Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 12:26 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post
The Republicans/ALEC/Business Roundtable axis of evil can be written off as of November 1980 as crazies. I also rejoice in their marginalization. My concern is the Blue Dog Democrats like Obama et. al. Obama has his sights on earned benefits in his usual give-away-everything-and-get-little-Karl-Rove-sends-me-a-cheque-every-month style. The world is upside down and FDR is spinning in his grave. Do we have a Democratic Party anymore?

What do you think?
I think the politvcal pendulum is always swing has biden put it. Presidents are not elcted by either parties base it takes indepoednt voters who switch their vote depending largely o results as they see them. its often said all poical movemnt comes form lcoal elctions spread to state results and the antional. I the past two elctio repubicnas made hge against in state house results. But just the first mid terms showed that voters decided to take away the supre majority fro demcorats and they didn't return it in 2012. presidental election.

Old 04-20-2013, 12:37 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
I think relegating Republicans to the trash heap because of their ridiculously offensive behavior in recent years is without merit: They've very effectively sold a bill of goods to their supporters, elevating selfishness and avarice, duping otherwise decent people into buying-into their moral bankruptcy.
But if terrorist incidents continue and a recession comes, it will be easy in 2014 for a lot of Americans to buy back into this Republican moral bankruptcy and return Republicans to rule the U. S. Senate.

Old 04-20-2013, 12:47 PM

1,963 posts, read 1,822,896 times
Speaking as a Republican, the GOP needs to get away from the lunatic evangelical fringe of the party, and focus on core conservative standpoints.

But this is what you get when you gerrymander yourself into representing the far right nut jobs you're trying to distance yourself from on a national level. Even so, does any GOP advisor really believe that moving slightly toward the center is going to cause the rural/religious/rich vote to turncoat directly to the Democrats? Fat chance.

Move away from the church, the ignorance on social issues, and start accepting that giving corporations free reign does not work, and perhaps government has some use other than invading sovereign nations.

Old 04-20-2013, 12:52 PM

1,976 posts, read 2,353,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I think the politvcal pendulum is always swing has biden put it. Presidents are not elcted by either parties base it takes indepoednt voters who switch their vote depending largely o results as they see them. its often said all poical movemnt comes form lcoal elctions spread to state results and the antional. I the past two elctio repubicnas made hge against in state house results. But just the first mid terms showed that voters decided to take away the supre majority fro demcorats and they didn't return it in 2012. presidental election.
Why does it swing?

It doesn't seem like a lot of voters or the general populace/independents are very educated on the issues. For example, my fathers' friends vote Republican and are thus voting for the people who want to take away their Medicare, Social Security, etc. Maybe they are so rich they don't care, but it is still taking away an earned benefit. They paid into them for years and now it's their turn to reap the benefits.

Old 04-20-2013, 12:56 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
But if terrorist incidents continue and a recession comes, it will be easy in 2014 for a lot of Americans to buy back into this Republican moral bankruptcy and return Republicans to rule the U. S. Senate.
Which is why Republicans, already steeped in moral bankruptcy, have an incentive to obstruct measures to alleviate such problems, and effectively sabotage the United States, to gain power for themselves. It used to be that we could trust in the honor of Republicans to not do such things (I know - I was a Republican back then), but we can no longer trust in that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith904 View Post
Speaking as a Republican, the GOP needs to get away from the lunatic evangelical fringe of the party, and focus on core conservative standpoints.
To be fair, I do think the religious reactionaries have lost power. You still see the one-issue Republicans opposing reproductive choice, sure, and there are even a minority of Republican leaders still beholden to homophobia, but it's clearly lessening, and the demographics show that it will eventually evaporate. What we haven't seen is any indication that the GOP is moving away from egoistic greed-mongering back toward pushing for responsible, cooperative deficit reduction, i.e., fiscal conservatism.

Old 04-20-2013, 12:59 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Why would I be sour? My man hammered in the election.

I am disgusted with the GOP of course, but their idiocy, paranoia, and corporate fawning has become so over the top that I think even joe six pack has had enough.

What a load!

The last election was about food stamps, free cell phones and cable TV, all paid for with money borrowed from China because significant tax increases are DOA.

Everyone got what they wanted in 2012.

The problem is this free-for-all can't go on forever, and when Democrats can't give away free phones and food stamps we'll all be forced to become economic and social conservatives.

Old 04-20-2013, 01:03 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post
Why does it swing?

It doesn't seem like a lot of voters or the general populace/independents are very educated on the issues. For example, my fathers' friends vote Republican and are thus voting for the people who want to take away their Medicare, Social Security, etc. Maybe they are so rich they don't care, but it is still taking away an earned benefit. They paid into them for years and now it's their turn to reap the benefits.
When the government started SS and Medicare people thought government would take care of them. People placed way too much trust in government.

Now people who paid into SS don't know if it will be bankrupt by the time they are able to collect. The point is, people should not be encouraged to depend on government because government does not have your best interest at heart. Instead people should be educated in financial matters so they are able to take care of themselves.

People will pay for placing too much trust in the government.

Old 04-20-2013, 01:22 PM

1,976 posts, read 2,353,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
When the government started SS and Medicare people thought government would take care of them. People placed way too much trust in government.

Now people who paid into SS don't know if it will be bankrupt by the time they are able to collect. The point is, people should not be encouraged to depend on government because government does not have your best interest at heart. Instead people should be educated in financial matters so they are able to take care of themselves.

People will pay for placing too much trust in the government.
The program was started during times of economic disaster. These programs need to be expanded as the need is as great today. The private sector has only one interest: to make money. No morals/no other consideration. The private sector is drug dealers and arms dealers and Goldman Sachs/Vegas, as well as more positive green businesses, Costco, etc. I've worked in both sectors and don't want the private sector anywhere near earned benefits. There is no comparison, I trust the government far more than those devoted to profit.

Old 04-20-2013, 01:22 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butkus51 View Post
Oh great. Another 'indie' who posts like a lefty.
Most 'indies' are gutless leftist snipes who take shots at the right then wave the 'indie' flag when challenged. They are generally emasculated ideologically as they lack the stones to say what they really are.
Well, most right wingers seem to be "my way of the highway" types. That is exactly why they cannot seem to learn or lead or grow their party. Everyone who is not an NRA, Southern Baptist, gay bashing John Birch society man is the enemy, to be insulted and despised.

"We hate you! Now, vote for us or else!"

Good luck with that.

Old 04-20-2013, 01:29 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,205,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Sour grapes are sour.
After the 2012 elections? I don't think the D's have sour grapes, and you guys seem to be doing everything in your power to push more people out of the party and to brand yourselves as completely nuts. 2014 should be a cake walk for the R's with the number of current D Senate seats that SHOULD be vulnerable, but if the R's keep on the track they're on now, I wouldn't count on it. If you would have asked six months ago if the D's could get 17 more House seats in the midterms I would have laughed, but who knows--I think they'll at least make more gains there as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies