Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 12:59 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,203,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rural City Gal View Post
But white people should not use their plight, with ours as black people. It makes seem even as black people, we cannot even get the rights of our struggle without white people taking it for their own gain.I really wish someone who is black, and feel the same way I do would answer this discussion.
I'm sorry, but civil rights don't just belong to blacks, or women, or Native Americans, or gays, or any other group.

EVERY American citizen should fight for equal civil rights.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:00 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,683,166 times
The objectors to same sex marriage are responsible for creating the comparison, by employing the identical, illogical strategies to deny what was being requested.

Is it possible that those who take offense to the comparison, are still offended by the fact that the same strategies failed when employed against the civil rights movement?

Old 04-18-2013, 01:00 PM

2,682 posts, read 4,480,222 times
Quote:
But white people should not use their plight, with ours as black people. It makes seem even as black people, we cannot even get the rights of our struggle without white people taking it for their own gain.I really wish someone who is black, and feel the same way I do would answer this discussion.
Aren't you perpetuating the prejudice? Aren't we all humans? Like the poster above said, you should be proud that the fundementals of the black fight are now being used by the gays. Blacks set the path.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:03 PM

482 posts, read 798,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
I'm sorry, but civil rights don't just belong to blacks, or women, or Native Americans, or gays, or any other group.

I was not even talking about Civil Rights as a whole,I was talking white gays always comparing themselves with the struggles of black people. Why can't they latch onto another race of people? Such as N.A. Hispanics?The Jews?

Old 04-18-2013, 01:04 PM

25 posts, read 20,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post

Indeed.

I'm a straight white man.

But it's still my business when a gay person is discriminated against, when a non-white is discriminated against, when a woman is discrimination.

And one reason I have so much admiration for the aforementioned John Lewis is that he supports Civil Rights. Period. Not Civil Rights that happen to benefit him, but Civil Rights. And he's not someone who peddles any "My suffering was worse than yours and my rights are real but yours aren't!" divisive nonsense.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:05 PM

482 posts, read 798,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
Aren't you perpetuating the prejudice? Aren't we all humans? Like the poster above said, you should be proud that the fundementals of the black fight are now being used by the gays. Blacks set the path.
No I am not proud, because it makes it seem like the struggles of my ancestor should be forgotten, and null, and void.It almost seem like we are joke.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:09 PM

4,241 posts, read 7,174,492 times
Quote:
No I am not proud, because it makes it seem like the struggles of my ancestor should be forgotten, and null, and void.It almost seem like we are joke.
....and how does it do that?

Old 04-18-2013, 01:10 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,460,012 times
Quote:
white gays always comparing themselves with the struggles of black people. Why can't they latch onto another race of people?
What about black gays? Are they allowed to reference the struggles of black people?

Old 04-18-2013, 01:11 PM

4,241 posts, read 7,174,492 times
Quote:
And one reason I have so much admiration for the aforementioned John Lewis is that he supports Civil Rights. Period. Not Civil Rights that happen to benefit him, but Civil Rights. And he's not someone who peddles any "My suffering was worse than yours and my rights are real but yours aren't!" divisive nonsense.
Excellent comment. As if civil rights was some sort of zero-sum game.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:11 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,203,370 times
Quote:
I was not even talking about Civil Rights as a whole,I was talking white gays always comparing themselves with the struggles of black people. Why can't they latch onto another race of people? Such as N.A. Hispanics?The Jews?
I have never compared my struggles to that of black people. I have said that the arguments against civil rights for blacks (that failed) is the same argument being used today against gays.

You aren't the only group to have had struggles in this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies