U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 01:36 PM

470 posts, read 391,519 times

Advertisements

With all due respect Sen Dianne Moron police can't be everywhere .

Dianne Feinstein Prefers Massive Police Presence to Individuals With Assault Rifles During Boston Manhunt
Rate this post positively

Old 04-21-2013, 01:46 PM

16,876 posts, read 13,722,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the mask View Post

she also prefers to be able to have her own ccw in SF, while all her constituents go unarmed.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:47 PM

8,509 posts, read 7,444,124 times
if more regular joes were packing heat, things like people shooting up movie theaters would NEVER happen, because the psycho would not get off two shots before someone would put him down.

Using shooting events as an excuse for more gun control is going about it the wrong way, it assumes that all americans are as crazy as the shooter. That's no way to think of people. I consider myself progressive, but there's nothing logical about the leftists calls for gun control. All their arguments are completely illogical. Trust that people are responsible, good, and know how to handle themselves with these weapons.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:50 PM

5,262 posts, read 3,710,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
if more regular joes were packing heat, things like people shooting up movie theaters would NEVER happen, because the psycho would not get off two shots before someone would put him down.

Using shooting events as an excuse for more gun control is going about it the wrong way, it assumes that all americans are as crazy as the shooter. That's no way to think of people.
99% of you would freeze, fumble and make the situation worse. Most of you are average to poor shots to begin with, much less in a crisis situation where you are a bundle of nerves. A very, very small percentage of the population remains cool and collected in crisis situations, much less when they have had no training for such situations.

Additionally, I don't want to be sitting next to your foolish butt when you start spraying gunfire and attract shots at me because you've made yourself a target.

Old 04-21-2013, 02:01 PM

16,876 posts, read 13,722,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
99% of you would freeze, fumble and make the situation worse. Most of you are average to poor shots to begin with, much less in a crisis situation where you are a bundle of nerves. A very, very small percentage of the population remains cool and collected in crisis situations, much less when they have had no training for such situations.

Additionally, I don't want to be sitting next to your foolish butt when you start spraying gunfire and attract shots at me because you've made yourself a target.

guess that puts me in the 1% group.

believe it or not, most civilians that carry concealed are better shots than their local police. civilians have the time and money to go out and practice, whereas cops dont really practice much at all, some do, but not most.

all you have to do is look at firearm competitions to see who is polacing in the top 3 places.

Old 04-21-2013, 03:14 PM

37,369 posts, read 19,043,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
The idea that a handful of strangers can spontaneously form a SWAT team in the heat of the moment and expect a good outcome is plain silly. I have in fact trained the "armed perpetrator mixed in with civilians" scenario with law enforcement back in Europe, and everybody makes a complete dog's breakfast of it on the first few run-throughs. It's really seriously goddamn hard.

Quote:
Trust that people are responsible, good, and know how to handle themselves with these weapons.
I see people trusted with the responsibility of handling themselves with a motorized vehicle every day, and it has caused me to not share your optimism.

Old 04-21-2013, 03:18 PM

37,369 posts, read 19,043,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
all you have to do is look at firearm competitions to see who is polacing in the top 3 places.
Firearms proficiency is necessary, but it doesn't win the day on its own. Command structure, shared procedure, clear communications and, yes, hitting what you aim at, wins firefights.

Old 04-21-2013, 03:21 PM

6,114 posts, read 4,236,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Then cower unarmed on the floor underneath the movie theater seats, and stay out of the way of those who would be armed and trying to save themselves and your sorry a$$ for a psycho-murderer.

Old 04-21-2013, 03:23 PM

35,383 posts, read 21,765,418 times
If everyone is walking around with an assault rifle, how do you distinguish the good guys with an assault rifle from the bad guys carrying an assault rifle?

Old 04-21-2013, 03:37 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,284,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
The idea that a handful of strangers can spontaneously form a SWAT team in the heat of the moment and expect a good outcome is plain silly. I have in fact trained the "armed perpetrator mixed in with civilians" scenario with law enforcement back in Europe, and everybody makes a complete dog's breakfast of it on the first few run-throughs. It's really seriously goddamn hard.

I see people trusted with the responsibility of handling themselves with a motorized vehicle every day, and it has caused me to not share your optimism.
Too bad you're completely wrong.

"Last July, mathematics enthusiast Davi Barker published an analysis of 93 mass shootings, and found that the average number of people killed in such shootings when stopped by police is 14.3. The average number of people killed in mass shootings when stopped by a civilian is 2.3."

Auditing Shooting Rampage Statistics - Daily Anarchist
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies