Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is this what they teach children in the South?
Yes, that's a solid education. 3 10.00%
No, but they should teach this. 2 6.67%
Yes, but they need to stop. 6 20.00%
No, they're getting a solid education with real science. 2 6.67%
The moon is made of cheese. 16 53.33%
Other. 1 3.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 01:38 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,398,269 times

Advertisements

If I was from NJ I wouldn't be too quick to put down other places.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:40 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
[quote=renault;29229584]How can anybody argue against the proven fact that public schools are dumbing down our kids more and more with each successive generation? This is why home-schooling is more important than ever before.

Check out this test given to 8th graders in 1931 West Virginia. There were no true/false questions, no multiple-choice questions. I'm certain most C-D posters would flunk-

[url=http://voices.washingtonpost.com/answer-sheet/history/take-this-1931-8th-grade-gradu.html?wprss=answer-sheet[/QUOTE]

This is not an example of dumbing down education. This is an example of the lack of education.

While I can see the argument against multiple choice tests, I also think that the critical thinking aspect is covered in other areas. Think about children in your public schools right now. They have 2-3 different texts for each class written by opposing authors. They have to read opposing views (a chapter from each book), tear them apart, and write 10 page papers on it...on a weekly basis. It's not all about tests.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:42 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,884,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Just some hidden instinct made you do it. We understand.
We shall overcome.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:42 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan's Dad View Post
No one is putting down other places (in general). The poll is designed to determine whether this is how they are educating their kids.

NJ ranks well in education. But there's no need to go offtopic.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:43 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
I am not seeing that as common anywhere but its more likely handed dwon from past eyars teachign and that had pe retty good results form what i see lookig at education now and its results.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:46 PM

65 posts, read 73,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan's Dad View Post
You're missing the point. We have children that are learning that people coexisted with dinosaurs and if anyone questions it to ask them if they were there. How can anyone tolerate this?

Old 04-21-2013, 01:55 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,321,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
The OP may not be able to make this up, but if you are going to make the suggestion that a fourth grader is being graded on this type of scientific curriculum, people better give names so that we know exactly who to blame when we are behind in science scores.
Here you go!

14 Wacky "Facts" Kids Will Learn in Louisiana's Voucher Schools | Mother Jones

Thanks to a new law privatizing public education in Louisiana, Bible-based curriculum can now indoctrinate young, pliant minds with the good news of the Lord—all on the state taxpayers' dime.

Old 04-21-2013, 02:07 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,321,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Is this what they call education in the South?

This damn ignorance about the South is getting more than a little sickening by some people on this board. My advice to you would be to find out what is going on in your region of the country, and you may find the same things occur where you live. Guess what? It does.
Nope. Not here.
OTTAWA - The Quebec Ministry of Education has told unlicensed Christian evangelical schools that they must teach Darwin's theory of evolution and sex education or close their doors after a school board in the Outaouais region complained the provincial curriculum was not being followed.
"Quebec children are legally required to follow the provincial curriculum ... but these evangelical schools teach their own courses on creationism and sexuality that don't follow the Quebec curriculum," said Pierre Daoust, director-general of the Commission Scolaire au Coeur-des-Vallees in Thurso, Que.
Mr. Daoust's complaint sparked the province-wide investigation.
Quebec law requires school boards to assure the Ministry of Education that every child between the ages six of and 16, with the exception of home-schooled children, receives an adequate education, he said.
But the 20 elementary and high school students who attend a school operated by Eglise Evangelique near Saint-Andre-Avellin, Que., are being educated according to a Bible-based curriculum and their high school diplomas will not be recognized anywhere in Canada, he said.

Evangelical schools ordered to teach Darwin

Old 04-21-2013, 02:09 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,371,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
The Catholic Church recognized evolution aeons ago. As far as I know Catholic schools everywhere teach evolution.

The Bible doesn't give a specific age to the Earth and what is referred to as a day (yom) in ancient Hebrew is literally a point in time or a period of time to include infinity. Since ancient Hebrew only has some 8,700 words, it's easy to imply meaning to ancient Hebrew that wasn't intended.

What I find to be more relevant is Genesis' description of what we now know was the Big Bang and the correct order of the emergence of life forms on Earth beginning with plant life, sea creatures, birds, land animals and finally man.

FTR, kids coming out of these church schools always out perform the public school kids by a full grade level, and this even in science.

Old 04-21-2013, 02:12 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,354,076 times
I most sincerely hope this question, posed by the O.P., and the paper pictured, are some sort of a hoax. If not, it might, I suppose be called 'religious education', but it is certainly not science education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies