Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 03:07 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,573,520 times

Advertisements

Since the Velvet Divorce in 1993, the historic kingdom of Bohemia and Moravia returned to the map of Europe, but for some reason probably related to the decline of the teaching of history in our schools, journalists, government officials, and others insisted on calling this newly-resurgent land of Bohemia by the awkward name "Czech Republic". The neologism seems to have stuck, even though no one is quite sure whether this country is called "THE Czech Republic", "Czech Republic", or even "Czechia".

For more than a thousand years, this land was known to English-speakers (and French-speakers too) as "Bohemia". Those titans of English prose and lyric, Shakespeare, Conan-Doyle and Freddie Mercury, all made reference to "Bohemia"; towns and cities throughout North America commemorate the mother country of "Bohemia"; things as disparate as lousy beer and artistic eccentricity are known as "Bohemian". Tourism flourishes whenever the destination is described in fairy-tale magic terms as "Bohemia", and fades in grey post-Soviet gloom whenever the term "Czech Republic" is invoked.

Is Bohemia what the locals call their land and language? No: but did that ever stop us speakers of the English language from calling the Germans German? Or the Austrians Austrian? Or the Dutch Dutch?

Now, thanks to recent terrorist attacks, there is yet another reason to call this land "Bohemia": because it makes it absolutely crystal-clear that Bohemia, a Catholic nation which has given rise to poets, scientists, composers, novelists, and architects, which is not particularly noted either for the raising of sheep, the practice of kidnapping, or Islamic terrorism, is not and never was Chechnya.

Hurrah for Bohemia, a beautiful country in the heart of Europe, about two thousand miles northwest of Chechnya!

AFP: Chechen is not Czech, Prague's envoy reminds
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 03:50 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,205,160 times
I have a better idea--what if Americans just learn that the Czech Republic and Chechnya are 2000 miles apart, and that they have absolutely nothing in common (language, religion, ethnic group, culture) except that they were both forced to be part of the USSR? This could be a learning opportunity.

My husband is 100% Czech--his family came from different parts of the current Czech republic that were once Moravia AND Bohemia. Nebraska has a huge Czech population, scattered in communities across the state where they settled together in groups. They don't call themselves Bohemians, unless their family came from the part of the Czech Republic that was once Bohemia, but they do (or did) all speak the Czech language and are part of the Czech ethnic group. We have Czech festivals and Czech food. You're right--it's a beautiful country, with amazing food--we still eat duck and dumplings with sauerkraut, and bake kolache for special occasions, and a meat processor in Nebraska makes Jaternice, which my FIL would eat daily if he could. I don't think the beer is crappy, and there's always plenty of it at Czech country weddings and polka dances. Yea for the CZECHS!

Nebraska Czechs Festivals

Last edited by mb1547; 04-20-2013 at 04:28 PM..

Old 04-20-2013, 04:07 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,337,762 times
My great grandmother was from there! I can't wait to visit someday.

Old 04-20-2013, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
My great grandmother was from there! I can't wait to visit someday.
My husband and I haven't gone yet, but lots of his family has, and it's an absolutely beautiful country. It's on our bucket list, hopefully in the next 5 years.

Old 04-20-2013, 04:39 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Good to know. My cousin lives in Prague with her husband and sent some beautiful pics. Hope to go visit someday, too.

In the US some really need a geography lesson, then again when I lived in South Florida someone at work didnt know NE stood for a state in this country (lol).

Old 04-20-2013, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Good to know. My cousin lives in Prague with her husband and sent some beautiful pics. Hope to go visit someday, too.

In the US some really need a geography lesson, then again when I lived in South Florida someone at work didnt know NE stood for a state in this country (lol).
We were in Maryland once at one of those Chesapeake bay crab shacks with our kids when they were fairly young. The boys had never had to crack crabs before, we were trying to show them how, and the waitress was confused and surprised that this was a first for them. She asked where we were from, and we told her Nebraska. She said "I don't mean what town--what state are you from?" She'd never heard of it. LOL!

We have to do a better job of teaching geography in this country...

Old 04-20-2013, 05:32 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
It would be awesome to visit the Czech Republic one day.

[check it out]

Old 04-20-2013, 05:43 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
Since the Velvet Divorce in 1993, the historic kingdom of Bohemia and Moravia returned to the map of Europe, but for some reason probably related to the decline of the teaching of history in our schools, journalists, government officials, and others insisted on calling this newly-resurgent land of Bohemia by the awkward name "Czech Republic". The neologism seems to have stuck, even though no one is quite sure whether this country is called "THE Czech Republic", "Czech Republic", or even "Czechia".

For more than a thousand years, this land was known to English-speakers (and French-speakers too) as "Bohemia". Those titans of English prose and lyric, Shakespeare, Conan-Doyle and Freddie Mercury, all made reference to "Bohemia"; towns and cities throughout North America commemorate the mother country of "Bohemia"; things as disparate as lousy beer and artistic eccentricity are known as "Bohemian". Tourism flourishes whenever the destination is described in fairy-tale magic terms as "Bohemia", and fades in grey post-Soviet gloom whenever the term "Czech Republic" is invoked.

Is Bohemia what the locals call their land and language? No: but did that ever stop us speakers of the English language from calling the Germans German? Or the Austrians Austrian? Or the Dutch Dutch?

Now, thanks to recent terrorist attacks, there is yet another reason to call this land "Bohemia": because it makes it absolutely crystal-clear that Bohemia, a Catholic nation which has given rise to poets, scientists, composers, novelists, and architects, which is not particularly noted either for the raising of sheep, the practice of kidnapping, or Islamic terrorism, is not and never was Chechnya.

Hurrah for Bohemia, a beautiful country in the heart of Europe, about two thousand miles northwest of Chechnya!

AFP: Chechen is not Czech, Prague's envoy reminds
I saw that too and the worst part IMHO is that West, Texas is full of people of Czech family and 2 fools from Chechnya bombed Boston.

Old 04-20-2013, 06:03 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,552,941 times
Almost no one in America cares what you call it, you need to take it up with Vladamir.

Old 04-20-2013, 06:25 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post

They really do. There's a lot of Czech-Americans in PA that still say their so and so ancestor was from Czechoslovakia or that they are part Czechoslovakian. Newsflash, those 2 countries split up a while ago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies