U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Hip Hop-Art or Poison?
Art 23 44.23%
Poison 29 55.77%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 04:22 PM

13,266 posts, read 9,998,231 times

Advertisements

Radio Hip Hop sucks. There's still some good stuff out there though and some good new albums.

I could dig the Kendrick Lamar, A$ap Rocky, and Ghostface albums.

It'll get a lot better towards the end of this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 04:24 PM

4,266 posts, read 3,595,630 times
I hate hip-hop and rap - but it is protected speech and expression.

Old 04-21-2013, 04:26 PM

3,858 posts, read 4,281,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I wish that were true, but it isn't. Not even close.

In fact, most POP music is hip hop influenced nowadays. The overwhelming majority of it.

The hottest song this year has been Macklemore's joint..Thrift Shop or something like that.
There is less hip hop crossing over to the pop charts than 10 or 20 years ago. I suppose some of the pop has a hip hop beat but it's just fun, cheesey pop music not even related to hip hop. There is also a trend of folksy, celtic influenced songs from artists like Mumford and Sons becoming huge hits. This never would have happened when hip hop was at it's peak. It's become a subculture. Just one of many genres of music. Nothing special anymore.

Old 04-21-2013, 04:35 PM

I wouldn't say it isn't special, just that the artists being promoted aren't real artists most of the time. Hip-Hop definitely has its place and when it comes to lyrics, there's not many other genres that can get as broad of a message across in a song.

Spoken word is powerful and when real Hip Hop is played, its still very powerful.

^^ I'm a big fan of a lot of the new folk stuff too. Grew up in an area where a lot of the sound originated and was never a fan until moving away to the city.

Old 04-21-2013, 04:41 PM

Kendrick Lamar's "Good Kid" describes what its like to grow up in a neighborhood of gangs or tough guys. What its like to not be a gangbanger and still try to live a respectable life. Most of America knows nothing about what its like to deal with people who will seriously hurt you or even kill you in some instances. There are those who get caught up in the gang life out of fear, not the willingness to commit crimes.

Pretty powerful song 1st time I heard it.

[Hook: Pharrell Williams]
Mass hallucination baby
Ill education baby
Want to reconnect with your elations
This is your station baby

[Verse 1]
Look inside these walls and you see them having withdrawals
Of a prisoner on his way
Trapped inside your desire
To fire bullets that stray
Track attire just tell you I'm tired and ran away
I should ask a choir what do you require
To sing a song that acquire me to have faith
As the record spin I should pray
For the record I recognize that I'm easily prey
I got ate alive yesterday
I got animosity building
It's probably big as a building
Me jumping off of the roof
Is me just playing it safe
But what am I supposed to do
When the topic is red or blue
And you understand that I ain't
But know I'm accustomed to
Just a couple that look for trouble
And live in the street with rank
No better picture to paint than me walking from bible study
And called his homies because he had said he noticed my face
From a function that tooken place
They was wondering if I bang
Step on my neck and get blood on your Nike checks
I don't mind because one day you'll respect
The good kid, m.A.A.d. city

[Hook]

2nd verse is about being caught in between the gangs and the police. The gangs won't let you pass safely in your own neighborhood, and the police treat you like a criminal in your own neighborhood. It's a catch 22.

After avoiding the gang life your still profiled and treated like a criminal by the police.

[Verse 2]
All I see is strobe lights, blinding me in my hindsight
Finding me by myself, promise me you can help
In all honesty I got time to be copacetic until
You had finally made decision to hold me against my will
It was like a head on collision that folded me standing still
I can never pick out the difference and grade a cop on the bill
Every time you clock in the morning, I feel you just want to kill
All my innocence while ignoring my purpose to persevere as a better person
I know you heard this and probably in fear
But what am I supposed to do with the blinking of red and blue
Flash from the top of your roof and your dog has to say woof
And you ask, "Lift up your shirt" cause you wonder if a tattoo
Of affiliation can make it a pleasure to put me through
Gang files, but that don't matter because the matter is racial profile
I heard them chatter: "He's probably young but I know that he's down"
Step on his neck as hard as your bullet proof vest
He don't mind, he know we'll never respect, the good kid, m.A.A.d. city

[Hook]

[Verse 3]
All I see in this room: 20 Xanies and these 'shrooms
Grown-up candy for pain, can we live in a sane society
It's entirely stressful upon my brain
You hired me as a victim, I quietly hope for change
When violence is the rhythm, inspired me to obtain
The silence in this room with 20 Xanies and 'shrooms
Some grown-up candy I lost it, I feel it's nothing to lose
The streets sure to release the worst side of my best
Don't mind, cause now you ever in debt to good kid, m.A.A.d. city

[Hook]

And the end result.

Old 04-21-2013, 04:45 PM

586 posts, read 769,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Some good, some bad...like anything else.

But then, most music in every genre is garbage. Country? 95% garbage. Rock? 75% garbage. R&B? 99% garbage. Techno and all that electronica nonsense is damn near 100% noise.

I stick to the old reliable stuff that I always have...Miles, Diz, Coltrane, Bird, Clifford, Monk, Duke, Dolphy, Jamal, Blakey, etc....the actual innovators.

And of course, blues...without which no good music would've even been worth listening to.

But I see no reason to single out rap for scorn when everything else is just as pathetic and often worse.
I don't completely agree that all electronica and techno music is garbage. They're more like auditory drugs. A lot of the time you get a bad batch and it just sounds like noise. Once in a while you find a good song or DJ that just gets to you and you just start tripping out with it. (I think that's the point of the EDM and other related genres.)

I do agree with you that there is a lot of garbage music out there however. Most of it seems to be mass produced crap that gets spewed out for the mass consumption of mindless sheeple. However, I know there are a few gems out there in each genre of music that either speaks to people in some way or stirs up emotions to make things meaningful.

Going back to the electronic dance music for a minute, this article comes to mind:

EDM's Bubble Will Soon Burst | JoJo Electro

Even the promoter of one of the biggest music festivals has noticed this trend and, while I sort of have a thing for his future wife (kind of a little sad about the thing, won't go into detail), I agree with him. That particular genre (to a slightly lesser extent the other genres) seems to have become about the fame for the artists and who they get to hang out with.

Back in the eighties it was about the music and the art. During those times music had more substance. It made you think. Most of it wasn't just repeating the same words or regurgitating old music. It was completely original and the concerts were about the experience.

It feels like this is a growing trend for many art forms to be honest. With self publishing anyone can publish a book and think they're the greatest writer in the world (not saying all do). They have artwork in little boutiques and stores that are just something people threw together to make money. They probably wouldn't be able to be placed in museums or galleries because all they are are decorations for some rich guy's house. I think this trend is part of the reason why the media hasn't put out a lot of good things.

When I create something I do it first and foremost because I want to (and I think I have kind of an obsession with some of it). I like creating things. It is fun. Admittedly I'll think of getting money for the work, (even starving artists have to survive), but that is only part of it and not even the biggest part of it.

As for the topic at hand, I kind of liked the hip-hop that talked about real problems living on the street and in the ghetto.

Old 04-21-2013, 04:46 PM

3,183 posts, read 2,815,017 times
Art, it's a form of music like any other.

Sure, some rappers have a toxic cultural message or are just plain (musically) bad, but you can't brush stroke the entire genre because of that; although of course it's completely legitimate to dislike it because it's just not your thing or because you can't stand the stuff that plays on the radio.

If you think the genre is all bad just from what you hear on the radio check out Aesop Rock, Dessa, Plan B, Lupe Fiasco, etc. You might be surprised.

Old 04-21-2013, 04:58 PM

14,382 posts, read 7,486,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
I'm an advocate Hip Hop listener and an artist, and I say both lol, mainly art though, but it sure can be poisonous. I can see how some of it can be misinterpreted or jus fairly interpreted as a negative msg. Having said that, even gangsta rap got some great points and u gotta read between the lines and not take erything literally. I feel like quality Hip Hop raises important issues and teaches life in a lot of ways, and u jus gotta take the good with the bad, but take the good out and apply it. Some say it encourages criminal behavior, and I can see that, but it still mainly depends on how one is brought up and what family structure surrounds him/her. Ghettos, drugs, thugs and guns came all before gangsta rap, not because of it, jus someth to think about, and actually when hip hop was created, it was all about leading youngsters away from the gang life, thus all the b-boy battles instead.
Any "thing" that glamorizes being a criminal/thug/gang member/womanizer/violent is poison. You are right; it can be both, just not at the same time.

Why is it that words said in general conversation and deemed to be obnoxious, racial, derogatory...etc. magically become acceptable (art) simply because they are lyrics set to a beat? At face value, I see it as a way (for some) to capitalize off anger and deranged attitudes, and that qualifies as exploitation.

Old 04-21-2013, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Any "thing" that glamorizes being a criminal/thug/gang member/womanizer/violent is poison. You are right; it can be both, just not at the same time.

Why is it that words said in general conversation and deemed to be obnoxious, racial, derogatory...etc. magically become acceptable (art) simply because they are lyrics set to a beat? At face value, I see it as a way (for some) to capitalize off anger and deranged attitudes, and that qualifies as exloitation.
I'd say that would hold true for just about all American pop culture at the moment. If its not that its some terrible American example on some reality show brainwashing the kids.

We need a culture makeover IMO.

Old 04-21-2013, 05:07 PM

47,314 posts, read 24,644,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
There is less hip hop crossing over to the pop charts than 10 or 20 years ago. I suppose some of the pop has a hip hop beat but it's just fun, cheesey pop music not even related to hip hop. There is also a trend of folksy, celtic influenced songs from artists like Mumford and Sons becoming huge hits. This never would have happened when hip hop was at it's peak. It's become a subculture. Just one of many genres of music. Nothing special anymore.
Yea, but most hip hop is cornball and cheesy too. Most hip hop isn't violent.

And sure, some bands are managing to have a great run. Mumford and Sons is a good example.

But rap will survive and thrive regardless. Rock couldn't kill it, neither could alternative or "grunge." Hip hop always manages to sray on top because its the kid's music.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies