Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 03:02 PM

482 posts, read 798,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by red4ce View Post
India Trip (1959)

Here's MLK making a direct comparison between the struggles of African Americans to the struggles of Indians. Do you find it baffling or have a problem with this?

That above comment is redundant, because later on in MLK's career, he realized that the passive-aggressive approach was not working here in America, and he was becoming militant, that Gandhi aprooach was long gone before he got killed.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:02 PM

31,029 posts, read 22,064,322 times
Rural, Being Bisexual yourself aren't you part of the GLBT community by default. I would have thought that you would be more sympathetic?

Old 04-18-2013, 03:03 PM

482 posts, read 798,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Rural, Being Bisexual yourself aren't you part of the GLBT community by default. I would have thought that you would be more sympathetic?

I am a black woman first, and foremost. Second, third, and fourth. Me being bisexual comes dead last.Besides the LGBT community are not to keen on bisexual females,sooooo......yeah it's whatever.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:51 PM

347 posts, read 695,660 times
I don't like the comparison myself. I'm black but not from the US and have neither lived there nor ever intend to do so. So the American Civil Rights movement is not part of my history. While I acknowledge the movement and recognize it as a pivotal moment in recent American history, the struggles of black Americans are still pretty irrelevant to me personally. My knowledge of it has mostly been gleaned from tv and I believe a paragraph in a history text in secondary school.

That being said the whole gay- black parallel does bother me from a different perspective as it implicitly equates being black with not being the average or norm. There is nothing unusual or special or different about being black on a global level (if one can even use such a silly and subjective term as "black" on a global level). So don't try to marginalize an entire race like that. It offends me as I don't like being thought of as "different" anymore than the next person. I don't wake up in the morning thinking "Wow I'm black. This feels good/bad/dirty/sexy. "

Now I'm not saying to be gay means one is not normal per se. But society (whether we like it or not) does perceive heterosexuality to be the norm, the usual, the default. Not saying that's right...just stating what is. And you will find this attitude even in "liberal" countries where gay marriage is legal (I hate to use the word liberal to describe such countries as to me liberal implies freedom of lifestyle and personal expressions and there is no such thing as a gay lifestyle anymore than there is a hetero one)

Old 04-18-2013, 03:57 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,203,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rural City Gal View Post
I am a black woman first, and foremost. Second, third, and fourth. Me being bisexual comes dead last.Besides the LGBT community are not to keen on bisexual females,sooooo......yeah it's whatever.
WOW! I'm an American citizen FIRST. I am not a Native American citizen first, or an Italian American first. I am not a lesbian American , or a white, or a woman first.

I am an American citizen.

Maybe if you stop marginalizing yourself, others might too.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:59 PM

596 posts, read 730,086 times
I'm black, and I don't have a problem with it at all. Of course race and sexual orientation aren't exactly the same, but there are certainly parallels when it comes to discrimination based on race and discrimination based on sexual orientation. Besides, there are plenty of gay black people as well. My best friend in the world happens to be both black and gay. Sometimes being a minority within a minority, she actually feels that her personal story (and the story of other gay black people) is often dismissed by both sides.

Old 04-18-2013, 04:09 PM

596 posts, read 730,086 times
Quote:
Wow Rural. That's certainly an interesting perspective. If you feel that you aren't accepted by the LGBT community because you're bisexual, then it seems that you would have an even better understanding of what it's like to be marginalized. I do know the lots of lesbians choose not to date bisexuals, but I don't know too many who choose not to actually include them as part of the LGBT community. Hell, the "B" in LGBT actually stands for bisexual. I wonder if you can say that your being bisexual comes dead last because bisexuals aren't necessarily viewed with the same hatred that gays and lesbians are. I know plenty of bisexuals who are basically only bi behind closed doors, so it's easier for them not to be the blatant targets of hatred and ridicule. My best friend is an out, black, dominant lesbian. She has a masculine vibe and people pretty much assume she's gay when they first meet her. There is no hiding who she is. So being a lesbian certainly doesn't come dead last for her because it's just as big (and obvious) part of her identity as being black.

Old 04-18-2013, 04:42 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,788,097 times
Another problem unique to gays, is when you have friends, and they find out about you, and then they don't call you anymore. Family members too will often alienate you. It's hurtful.

Old 04-18-2013, 04:42 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,055,531 times
I get annoying when anyone (gays, non-blacks, and especially females) compare their problems to that of blacks.

Old 04-18-2013, 06:02 PM

31,029 posts, read 22,064,322 times
Quote:

"Me being bisexual comes dead last"
Interesting perspective. So your Bi-Light as I like to say. As in you could live with out it?

"the LGBT community are not to keen on bisexual females"
Well, they added th "B" so they could incorporate Bisexuals, so they can't be too down on you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies