Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 08:59 AM

2,682 posts, read 4,479,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
So what do you think the purpose of marriage is, in as far as why the people in our country decided to involve the government in it? Let's start there first.
Commitment between two people. The government is involved because of tax benefits but also legal benefits in the case of death etc. That's what I want for me and my GF. I want her to be protected if something happens to me.

I understand the argument that "traditional marriage" is meant for the raising of children. But give me a break, with the divorce rate, the unmarried mothers etc...it's a joke.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
No.....that's not ALL it's about! But it is clearly set up for the continuing of the population of earth.
If every one was homosexual, where would that take mankind, as the decades procede?
Why do you make this argument?? I can have children, all my parts are working fine!

And honestly, do we really need more people?

Old 04-19-2013, 09:00 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
Quote:
No.....that's not ALL it's about! But it is clearly set up for the continuing of the population of earth.
If every one was homosexual, where would that take mankind, as the decades procede?
My wife and I have 3 children.

Do you seriously think that everyone will turn homosexual is SSM is legalized?

Old 04-19-2013, 09:03 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,673,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
Fundamental purpose...come on, now you're just making stuff up.

Link one state's law on marriage that gives a definition of "fundamental purpose and function".
That's it, isn't it? We forgot to add a legal definition to something that we thought was universally understood. BTW, any legal definition will probably be written in leagalese and no one will understand it.

Sort of like creating a Food Stamp program for the needy, without defining who we actually meant by "needy," and then fighting off lawsuits by people earning $1000,000 a year, who claim they are "needy," and should get their EBT card.

Why don't you step down off your high horse, and tell me what you think the purpose and function of marriage is, and maybe someone will claim you are " just making stuff up."

Old 04-19-2013, 09:03 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
Quote:
Also, there was reproduction before marriage, there is still reproduction without marriage, and there will be reproduction even if all marriage was made illegal.

People can and do have children without a government certificate everyday.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Also, there was reproduction before marriage, there is still reproduction without marriage, and there will be reproduction even if all marriage was made illegal.

Unfortunately for some

Old 04-19-2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:
That's it, isn't it? We forgot to add a legal definition to something that we thought was universally understood. BTW, any legal definition will probably be written in leagalese and no one will understand it.

Sort of like creating a Food Stamp program for the needy, without defining who we actually meant by "needy," and then fighting off lawsuits by people earning $1000,000 a year, who claim they are "needy," and should get their EBT card.

Why don't you step down off your high horse, and tell me what you think the purpose and function of marriage is, and maybe someone will claim you are " just making stuff up."
What do you think the purpose and function is?

I already said that it is a commitment between two people who love and care for each other that offers certain protections and benefits under the law. The couple can chose to raise children together, or chose not to have kids. I am not religious and in all honesty this is all I see marriage to be.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
Commitment between two people. The government is involved because of tax benefits but also legal benefits in the case of death etc. That's what I want for me and my GF. I want her to be protected if something happens to me.
So two same-sex siblings can be married then, since it's about commitment? Why would government give tax benefits to people, just because they want to commit to each other? I'm just trying to get people to identify the reason for why government involves itself in marriage, and it's not because of personal commitments, feelings and such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
I understand the argument that "traditional marriage" is meant for the raising of children. But give me a break, with the divorce rate, the unmarried mothers etc...it's a joke.
The last part is you getting closer to why government involves itself in marriage. The higher the divorce rate and out of wedlock births, the more aggressive governments normally become in trying to encourage and promote marriage among their citizens.

Marriage is about procreation, and no, I'm not a religious person, so don't roll your eyes as if I'm going to bring the church into this.

The single most important thing to any country, no matter their politics or religion, is raising the next best generation of children, as is humanly possible. so getting as many sexually active couples to get married, stay married, and to raise their children together, is why government involves itself.

Government involved itself to add legally binding aspects to marriage, to help reenforce the institution of marriage, to try and prevent divorce, prevent single parents raising children alone.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post

...and what will we end up with? A country full of bastards, a breakdown in the extended family unit, and government social programs forced to pick up the slack to help single parents raise the next generation.

I suppose a total police state will be fine with this, treat their citizens like one big collective, with the state raising all the children, so the unwashed masses can concentrate on working for the state.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
The single most important thing to any country, no matter their politics or religion, is raising the next best generation of children, as is humanly possible. so getting as many sexually active couples to get married, stay married, and to raise their children together, is why government involves itself.

Government involved itself to add legally binding aspects to marriage, to help reenforce the institution of marriage, to try and prevent divorce, prevent single parents raising children alone.
Well the government is doing an absolutely wonderful job then!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies