Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 12:44 PM

37,177 posts, read 19,200,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I've known one individual on welfare for over 15 years..

At what point is temporary, not so temporary? I continue to laugh at people like you who believe thats true...
Why haven't you helped them find a job, or hired them yourself?

If you aren't helping, you're part of the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 02:31 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post

WTF do they mean Work Opportunity? Real unemployment is near 20%, where is the opportunity?

Old 04-21-2013, 04:21 PM

805 posts, read 1,161,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
I'll bet even when the economy is booming they don't work. Then there are people like you helping them feel good about abusing the American people, you actually justify it.

So Obama broadens the welfare base. Pelosi said that Welfare is a stimulus. And you provide yet another excuse. I have no sympathy here, they are what they are, low life leaches living off others who are already struggling yet these low lifers don't think anything about taking from the working people.
Actually, the number of people receiving various benefits increases when the economy isn't doing well. Which shouldn't be surprising as employers are not hiring and, consequently, the unemployed need some source of income in order to pay their bills. How do you propose addressing the issue of there not being enough jobs for people on welfare?

Unless, either the economy and job growth experience significant improvement or the government either hires welfare recipients itself or forces employers to hire welfare recipients, there will be people who need welfare to survive because there are no jobs available for them.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:30 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,275,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
SNAP, SSDI, and SS are the only non temporary welfare programs I am aware of, but even those programs are not given out to everybody...

SNAP requires you to have a kid and is only given while you have a kid. You still have to look for work though.

SS requires you to pay in for at least 10 years and be 62.

SSDI "requires" you to be "disabled". For the life of me I don't understand how a 3 yr old is considered disabled and entitled to money.

What welfare programs are not temporary? If you don't have a kid you aren't likely to receive a dime.
Here is a suggestion for you. Go back and READ the rules and requirements for these programs. Not what some liberal hippy spouting off to you says. Better yet, walk into a welfare office and sign up for welfare benefits. They will do EVERYTHING to keep you on those benefits for life. They will tell you: "Well, the benefits end after 5 years." Yet, then they will say, "But there are ways around that." Wink, wink, nod, nod.

ALL welfare benefits are forever; as long as you know how to milk the system, you can continue to receive them your entire life. Go out onto the streets of Oakland, anyday, all day. Go out onto International Blvd with CASH. Cold, hard, CASH and you can buy EBT Cards for .40, .50 on the dollar. Then, the same woman who sold you that EBT Card calls up OPD and says, "I was kidnapped. He forced me with a gun to give him my PIN number. Took all my money out of my EBT Card. It took me a week to report it, because I was scared. Can I get a report number please? I need to tell welfare to get my money credited back to my card and get a new one."

You left wing liberals aren't only fools, you are very ignorant and naive as to how the real world works and functions. Give people money, they will find every loophole to exploit.

Old 04-21-2013, 09:30 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I am all for reforming welfare to lower the abuse. But the obsession with welfare reform when we are trying to get unemployment under control seems silly. We need the safety net during downturns. When unemployment gets back below 5-6%, I would then give these ideas more consideration.

It seems to me that conservatives are using these issue as pure opportunism. When the economy tanks, the safety net has to kick in, and the deficit will increase. Neither Obama, nor the welfare cheats caused this.
Obsession? wow, maybe when Obama gets off his redistribution kick. Then the economy can start growing.

We are almost 5 years into Obama's presidency. When do you think Obama's going to stop hindering the growth of the economy so we can stop supporting half the country?

Old 04-21-2013, 09:32 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_the_facts View Post
Actually, the number of people receiving various benefits increases when the economy isn't doing well. Which shouldn't be surprising as employers are not hiring and, consequently, the unemployed need some source of income in order to pay their bills. How do you propose addressing the issue of there not being enough jobs for people on welfare?

Unless, either the economy and job growth experience significant improvement or the government either hires welfare recipients itself or forces employers to hire welfare recipients, there will be people who need welfare to survive because there are no jobs available for them.
oh yea, that's right. Obama attacks the producers and people who could hire and you expect them to hire. ok, sure.

What? you need the very business owners you have been attacking?

My proposal to address the welfare issue? Get rid of Obama and his class warfare.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:20 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,511,041 times
One country did a study. They cut off unemployment at 4 years, it had been 5. People found work at the cut off date so they put it at 3 years and people would find work at the cut off date. They learned if you let people draw it they will until they can't get it anymore.

Imagine that. Didn't take a PHD to figure that one out.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:24 PM

258 posts, read 238,714 times
Not everyone on welfare is lazy, but overall people need to understand human nature

When there are consequences for our actions we approach things differently. That's why when Clinton passed welfare reform back in the day, it wasn't the end of the world with mass starvation like predicted

People went to work. Welfare is not empowering. It's about dependency. And making people dependent takes away their freedom.

Even if the government has good intentions, the results are just as bad as if they had horrible ones

Old 04-22-2013, 12:41 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,511,041 times
Adam Carrola's mother was a single mother raising him. They didn't have much so Adam asked his mother why she didn't get a job? She told him if she did she would lose her welfare.

Some people would just rather live off the state, it does become a way of life. Who really wants to get up early, go to a job that has all the political hassles at the office and face a demanding boss. Only the people that want to work and know it is freedom, even with all the hassles. It's hard but worth it.

Old 04-22-2013, 06:05 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
WTF do they mean Work Opportunity? Real unemployment is near 20%, where is the opportunity?
That is correct. The real unemployment rate of the US is not just 2 points or so higher than in Denmark as the measurement is different. In the US you have lots of primitive service jobs that would not even be considered employment in Denmark. Plus, in Denmark there are hardly any working poor. Who has a job, can live comfortably, no matter what that job is. Thus people are not forced to enter the rat race if they don't have what it takes (ambition, brains, etc.). But the Danes are much more egalitarian to begin with, education is for everyone, so there is no subclass of uneducated people struggling to make ends meet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies