Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 06:59 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times

Advertisements

"Gays and lesbians stood up for civil rights in Montgomery, Selma, in Albany, Ga. and St. Augustine, Fla., and many other campaigns of the Civil Rights Movement. Many of these courageous men and women were fighting for my freedom at a time when they could find few voices for their own, and I salute their contributions."

"Homophobia is like racism and anti-Semitism and other forms of bigotry in that it seeks to dehumanize a large group of people, to deny their humanity, their dignity and personhood. This sets the stage for further repression and violence that spread all too easily to victimize the next minority group."

"I appeal to everyone who believes in Martin Luther King Jr.'s dream to make room at the table of brother and sisterhood for lesbian and gay people."

"I believe all Americans who believe in freedom, tolerance and human rights have a responsibility to oppose bigotry and prejudice based on sexual orientation."

"Lesbian and gay people are a permanent part of the American workforce, who currently have no protection from the arbitrary abuse of their rights on the job. For too long, our nation has tolerated the insidious form of discrimination against this group of Americans, who have worked as hard as any group, paid their taxes like everyone else, and yet have been denied equal protection under the law."

-Coretta Scott King

Old 04-18-2013, 07:01 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red4ce View Post
Martin Luther King got his ideas from Gandhi.
Do you know who initially introduced MLK Jr. to his non-violent, Gandhian tactics?

(hint: it was a gay man)

Old 04-18-2013, 07:14 PM

30,354 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Maybe I should ask my black gay friends what they think.
I have (my "brother" is actually black & gay, as are a few friends), and they have no problem with it... of course they don't speak for the entire black and/or gay community, but it doesn't offend them at all. Matter of fact, they find it to be a very valid comparison - because even though the issues of BEING gay vs black are very different, the arguments against them are too similar to ignore.

Btw, I have also discussed this with my black ex-boyfriend, and he thinks it's a valid comparison too. His ex-wife is white, and I've heard him say quite clearly "our marriage was once illegal, so we need to support ALL consenting adults' right to marry." Or something like that.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:14 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,492,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rural City Gal View Post
No I am not proud, because it makes it seem like the struggles of my ancestor should be forgotten, and null, and void.It almost seem like we are joke.
Your ancestors struggles will never be forgotten and it is no joke. Please remember that gay people also fought with your ancestors and marched with them for civil rights. We supported your efforts, yet when your rights were granted, ours were denied. The fight is the same, regardless of the race, age or sexual orientation of the people involved.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:17 PM

30,354 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
I get annoying when anyone (gays, non-blacks, and especially females) compare their problems to that of blacks.
That's all it takes for you to get annoying? I wonder if your friends and family would agree.

Just teasing (I realize it's probably a typo), but who are you to say what OTHER people can or cannot think? If they want to make that comparison, they have every right to do so... and yes, you have the right to get annoyed by it, as long as that's the end of your "intervention." Just don't be surprised if people do it anyway, since your opinion is merely that - an opinion.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
Another problem unique to gays, is when you have friends, and they find out about you, and then they don't call you anymore. Family members too will often alienate you. It's hurtful.
I have been down that street a few times. A few years ago I saw a friend and his wife that I had not seen in a long time, they asked me how things were for my partner and I. I told them that we got married while it was legal here in California. The wife said that she was very happy for us, the husband looked shocked and said, " you guys are gay?". His wife gave him a look that said are you stupid. We knew them for about 8 years at that time, but ever since they have avoided us. I do not see how her husband could not know, we have three bedrooms, one was a TV room, one was a computer media room and the other had a large bed that we both slept in. I guess the husband just kept turning a blind eye towards what should have been obvious to anyone that we are a couple.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:44 PM

482 posts, read 799,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbsnm View Post
Wow Rural. That's certainly an interesting perspective. If you feel that you aren't accepted by the LGBT community because you're bisexual, then it seems that you would have an even better understanding of what it's like to be marginalized. I do know the lots of lesbians choose not to date bisexuals, but I don't know too many who choose not to actually include them as part of the LGBT community. Hell, the "B" in LGBT actually stands for bisexual. I wonder if you can say that your being bisexual comes dead last because bisexuals aren't necessarily viewed with the same hatred that gays and lesbians are. I know plenty of bisexuals who are basically only bi behind closed doors, so it's easier for them not to be the blatant targets of hatred and ridicule. My best friend is an out, black, dominant lesbian. She has a masculine vibe and people pretty much assume she's gay when they first meet her. There is no hiding who she is. So being a lesbian certainly doesn't come dead last for her because it's just as big (and obvious) part of her identity as being black.

Naw, they just don't like bisexual women, and that's fine to me, because I don't involve myself of heavily in the ***** community anyways, and I don't see myself being married to a woman. So I say, the LGBT community can hate me all they want.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Naw, they just don't like bisexual women, and that's fine to me, because I don't involve myself of heavily in the ***** community anyways, and I don't see myself being married to a woman. So I say, the LGBT community can hate me all they want.
We/I do not hate you, but it seems you have a lot of angst against gays. I have gay men friends, lesbian friends, bisexual friends and many straight friends. I hate none of them.

Old 04-19-2013, 10:01 AM

31,050 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
"Gays and lesbians stood up for civil rights in Montgomery, Selma, in Albany, Ga. and St. Augustine, Fla., and many other campaigns of the Civil Rights Movement. Many of these courageous men and women were fighting for my freedom at a time when they could find few voices for their own, and I salute their contributions."

"Homophobia is like racism and anti-Semitism and other forms of bigotry in that it seeks to dehumanize a large group of people, to deny their humanity, their dignity and personhood. This sets the stage for further repression and violence that spread all too easily to victimize the next minority group."

"I appeal to everyone who believes in Martin Luther King Jr.'s dream to make room at the table of brother and sisterhood for lesbian and gay people."

"I believe all Americans who believe in freedom, tolerance and human rights have a responsibility to oppose bigotry and prejudice based on sexual orientation."

"Lesbian and gay people are a permanent part of the American workforce, who currently have no protection from the arbitrary abuse of their rights on the job. For too long, our nation has tolerated the insidious form of discrimination against this group of Americans, who have worked as hard as any group, paid their taxes like everyone else, and yet have been denied equal protection under the law."

-Coretta Scott King
That is basically what it is all about. Even though I really feel indifferent to many GLBT issues, Have enough issues living in a Hetero world, Ya'all are still tax paying Adults and should have the same rights as Heteros within reason.

Old 04-19-2013, 10:04 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,774,139 times
Quote:
Does anyone else find it baffling or have a problem with gay people trying to compare the struggles of black people to their own? I saw this stupid ass comment on another website,posted by someone who supports LBGT.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...75894510_n.jpg
Nope. Coretta Scott King compared the two. Do you have a problem with her doing so?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies