIMINALS.

I say call it what it is - a TERRORIST ATTACK. Or a DEADLY ASSAULT. Whatever, but not "an act of terror."

The reason I say this is because words have meanings. I hate it when we water down, or change the focus, of an event by politically correct double speak.

When we use the terms "act of terror" or "terror attack" we (perhaps inadvertently) conjure up images of a bolt of terror from the sky smiting the weak people below. No, that's not how it goes. CRIMINALS plant IEDs or bombs with the intent to kill and main innocent bystanders and civilians.

Don't whitewash it or water it down. There are evil people among us who intend to harm others in order to make a statement about their personal philosophies. They don't care if these people are children, or marathon runners, or friends on the sidelines, or people just going to work or enjoying the company of friends and family.

It's not an "act of terror." It's a despicable act of evil by evil people.
When the Government does it, it is not "criminal".

I think Richard Nixon said something to this effect.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonarchist View Post
When the Government does it, it is not "criminal".

I think Richard Nixon said something to this effect.
Well, there you have it.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:20 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,165,843 times
Know what I'm sick of? People playing the word semantics game.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:21 PM

709 posts, read 597,859 times
I hate to see this happen, but it drove the point home that if bad things are going to happen, there are other ways then firearms.

Bombs do more damage and don't even need the person/people there to set it off.

Guess what? Most explosives are already illegal or heavily Federally regulated.

Does anyone think they care?

Old 04-17-2013, 09:23 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,814,161 times
Fear kills people...and fear is instilled in people by people. If you FEAR long enough that you will contract cancer the brain and spirit will generate that cancer. If a nation excepts fear as a way of life - that is the end of that nation. Terrorism is such a stupid term. If there is a bully in your playground and you STOP fearing the bully...the bully disappears. Much like the proverbial devil- If you deeply believe in this force you give life to this force...Stop believing in terror. Don't let others tell you to be afraid.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:26 PM

1,855 posts, read 3,608,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_Green_50 View Post
I hate to see this happen, but it drove the point home that if bad things are going to happen, there are other ways then firearms.

Bombs do more damage and don't even need the person/people there to set it off.

Guess what? Most explosives are already illegal or heavily Federally regulated.

Does anyone think they care?
Well then the solution is obvious. We should take the next logical step from the NRA, which argues that if everyone were armed with guns, there would be less gun violence. So why not have everyone armed with bombs, too?

Old 04-17-2013, 09:27 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,580,303 times
Teror is an emotion. Terrorism is a tactic.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Fear kills people...and fear is instilled in people by people. If you FEAR long enough that you will contract cancer the brain and spirit will generate that cancer. If a nation excepts fear as a way of life - that is the end of that nation. Terrorism is such a stupid term. If there is a bully in your playground and you STOP fearing the bully...the bully disappears. Much like the proverbial devil- If you deeply believe in this force you give life to this force...Stop believing in terror. Don't let others tell you to be afraid.
I don't believe in submitting to terror. But I do believe that CRIMINALS attack and kill people who weren't operating from a place of "terror," - they were simply running a marathon, or cheering people they loved from the sidelines.

No amount of bravado or "lack of terror" would have stopped these criminals (some might call them terrorists) from planting those bombs. In fact, they planted those bombs right in the midst of "freedom," and "good times," and " good, clean fun." Not a sign of terror around, and yet within seconds, people lay dead and maimed on the ground.

At the hands of criminals, not "terror."

Old 04-17-2013, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
Well then the solution is obvious. We should take the next logical step from the NRA, which argues that if everyone were armed with guns, there would be less gun violence. So why not have everyone armed with bombs, too?
Everyone could be armed with bombs. From my understanding, most of us have the means to produce a bomb right in our kitchen, or within one short trip to the hardware store.

Hell, my grandmother had several pressure cookers. I have one of hers in my cabinet right now. I'm scared everytime I open the cabinet door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies