Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you willing to give up some constitutional rights to feel safe?
I would rather not have any security checks at airports and take my chances on the flight. 64 68.09%
I would be willing to submit to a search without probable cause so that my fight will be safer. 30 31.91%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 01:12 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The courts have been making the same ruling since early 1970s.

UNITED STATES v. AUKAI, No.

Got something other than that one case in the 9th circuit court regarding the search of a person who changed his mind about flying?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
One easy way to protect our way of life is limit Muslim migration to this country yet you liberals don't want to do that. So here we are at a crossroads.
However, if a Muslim does make it to this country, should they be allowed to purchase a gun without a background check? I am thinking about the guns that the Boston Bombers had and used to kill the MIT security guard.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:17 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billydaman View Post
Obviously you are not getting the point or just being disingenuous. At some point you will be subject to prove your citizenship. That requirement will be conducted with out probable cause. Therefore, unless you think people should freely come in and out of the country (due to not wanting authorities conducting unwarranted searches) you, yourself, support this so called infringement.

These people claiming not to want to sacrific a single freedom are not being logically consistent because they them selves support causes and practices that do, in fact infringe upon freedoms and liberties.
What makes you think there is no probable cause if you are at the border? A person outside the American border is probably not American and if they want to enter the American border they need to prove they are allowed to enter.

Visa, or
Citizenship

I prove my eligibility with my passport.

The last time I went to Mexico the cops searched my gf and I before we could enter a town. When I go Russia the cops ask me for papers. When I am inside the US border I am free to travel without being searched.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:18 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Aren't you proud of being a "sheeple"?
Thanks for proving my point.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:20 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
However, if a Muslim does make it to this country, should they be allowed to purchase a gun without a background check? I am thinking about the guns that the Boston Bombers had and used to kill the MIT security guard.
This came up when a french guy was asking if he was allowed to buy a gun in the US. IIRC, it is allowed and legal.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:20 PM

Quote:
The court ruling that you posted concerned the search of an individual who chose NOT TO FLY.
It concerns the constitutionality of airport security. I am sorry if you don't see that, but then again I can't force you to see what you do not want to see.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Anyone can buy a gun, and they might have bought them from a dealer after passing the background check. Or maybe they bought them from a private person where background checks are not required.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:32 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
Maybe most people us are simply not bothered by it. I fly all the time, and I couldn't care less if my bag gets x-rayed. What bothers me more is people like you who insult others for not being as sensitive as you.
I'm on the same boat as you,

i don't fly all the time but when i do i don't act all paranoid and scared of the security guy looking at my undies.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:44 PM

Quote:
It concerns the constitutionality of airport security. I am sorry if you don't see that, but then again I can't force you to see what you do not want to see.
Exactly! We have sacrificed our Constitutional freedoms for the promise of safety!

Quote:
The Supreme Court states that blanket suspicionless searches are allowed in the airport as long as terrorism poses a risk to public safety.
Quote:
The persistent threat of terrorism over the past decades gives airports wide latitude to infringe on the Fourth Amendment, and airports are able to restrict other rights as well.

Individual gun rights under the Second Amendment vary widely from state to state, but even in a state where a citizen has the right to carry a concealed weapon in public spaces, they lose that right once they enter the airport.
U.S. Airports a "Constitutional Twilight Zone" - CBS News

Old 04-21-2013, 01:47 PM

Is this an infringement on our constitutional rights?

Quote:
In August 2009, Nick went to the Philadelphia International Airport to catch a flight to California and begin his senior year at Pomona College. At the airport, he was detained, abusively interrogated, handcuffed, and jailed for several hours in a holding cell – solely because he was carrying a set of Arabic-English flashcards for his language studies, and a book critical of U.S. foreign policy.
Quote:
That’s right: no liquids, no matches, no weapons, no explosives. Just First Amendment-protected materials.
In Court Today: The Constitution Also Lives in Airports | American Civil Liberties Union
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies