U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Hip Hop-Art or Poison?
Art 23 44.23%
Poison 29 55.77%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 07:02 PM

910 posts, read 1,135,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Jazz will never die because its simply superior to all other musical genres.
Well it was until the Wynton Marsalises and Stanley Crouches took over and pretended like anything after 1969 didn't happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 07:02 PM

3,718 posts, read 4,605,066 times
The cut of the arts lead to the birth of hip-hop.

Something from Nothing - The Art of Rap Full Documentary LEGENDADO - YouTube

Start watching at 0:06:00

Old 04-21-2013, 07:04 PM

18,563 posts, read 15,803,826 times
In a normal functioning community hip hop would merely be an expression of teenage angst like rock and roll or heavy metal. The problem is that the core structure of the African American community has crumbled. A friend just shared this on Facebook.

http://exministries.wordpress.com/20...atherlessness/

Old 04-21-2013, 07:08 PM

Oh looky it's Mr. Ruckus. Friend to all the girls and boys.

Old 04-21-2013, 07:09 PM

9,138 posts, read 6,497,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
In a normal functioning community hip hop would merely be an expression of teenage angst like rock and roll or heavy metal. The problem is that the core structure of the African American community has crumbled. A friend just shared this on Facebook.

TBHH: Hip hop is the symptom of social ills because of fatherlessness |

Most people see a rose bush and see the blooms...some go straight for the thorns.

Old 04-21-2013, 07:19 PM

3,188 posts, read 2,822,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Pederman View Post
You mean to tell me rockabilly is just a passing fad? I think not, good sirrah.
You mean to tell me girls dressing in the rockabilly style is just a passing fad?

Old 04-21-2013, 07:23 PM

12,263 posts, read 9,015,731 times
IMO most hip-hop is just boring.

Old 04-21-2013, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
You mean to tell me girls dressing in the rockabilly style is just a passing fad?

Ladies looking fine will never go out of style.

Old 04-21-2013, 07:28 PM

38,805 posts, read 38,023,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
I'm an advocate Hip Hop listener and an artist, and I say both lol, mainly art though, but it sure can be poisonous. I can see how some of it can be misinterpreted or jus fairly interpreted as a negative msg. Having said that, even gangsta rap got some great points and u gotta read between the lines and not take erything literally. I feel like quality Hip Hop raises important issues and teaches life in a lot of ways, and u jus gotta take the good with the bad, but take the good out and apply it. Some say it encourages criminal behavior, and I can see that, but it still mainly depends on how one is brought up and what family structure surrounds him/her. Ghettos, drugs, thugs and guns came all before gangsta rap, not because of it, jus someth to think about, and actually when hip hop was created, it was all about leading youngsters away from the gang life, thus all the b-boy battles instead.
Rap and hip hop when they first came out, way back in the day... they actually said something, like you mentioned, were revolutionary and fresh......

I think, unfortunately now, the genre has become way way oversaturated and over commercialized, to the point of a lot of it being garbage.

I liken it to the end of the 80's hair metal band era... they were so many bands that just sucked, all trying to catch that wave of what was popular............. just became played out...

Same goes with most rap today.....I think rap is at that same point right now.....

Old 04-21-2013, 07:33 PM

31,385 posts, read 31,107,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I stick to the old reliable stuff that I always have...Miles,
If you are a true fan of Miles then you would know that the FIRST person to disagree with you would be Miles himself or did you completely miss Mile's final recording, Doo-Bop?

And what of Gil Scott-Heron the forefather and one of the most sampled artist in hip-hop.

Of course rap is an art form just as scat, spoken word (See Gil and the Last Poets) and blues were art forms before it, but just like any other art form there are posers, charlatans, and hucksters whose work isn't worth the time, but then there are examples of pure genius. Art is what you make of it or don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies