Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 08:25 AM

6,258 posts, read 5,066,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mask View Post
Most of us had to go to the library when we couldn't afford computers/internet.

If they must provide them for free, I can see having a bank of computers set up in a dedicated space in low income housing developments, that are supervised during usage hours. I can't see giving people free computers and internet service.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:28 AM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Nothing is free, even after where I work raises rates to try and cover the losses we still write of a ton of $ on this. The Govt doesn't reimburse the full %. ATT etc will fight this tooth and nail.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:33 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Nothing is free, even after where I work raises rates to try and cover the losses we still write of a ton of $ on this. The Govt doesn't reimburse the full %. ATT etc will fight this tooth and nail.
It's a done deal.

There was no vote. The FCC runs this and they made the switch.
The USC will pay for it and the FCC will raise the rates for the "donations" the telecoms submit.
The telecoms are not mandated by the government to recoup via their customers but they do.

It's a nice scheme, all worded up correctly.

If you want phone service you'll pay.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:35 AM

3,674 posts, read 3,033,442 times
Not sure why this is even being done. The money spent on this and similar programs should be given to the wealthy "job creators" for better use

Old 04-18-2013, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
Not sure why this is even being done. The money spent on this and similar programs should be given to the wealthy "job creators" for better use :rollseyes:
LOL..it is. Verizon, AT&T, Sprint..they all get their cut and reimbursed via USC that we pay to them.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:44 AM

3,674 posts, read 3,033,442 times
IDK- I dislike people that game and abuse the system as much as anyone. But I tend to notice here Down Under, more of a sense of community, "we're all in this together" type spirit. Aussies look out for one another, especially those who are down on their luck. In the $tate$ it's more "I've got mine" A good example of this was the devastating Bundaberg floods back in January. So many lost everything, yet the whole country pitched in to help these folks put their lives back together, best they can. I can imagine if that happened in America, people would mock them and say"that's what they get for living in that area, too bad for them" Sad really.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:50 AM

Quote:
IDK- I dislike people that game and abuse the system as much as anyone. But I tend to notice here Down Under, more of a sense of community, "we're all in this together" type spirit. Aussies look out for one another, especially those who are down on their luck. In the $tate$ it's more "I've got mine" A good example of this was the devastating Bundaberg floods back in January. So many lost everything, yet the whole country pitched in to help these folks put their lives back together, best they can. I can imagine if that happened in America, people would mock them and say"that's what they get for living in that area, too bad for them" Sad really.
The US is a bit different. Replace that "we" with "me".

The lifeline program just dropped 41% of their subscribers for not qualifying.
They were not poor and/or had multiple plans per household.

That should tell you about America's sense of "community" and "fair share" mentality.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:54 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the mask View Post
What's next free Mercedes.
I believe the intent is to equalize the playing field to give the poor access to information -- like job applications that are increasingly only available online.

Personally, I think the internet should be a public service, anyway.

I suppose you would prefer to increase the barriers to poor and keep them poor, right? That would really be a help to our situation, right?

Only when we as a people decide to mobilize our human productivity will this again become a great nation. Those that choose to place barriers to such mobilization are merely giving lip service to their love of their country.

4,412 posts, read 3,957,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
If we were a truly advanced country, everyone would have free Wi-Fi anyways.

The saddest part of all is that our country is not organized and/or advanced enough to do this.
^
THIS

At very least broadband access in rural areas. The sad fact is that several Republican led states have passed laws prohibiting local governments from creating their own broadband/wi-fi networks. That's right, some states have made it priority to protect private monopolies who offer bad service, if they offer any service at all. Don't have internet service in your area? Too bad. Don't like that verizon has capped your speeds at 15Mbs? Too bad, we value their lobbying dollars more than your access to information and life in the 21st century.
It's absolutely insane.

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times
Quote:
You are totally wrong. In cases of devastation the country does pitch in but once helped do you expect to continue supporting those people the rest of their lives, then support the offspring too?

We have safety nets for people who are having a hard time but what you fail to realize is welfare lifers have no interest in supporting themselves and will continue to live off the labors of other hard working Americans. What is worse is they keep having more babies then teach those babies how to game the system now we have generational welfare that Americans are forced to support.

Sad? yes it is sad when we have a large group of people who think nothing of taking from other people as a lifelong lifestyle. That is abuse.

Last edited by petch751; 04-18-2013 at 09:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies