Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you willing to give up some constitutional rights to feel safe?
I would rather not have any security checks at airports and take my chances on the flight. 64 68.09%
I would be willing to submit to a search without probable cause so that my fight will be safer. 30 31.91%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 09:40 PM

258 posts, read 238,252 times

Advertisements

Sadly the American public will continue to give up their rights as long as the government and media are inducing fear. Fear based mind control leads to emotions overriding intelligence

It's this selling of fear that is used to sell the public on every breach of human rights in history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 09:41 PM

1,160 posts, read 711,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Outside of the American border your rights only exist to the extent the other country recognizes them. Similarly, your rights are only protected once you are inside the US border. Out of 7 billion people in the world only 315 million are US citizens. If you are outside the US border the overwhelming odds are that you are not a US citizen. In fact, there is about a 96% chance that you are not a US citizen if you are outside US borders.

Food for thought...
287.1 - Definitions. - P ART 287: FIELD OFFICERS; POWERS AND DUTIES - Code of Federal Regulations - Title 8: Aliens and Nationality - January 01, 2011 - Order: 287.1 - 19608292 - PART 287: FIELD OFFICERS; POWERS AND DUTIES - Id 19608292 - vLex
Are you seriously suggesting that rights have conditions while in the same breath arguing that your personal liberty is absolute? Well played! My work is done here. Your logic is non-nonsensical. The point is, you are okay with some conditions on your "freedoms" and not others but yell about wanting absolute freedom. Its just stupid guy.

(BTW, you math is wrong, its not that simple. There is a greater chance that someone at the US border is an american than any other nationality, its too obvious for me to have to go through the effort of demonstrating this)

(BTW: you do not lose your rights upon exiting or entering the country...having rights observed is different than having them protected because we can not protect them does not mean they no longer exist or should not be observed by American border patrol)

Old 04-21-2013, 09:44 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,239,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billydaman View Post
Are you seriously suggesting that rights have conditions while in the same breath arguing that your personal liberty is absolute? Well played! My work is done here. Your logic is non-nonsensical.
I never said, nor do I believe that rights are conditional.

Old 04-21-2013, 09:45 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,629,169 times
Americans aren't being killed by terrorists on a frequent basis. All this uproar is so out-of-proportion to the dangers or risks of terrorism.

Americans have more to fear at their local McDonalds---where they're eating themselves into obesity and heart disease to the tune of 579,689 deaths a year.

Most Americans should worry less about their constitutional rights, and more about their right to stop eating so much.

Old 04-21-2013, 09:46 PM

78,866 posts, read 46,512,309 times
Quote:
TSA is a bad argument. You have the option to not be searched simply by not choosing to fly. Your argument would be a lot better if somehow the TSA/government forced you to fly.

If you fly a lot.... time spent for a pilot license and the cost of a Piper Cub
No TSA feeling you up after you undress for them.

Old 04-21-2013, 09:50 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,239,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
If you fly a lot.... time spent for a pilot license and the cost of a Piper Cub
No TSA feeling you up after you undress for them.
Are you saying that you can skip the search process if you have a pilot license?

Old 04-21-2013, 11:15 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,400,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Are you saying that you can skip the search process if you have a pilot license?
Pretty much depending on where you hangar your plane.

Old 04-21-2013, 11:26 PM

18,927 posts, read 14,115,131 times
Quote:
Your "rights" (not that I agree flying is a right) are not being violated if you consent/waive them.
Is it really a PRIVILEGE to travel by airplane?
If you do not have the endowed "right to travel" by flying (via airplane), who granted the government the power to give permission or deny it?

Can this be equally applied to the right to travel by walking, by riding a horse, a bicycle, an automobile, a boat? (BTW - "driving a motor vehicle" is an act of commerce and not the same as "riding in an automobile".)

As to the "right to contract a passage on an air carrier," it is a coerced act, when the common carrier will refuse you access unless you waive your rights to privacy - under threat of the government.

However, the bigger issue is this :
Governments instituted to SECURE rights do not have the delegated power to DENY rights.

And since government generally secures rights by prosecuting criminal acts AFTER THE FACT, the loss of privacy is unwarranted, just so a criminal act might not happen. Prior restraint is unconstitutional. That opens too many doors to abuse. Just about everything may be prohibited, regulated and restricted - just in case a crime may be committed.

Old 04-21-2013, 11:58 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,200,144 times
I voted for no searches at airports.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:04 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,005,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
The 4th.
The 4th amendment protects us against unconstitutional search against your will, nobody is forcing you to fly anywhere.

Fail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies