Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 09:31 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Do I?

Your governor trumpets your state as the place to do business if one wants fewer regulations and less government oversight.

Reports show that Texas leads the nation in workplace injury.

Texas is also the first to rant about federal over-reach and burdensome federal regulations.

And yet they will allow companies to walk all over their citizens - steal their property, pollute their water and air - as long as they are willing to pay and donate to the next campaign.

Don't preach to me about the results of the policies that the majority of Texans keep voting for.
Who runs OSHA ?
What is their cycle for inspections ?

Note this is not a Texas .gov site as Texas doesn't run OSHA.

Compliance Assistance By Law - The Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSH Act)

Old 04-21-2013, 09:33 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,582,210 times
Quote:
Yep. Texas, bailed out by the Feds again.
Maybe they should raise a giant "GM" flag over Austin for a few days. Both entities know that the disastrous consequences of poor management will get them a bailout.

Old 04-21-2013, 09:33 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,257,576 times
Quote:
Do I?

Your governor trumpets your state as the place to do business if one wants fewer regulations and less government oversight.

Reports show that Texas leads the nation in workplace injury.

Texas is also the first to rant about federal over-reach and burdensome federal regulations.

And yet they will allow companies to walk all over their citizens - steal their property, pollute their water and air - as long as they are willing to pay and donate to the next campaign.

Don't preach to me about the results of the policies that the majority of Texans keep voting for.
According to the BLS TX is safer than than the national average. Only one state has a lower injury rate.

State nonfatal occupational injury and illness incidence rates, private industry, 2011 : The Editor’s Desk : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

USA average - 3.5
-----------------------
Montana- 5.0
Maine - 5.7
Connecticut- 4.5
Oregon - 3.8
Washington - 4.9
California - 3.5
Alaska - 4.5
New Jersey - 3.0
New Mexico - 4.2
Iowa - 4.3
Texas - 2.7
Louisiana - 2.5

Old 04-21-2013, 09:34 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,582,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
then that bill needs to be sent to the company that caused the disaster in the first place.
I'm guessing that "tort reform" laws in Texas will prevent anyone blown up by that company from seeing a dime.

Old 04-21-2013, 09:34 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,324,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
“Hurricane Sandy inflicted devastating damage on the East Coast, and Congress appropriately responded with hurricane relief,” Cruz said in a statement earlier this year. “Unfortunately, cynical politicians in Washington could not resist loading up this relief bill with billions in new spending utterly unrelated to Sandy.

I believe this was all gone over a few days back, sounds like you all missed it.
Interesting, everyone is off on their Cruz-bashing tantrums and ignoring this truth. Sandy relief was so loaded with pork for other states totally unaffected by Sandy that even politicians here in NY opposed the bill. But the mindless left can't resist their little games.

Old 04-21-2013, 09:35 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,939,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Is the company somehow exempt from lawsuits? [SEEMS TO ME I HEAR LOT ABOUT TORT REFORM AND CAPPING AWARD LIMITS]

Was this company unregulated or violating regulations? It can't be both.[ AN INDUSTRY CAN BE DEREGULATED, AND COMPANY CAN BE IN VIOLATION OF REGULATIONS...]

Did the company not have the foresight to purchase insurance? [THE AMOUNT OF DEVASTATION WILL BE FAR MUCH MORE THAT ANY SINGLE SMALL COMPANY WOULD HAVE BEEN REQUIRED TO CARRY]

Are these departments state run or federally run?

------------)
EPA )
OSHA )
DHS )
DOT )
------------) EPA, and DOT are not involved unless a specific violation is registard. OSHA has little regalatory authority and their fines are usually argued to lower amounts.
OSHA routinly has to lower their fines because the company with the violation is small or that the company hires a contractor to do work, hence the small contrator is deemed liable, not the larger company.

Old 04-21-2013, 09:38 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,939,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
According to the BLS TX is safer than than the national average. Only one state has a lower injury rate.

State nonfatal occupational injury and illness incidence rates, private industry, 2011 : The Editor’s Desk : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

USA average - 3.5
-----------------------
Montana- 5.0
Maine - 5.7
Connecticut- 4.5
Oregon - 3.8
Washington - 4.9
California - 3.5
Alaska - 4.5
New Jersey - 3.0
New Mexico - 4.2
Iowa - 4.3
Texas - 2.7
Louisiana - 2.5
Ask the resident of West, Tx if they feel safe...I guess we could your your logic on terrorism on American soil...since there is not that many, we should feel safe.

Old 04-21-2013, 09:44 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Who runs OSHA ?

It is not just OSHA. That is worker safety.

All the other agencies that are suppose to keep the public safe????
Who dropped the ball?

This was caused by our very own government and them not doing their job. They better damn well pay for any liability, on top of what the fert plant has.

Are the owners of the fert plant even alive?

Old 04-21-2013, 09:46 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,257,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
[SEEMS TO ME I HEAR LOT ABOUT TORT REFORM AND CAPPING AWRD LIMITS]
Does that mean there is no recourse available?

Quote:
[ AN INDUSTRY CAN BE DEREGULATED, AND COMPANY CAN BE IN VIOLATION OF REGULATIONS...]
Federal law trumps state law though. I see people criticizing TX, but not providing more substance for the argument. The only semi - reasonable argument I have seen is TX does not prohibit companies from opening in TX, but that would explain why they don't have a 9% unemployment rate.

Quote:
[THE AMOUNT OF DEVASTATION WILL BE FAR MUCH MORE THAT ANY SINGLE SMALL COMPANY WOULD HAVE BEEN REQUIRED TO CARRY
Quote:
]
Does that mean they did not have insurance or that they have a small policy? I carry more auto insurance than I am required to.

This was a private company failure and ultimately the private company should bear the brunt of the cost... even if that means the company goes belly up, but I don't see what TX did not do that they were supposed to do. Short of telling the company to open up in OK that is.

Old 04-21-2013, 09:47 AM

17,775 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Who runs OSHA ?

Republicans have spent the better part of 30 years cutting, arguing against and trying to dismantle OSHA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies