Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 01:30 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
WRONG! That's only for people who don't have children. I know people who have been on food stamps for YEARS! Section 8 hard to get? Lol you have no idea what you are talking about.

Texas Health and Human Services Commission: SNAP (food stamp) program

I tried unsuccessfully for almost ten years to get Section 8. I waited five years for the waiting list to open, then they opened the waiting list through a lottery, which I did not 'win' therefore I was not even able to get on the waiting list. YMMV

Old 04-19-2013, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Giving people cars will make them more productive as well..

Ooh, so now its hate to want people to be able to afford stuff and not live in poverty?

Actually, conservative talk show host Lars Larson has cited some study showing that having car actually enhances earning ability more than a high school diploma. (i.e. if you have neither a car nor a diploma, in the short run at least you are better off with a car)

He has also cited a local program somewhere which provides loans for people to buy low-end cars, with the loan repaid through earnings from their newly increased earnings.

WTF are you talking about? If home ownership were scalable, developers would build homes that low-wage workers could afford to buy. It's hate to insist that only unaffordable homes be built for low-wage workers, keeping them in rent slavery instead of gaining financial independence through stabilized housing costs. saving for the future (facilitated by escaping rent inflation and locking in fixed P & I payments), and home equity (through principal reduction and property appreciation).

Old 04-19-2013, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Where the hell do you live that you think its only 3 months?

See this is the problem with liberalism, compelete and total ignorance..

"Well 3 months aint bad, so yes, I support it".. Completely ignoring the fact that 3 months IS A LIE..

??? I'm not a liberal but where is 3 months a lie for unemployed able-bodied childess adults?

Old 04-19-2013, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Then, how about you fork out your money to pay for all these people who get it for free? Yes, YOU and every other liberal out there who wants to take care of the "people." YOU take care of them and leave me out of it. I don't really care some people don't have access to the internet. You want internet, a computer, and a cell phone? Get a job and pay for it like the rest of us.

I think the idea is that down/uploading (e.g. streaming) sucks up vast bandwidth and should be charged for accordingly.

Why should web surfers pay the same amount as bandwidth hogs?

I once had a mobile internet that allowed me 5 MB per month (and then throttled speed, so it was still usable but at a lower speed). Every month I did a ton of web surfing and used very close to 5 MB. Now I have a real broadband high-speed connection which allows 250 MB per month. I still do a ton of web surfing but there are two guys who watch a ton of movies, and collectively we use about 150 MB per month.

Which means that in one day, the other guys use about as much bandwidth as I use in a month. Why again should web surfers pay as much as movie streamers?

Old 04-19-2013, 03:22 AM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Says who? It's bad enough they get free food and housing from the government, now they want free luxuries too?
1. You think providing food & shelter to the people of our nation is bad? Try living in a third-world country for a while, and then report back to us on how great those systems work for everyone.

2. Internet is no longer a "luxury" in this day & age... many schools (from elementary to college) now REQUIRE Internet/email, most job & housing applications are only available online, etc. It was a luxury 15-20 years ago, today not so much.

Old 04-19-2013, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
The local libraries here in Fort Worth offer free internet access. Whenever I happen into a library there is usually a good crowd of people using the computers, or on the list waiting to use the computers. I cannot say what they are doing, of course, but one hopes they are looking for jobs, housing, etc. I believe they have pretty strict filters in place, so one may not 'wander' too much.
Pretty much all public libraries now offer free Internet/computer access, and in most states filters on adult-use computers are illegal. So we don't control what they do, and quite frankly we don't care... the only thing my library cares about is downloading (due to virus threats), which we generally restrict to personal flash drives.

Quote:
It is indeed a new world. Back in my youth, when looking for work, I hung around the manpower centers, or I would, early in the morning, be at the office of the local paper so I could get an early copy of the day's classified ads (along with usually a dozen other people).

When my elder sister was looking for a job last year, she mentioned how several places only wanted electronic resumes, not paper.
Yup. As I just said above, Internet is no longer a luxury! For those who want to find a job, apply for schools, housing, etc, the best (sometimes only) place to get that done is online. Offering free or reduced-cost WiFi is good for the economy, and helps to bridge that digital divide - which is a real thing, in fact I even wrote a paper on it in graduate school.

Old 04-19-2013, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
Hell, they are an embarrasement to our species!!!
*embarrassment

[/irony]

I swear, you guys make it too easy!

Old 04-19-2013, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I was under the impression that one of the main reasons we were still subsidizing libraries to the extent that we are is that they "provide free internet to those too poor to afford it".
One of the reasons, perhaps - but I don't think it's one of the MAIN reasons. We provide a lot more than free Internet, which anyone who's used a library in the last 10 years should know.

Old 04-19-2013, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Oh I get it... you signed on to Chris Matthews definition of racism. And racism is only against blacks right?
The only way you could have possibly gotten (anti-black) racism out of those posts? If you yourself translated "poor, stupid, underachieving, etc" as referring to black people... I didn't, the other poster didn't, so clearly it is only petch who is acting a bit racist here.

Old 04-19-2013, 03:52 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the mask View Post
Your article stated that the internet helped someone find a job.
The city, where you pay no taxes, thought it was in their best interest to provide access to the internet so people could get jobs.

Seems like poutrage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies