Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2013, 07:19 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,457,642 times

Advertisements

exactly!! according to liberals...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 07:22 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,929,147 times
If you look at what NY has recently done w/ gun laws and what is being pushed elsewhere. There is obviously a trend. Did anybody see this?

Warning! Laws Being Written To *********" | Opinion

Old 04-24-2013, 07:34 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,816,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
If you look at what NY has recently done w/ gun laws and what is being pushed elsewhere. There is obviously a trend. Did anybody see this?

Warning! Laws Being Written To *********" | Opinion
You should see the cr ap they are trying to pass in California. One of the bills would make a Ruger 10/22 an assault rifle and forbid the purchase of any rifle that takes a detachable magazine or has a built in magazine that holds more than 10 rounds. This bill would also prevent me from passing along the rifles to my children when I pass. Another bill would prevent me from selling over 95% of the handguns, many of which are 30 or 40 year old revolvers, I own to other residents in the state even with a background check. Another is a 5 cent tax per round of ammo. Another bill would prevent me from owning a magazine if it looks like it could hold more than 10 rounds even if it only holds 10 rounds. It is complete draconian feelgood nonsense that won't do a single thing.

Old 04-24-2013, 07:37 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,929,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
You should see the cr ap they are trying to pass in California. One of the bills would make a Ruger 10/22 an assault rifle and forbid the purchase of any rifle that takes a detachable magazine or has a built in magazine that holds more than 10 rounds. This bill would also prevent me from passing along the rifles to my children when I pass. Another bill would prevent me from selling over 95% of the handguns, many of which are 30 or 40 year old revolvers, I own to other residents in the state even with a background check. Another is a 5 cent tax per round of ammo. Another bill would prevent me from owning a magazine if it looks like it could hold more than 10 rounds even if it only holds 10 rounds. It is complete draconian feelgood nonsense that won't do a single thing.
Yeah, they are really pushing this. The NY version is basically rewriting all kind of other laws including mental health related. These bills don't just appear they are written well beforehand.

Old 04-24-2013, 07:52 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skellington View Post
OP your trying to equate reason with liberal. It does not work.
The definition of a liberal is someone who is so open minded their brain fell out. Stuff like this actually makes sense in their world.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:15 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,729,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
A bomb goes off, they blame the bombers... A gun goes off and they blame the gun?

Is this the logic we are told to accept?
Do they really think we are ALL fools?

They need to make a list of bombs to ban!
Here's an FYI

Go google how many people in the U.S. are injured by bombs, then how many people die by bombs.

Once you've done that, go google how many people in the U.S. are injured by guns, then how many people die by guns.

Then we'll talk.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:16 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
I don't know. Do we have a bomb problem in this country or a gun violence problem?
we dont have a gun violence problem in america we dont have a bomb violence problem in america.
we have a violence problem in america.
37% of homicides do not involve firearms in any manner.
the OP is well said. stop going after the tool used go after the user.
if guns are evil why do we require cops and soldiers to carry them and resolve most issues using them?

Old 04-24-2013, 08:38 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,256,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
A) Nobody knows where the mentally ill live, because Reagan-era conservatives in govt defunded and closed down mental health programs and institutions all over the country in the name of "wasteful spending".
B) So you support taking away guns after a murder has been committed? That is already done because the guy's in jail. A great "solution" which, as you have seen, is already in place and does nothing about the murder rate either.
After an armed robbery? Well the right wing still believes in total unrestricted gun sales by anybody to anybody in the name of "privacy rights". That criminal can secretly purchase a gun in the parking lot of any gun show, no questions asked.
What does Reagan or conservatives have anything to do with mental health facilities? The mental health professionals lobbied CA to get out of the mental health business. Also, Democrats were in control of Congress until the mid 90's and the ACLU fought for the rights of the mentally ill. The argument was that locking up the mentally ill infringed on their rights without due process. In exchange for respecting their rights we have to realize they will sometimes become violent and kill people, that's relatively rare though.

You seem to want to politicize this issue when politics has very little to do with facts.

Facts:
We all have rights and those rights are not taken away because of what you might do.
Homicide and violent crime are at an all time low.
We are all innocent until proven guilty.
The vast majority of homicide is drug or gang related.
Gun crimes are very rarely prosecuted.
Gun prosecutions are down 45% under Obama.
The desire to kill is not motivated by access to guns. Mexico and Russia have higher murder rates than the USA does and much more restrictive laws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Once again, the anti-gun folk are woefully misinformed, and demonstrate that ignorance proudly on the Internet for the entire world to see.

Check your facts, Jack.

(Here's a hint)
I stand corrected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I don't know about NY, but CA has had it for a long time.

BTW, I may have misidentified you as a grabber in my previous post. If that's the case, I apologize.
It seems they do and yet they still can't control the gangs and cartels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rob123 View Post
I can only assume this has been posted umpteen times but I have no interest in reading the whole thread. But I gotta say
First: ALL bombs are banned. When was the last time you bought a bomb at a bomb show?

Secondly please stop suckling from the nipple of the teet of the NRA, NOBODY believes that guns are killing anyone. People KNOW that PEOPLE using guns kill people....the "left" the "liberals" are not as dumb as you guys are being led to believe.
Bombs might be banned, but explosives aren't and you can buy the stuff to make a bomb fairly easily. Most people don't have the desire to build or buy bombs. If you so desired you could buy an RPG with rockets. Gun and explosives are nearly banned in Mexico but the cartels have no problem getting them. Money will get you anything you want in Mexico.

Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
You must spin to make a case? Is this the "infringement" you talk about?
The Second Amendment, one of the ten amendments to the Constitution comprising the Bill of Rights, states: “A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.”
You see, it's all in a single sentence.
Please make a connection with the RWNJ "right" to own any weapon you desire, including bombs, grenades, any weapon you can imagine, and in any amount.
And once again - quit avoiding the pertinent question of what you expect to do with a secret stash of weapons.
Also, any RWNJ stockpiling weapons certainly bears watching or "regulating" by the rest of us.
Since when are gang bangers living in urban ghettos RWNJ's? I doubt any of them even vote. The people you are demonizing aren't committing murder in large numbers.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:43 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,256,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Here's an FYI

Go google how many people in the U.S. are injured by bombs, then how many people die by bombs.

Once you've done that, go google how many people in the U.S. are injured by guns, then how many people die by guns.

Then we'll talk.
Intentional homicide rates:

Honduras - 91.6
El Salvador - 69.2
Puerto Rico - 26.2
Mexico - 22.7
Brazil - 21
USA - 4.7

It doesn't look like gun laws are the issue.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:56 PM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
Default Classic Government Bumbling

A government that secures rights by prosecuting deliberate injury is far different from a government that proscribes behavior that MIGHT cause injury.
The former can be evaluated and monitored as to its effectiveness. The latter cannot. Prior restraint cannot be evaluated as to how effective it was in preventing that which did not occur.
It's no surprise government would prefer to enact mountains of regulations than bother to enforce the laws already on the books regarding deliberate injury to person or property. The government can appear to be "effective" when in reality, they're incompetent bumbling stooges - at our expense, no less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies