Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 01:21 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times

Advertisements

Here is an interesting Israeli perspective of the Boston Lockdown. The Israelis are the experts on this type of thing.

Quote:
Analysis: Boston lockdown
By YAAKOV KATZ 04/20/2013 00:34

Millions of residents were ordered to stay in a “lockdown” on Friday as police hunted down the second Boston Marathon bomber.
Quote:
I might be wrong, but my feeling is that in the aftermath of those attacks the opposite always happened.

There was no lockdown in Israel and there was no order by the mayor to seek shelter.

Instead, people were out in the streets, filling up coffee shops right next to the one that had been bombed or standing at bus stops waiting for the next bus from the same line that had just exploded. This has always impressed me as a sign of true resilience, of a refusal to allow terrorism to change our way of life.

I am not judging the people of Boston and their leaders and yes, there is something to be said about being safe rather than sorry. But, I wonder about the long-term strategic ramifications and if this won’t be viewed as a near-surrender to terrorism.
Quote:
Is this the message the US wants to send around the world: That a single terrorist can disrupt so many lives and possibly more important – the American way of life? I’m also not sure.
Analysis: Boston lockdown
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 01:39 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
The sub shops were open.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
The sub shops were open.
Um, the last time I checked, the shops next to the bombing site were still closed, and roped off, and Friday nothing was open in the entire city of Boston.

I'd say, our resilience to not allowing terrorism to change our way of life, is an epic FAIL.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:55 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Um, the last time I checked, the shops next to the bombing site were still closed, and roped off, and Friday nothing was open in the entire city of Boston.

I'd say, our resilience to not allowing terrorism to change our way of life, is an epic FAIL.
Idk, i'm sure things are back to normal in Boston today.

How many times has a terrorist manhunt taken place in Israel? isnt the attacks in Israel mostly from rockets?

Old 04-21-2013, 01:57 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,994,198 times
I wasn't in Boston but I'll bet Starbucks was still open.

Old 04-21-2013, 02:28 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
If I'm not mistaken, the 'lockdown' was largely done on a voluntary basis. No one was threatened with arrest for going out on the streets. This was a pretty unique situation where they had the guy boxed in to a particular area, and calling a lockdown greatly limited his options for getting out. It's pretty tough to argue with the results.

We just have to make sure that there is not a slippery slope where authorities think they can invoke 'lockdown' because the mayor is passing through, the police chief's daughter is getting married, a big drug raid is planned, etc.

Old 04-21-2013, 02:32 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,460,466 times
But, what's with this paralyzing fear? One armed teenager forces curfew on a population of one million? Does it sound normal? What if a well trained armed unit attacks? Will the US be totally out of business?

Old 04-21-2013, 02:34 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
If I'm not mistaken, the 'lockdown' was largely done on a voluntary basis. No one was threatened with arrest for going out on the streets. This was a pretty unique situation where they had the guy boxed in to a particular area, and calling a lockdown greatly limited his options for getting out. It's pretty tough to argue with the results.

We just have to make sure that there is not a slippery slope where authorities think they can invoke 'lockdown' because the mayor is passing through, the police chief's daughter is getting married, a big drug raid is planned, etc.
Yep. We weren't forced to stay in our homes, but it was recommended. I still went to work (but had to take a taxi because the T was shut down) and went about my day as usual. A friend of mine lives in Watertown a few houses down from the house where the dude was hiding in the boat and he told me he wouldn't WANT to leave his house at that point.

As for your second examples...I haven't been in Boston too terribly long, but none of those things would go over very well here.

Old 04-21-2013, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
I wasn't in Boston but I'll bet Starbucks was still open.
You lose your bet. The cops shut everything down, including all 64 Starbucks. Everything except for the donut shops, and we all know why they keep those open.

At cops’ request, Dunkin’ Donuts stays open

Old 04-21-2013, 02:51 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
But, what's with this paralyzing fear? One armed teenager forces curfew on a population of one million? Does it sound normal? What if a well trained armed unit attacks? Will the US be totally out of business?
You seem to have it wrong. It was not just for safety sake, but to not give the 19 year old bomber a chance to get lost in the crowd. Anyway, you talk as if this is weeks or months later. If I remember correctly, as soon as they lifted the lockdown, people immediatley ventured outside and that is how the bomber was spotted in the boat by its owner. Did it ever occur to you that law enforcement had to scour the bomb site and surrounding areas for evidence and that would have been made more difficult if people were in the way and mulling around. Jeez.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies