Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 06:36 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
Perry urges all Americans to keep West in their prayers | Explosion in West, TX | Star-T...

In related news, all three members of the Congressional delegation representing West, Texas (Senators Cornyn and Cruz and Congressman Flores) joined in vowing to 'assist' victims. 'Assist'? What, are they going to personally stop by and help repair blown out windows and ripped-off roofs? No. What they mean is that they're going to do all they can to steer federal aid to the city of West, Texas.

All three of them -- Cornyn and Cruz and Flores -- voted against the bill that delivered federal aid to victims of Hurricane Sandy.
I think he'd be stupid if he didn't
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 06:38 AM

13,685 posts, read 9,009,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
I think he'd be stupid if he didn't

I agree. While Governor Perry is not my favorite governor, I do expect him to make use of any Federal aid available. We should be thinking about how the victims can be helped, and not try to make 'political points' out of this.

Old 04-19-2013, 06:43 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I agree. While Governor Perry is not my favorite governor, I do expect him to make use of any Federal aid available. We should be thinking about how the victims can be helped, and not try to make 'political points' out of this.

It looks like half that town was blown up. I feel for those folks.

Old 04-19-2013, 06:44 AM

59,059 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
Perry urges all Americans to keep West in their prayers | Explosion in West, TX | Star-T...

In related news, all three members of the Congressional delegation representing West, Texas (Senators Cornyn and Cruz and Congressman Flores) joined in vowing to 'assist' victims. 'Assist'? What, are they going to personally stop by and help repair blown out windows and ripped-off roofs? No. What they mean is that they're going to do all they can to steer federal aid to the city of West, Texas.

All three of them -- Cornyn and Cruz and Flores -- voted against the bill that delivered federal aid to victims of Hurricane Sandy.
Same old CRAP. They voted NO because of the PORK the DEMs threw in.

Some people need to grow up.

Old 04-19-2013, 06:46 AM

59,059 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Couple of things (as I bite my tongue - or rather, the ends of my fingers):

1. The AMOUNT of federal aid (especially as compared to the amount per dollar lost of federal aid to areas in the South) is what the issue was with Hurricane Sandy. ADDITIONAL federal aid above the ratios given to other disasters was the issue. Of course when such disparity is so evident, it appears some favoritism is at play.

2. Texas only wants to be treated equitably when it comes to federal aid - especially considering the amount of federal dollars the state of Texas pays IN to the federal coffers each year.

3. Your disgusting comment "Not like anything of value has been lost" shows your true colors. Lives have been lost, homes have been lost, people have been gravely injured. The fact that you said that at all discredits anything else you might add to the conversation.

4. Perry hasn't begged for federal aid. The state of Texas puts more IN to the federal coffers than it takes out. All Perry wants is what rightfully should be sent to the town of West.

5. Perry isn't a "secessionist governor." He has never called for secession. Only about 2-3 percent of Texans claim to be in favor of secession. Hell, I would bet that 2-3 percent of the population of ANY state would say they'd prefer to secede from the Union!
Don't confuse them with the facts, it makes them even dizzier!

Old 04-19-2013, 06:47 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Pederman View Post
Not like anything of value was lost.
Another caring liberal. I called this attitude from the beginning. And true to form, the real haters from the left have come forward.

Boston is overwhelmingly Democrat, but Texans everywhere had nothing but support for them this week.

Old 04-19-2013, 06:50 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianPetersonRules View Post
The humor here is that unlike Chris Christie, who didn't call for his state to secede, Perry did. Of course they'll get the aid, but it makes Perry look like the puppet he is.
Please provide proof that Perry called for secession. Everything I see by him dismisses the idea.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:27 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Why are liberals in this thread politicizing a tragedy?
Ugh, what a disgusting thing to say.

THIS liberal is donating blood and money tomorrow.

What have YOU done?

Old 04-19-2013, 07:43 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
In my opinion when there is a disaster we should all be AMERICANS before we are Right, Left, Republican, Democrat, or anything else divisive. This Texas town was nearly nuked by this blast so we should be doing all we can to help the survivors restore their lives.

Suburban Boston had a running gunfight with some stone crazy killers last night following a slaughter at the Marathon. This place is nervous but not terrified. Fortunately we were not West, Texas.
I've used up all my rep points but here's one atcha.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:44 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Preach it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies