Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 01:41 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
Incorrect. Homosexuals can marry in each and every state in the Union, your LIES, notwithstanding. Why is it y our posts are chock full of LIES.

Once more time, the restrictions on marriage exists,, without discrimination, fo everyone regardless of their sexual orientation. What applies to Homos, applies to Hetros - same, same, no difference.

Start posting the truth, for a change.

BTW, polygamists don't get their way either Does that constitute "discrimination" in your mind, as well??
Yep and what applied to blacks also applied to whites.

Quote:
The fifth, and final, argument judges would use to justify miscegenation law was undoubtedly the most important; it used these claims that interracial marriage was unnatural and immoral to find a way around the Fourteenth Amendment's guarantee of "equal protection under the laws." How did judges do this? They insisted that because miscegenation laws punished both the black and white partners to an interracial marriage, they affected blacks and whites "equally." This argument, which is usually called the equal application claim, was hammered out in state supreme courts in the late 1870s, endorsed by the United States Supreme Court in 1882, and would be repeated by judges for the next 85 years.
History News Network

How well did that claim work out last time?

Old 04-22-2013, 01:44 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,513,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
A gay man cannot get married to his partner. This is elementary and has been explained to you countless times.
A gay man can get married to his partner. This is elementary and has been explained to you countless times.

Just because some states choose not to recognize it does not mean people cannot marry who they want.

There's a gay married couple that I know. They were married in Ohio in 1993. No one has arrested them yet. Even though people will tell you it's illegal here. Those people are either willfully ignorant or liars.

Average Liberal: "get the government out of my bedroom". Next sentence: "I want government to sanction my intimate sexual relationship".

Old 04-22-2013, 01:47 PM

2,682 posts, read 4,480,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
A gay man can get married to his partner. This is elementary and has been explained to you countless times.

Just because some states choose not to recognize it does not mean people cannot marry who they want.

There's a gay married couple that I know. They were married in Ohio in 1993. No one has arrested them yet. Even though people will tell you it's illegal here. Those people are either willfully ignorant or liars.

Average Liberal: "get the government out of my bedroom". Next sentence: "I want government to sanction my intimate sexual relationship".
It's not about that. Yes I can marry my GF, but under federal law I can't claim her on my taxes, can't give her my SS benefits, can't add her to my health insurance at work, can't possibly visit her in the hospital, it's not the same, although our relationship is the same as any other.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:54 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post

Here's the thing. the states have always regulated marriage. That is their arena and that is fine. However, the federal gov decided to pass a law that only recognized male-female marriage. By doing so they are discriminating against same sex couples.

If every state allowed and recognized gay marriage would the federal gov still have the right to treat gay couples differently than hetero couples?

Ultimately, you have no say. The SCOTUS will soon decide whether or not the fed has the right to dole out benefits to married people and if they are allowed to discriminate against sexual orientation.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:05 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
Well, it is n ot a Federal Issue, since Marriage is an instituion of the States. What part of equal treatment = no discrimination do you think is half-witted, as so inelegantly and dimwittedly stated it.
You do know that Loving v. Virginia was about marriage, right? Do you know on what grounds the SCOTUS struck down those laws?

Old 04-22-2013, 02:07 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times
Quote:
Here's the thing. the states have always regulated marriage. That is their arena and that is fine. However, the federal gov decided to pass a law that only recognized male-female marriage. By doing so they are discriminating against same sex couples.
And also discriminating against some states. While same-sex marriage should be the law in all the nation, what's most especially offensive is the refusal for some states and the federal government to grant full faith and credit to the public acts, records, and judicial proceedings of every other state. We marry same-sex couples in this state. They are married, no matter what political nonsense comes from other states or the federal government. Bigotry shouldn't be allowed to prevail.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:34 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
Quote:
A. Yes and one of the questions the SCOTUS asked was whether or not the fed gov even has the right to be involved in marriage. Conceivably, the court could rule that the fed cannot give special rights to married people.

B. Religion has diddly squat to do with the fed gov and marriage. Don't want gay marriage don't get one. Your church doesn't want to perform gay marriage? Fine, churches already opposes interfaith and interracial marriages. The equality issue is that the fed will recognize a hetero marriage from NY, but not a gay marriage from NY.

C. Again with the religion. Not all religions are hateful. Some religions accept people for who they are and don't discriminate against them. Furthermore, this is about the fed gov and the benefits/rights that it creates by recognizing marriage between hetero people and not gay people.

D. That makes about as much sense as saying gays can get married too as long as they "marry someone from the opposite sex". Your gf and you have the option to get married and receive fed benefits. Why should a hetero soldier get a pay raise once they get married and not a gay soldier?

E. I agree, not so much on church, but on making marriage a private affair. However, if the fed is going to stick its' nose in marriage and dole out benefits then it cannot discriminate based on sexual orientation.

F. People used to say that about about interracial relationships too. You can make a legal argument why gay marriage should be recognized the same as a hetero marriage. In fact, the DOMA case made it to the SCOTUS because the woman in the case had to pay $400K in estate taxes even though she was with her partner for 30-40 years.
Having standards is not hate. Because they don't accept everything that comes down the pike they are hateful.. says who? The hate word is overused by the people pushing their agendas down people's throats.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:38 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,528,639 times
I think the Catholic, Lutheran and other Christian churches need to come up with a different union between men and women of faith. Rename marriage "The Christian Union" and let the immoral and atheists have their "marriage".

But I agree, the Federal Government has no business deciding anything about marriage. Just do away with all tax benefits for marriage and have the Federal Government get out.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
And? If they're not gay they won't KEEP experimenting. That's what experimentation is. Were you ever a teenager?

Really? Lesbians represent most of the HIV/AIDS cases in the USA? Newsflash lady: Lesbians are 50% of gay people, but folks like you just can't stop thinking about the butt sex.

I suppose gay men are also responsible for most of the out of wedlock and teenage pregnancies, huh?

Epic fail of logical thinking.

Gay sex doesn't cause the spread of HIV. If two committed guys have anal sex for years they will never get HIV, never get any diseases at all.

People engaging in unsafe sex causes the spread of STDs of all kinds. Promiscuity AND safe sex increases the chances of catching STDs.

Solution: Keep focusing on promoting safe sex and non-promiscuity... but focusing on safe sex because we live in a place called "the real world" where people have sex. This same real world where gay and bisexual people exist that you want to pretend doesn't exist.

Transmission of HIV in the gay community is fastest among the traditionally disenfranchised groups, such as African American males. Education and access to resources, as usual, goes a long way in reducing STD transmission.
Big problem in the gay community.. many gays don't know they are infected and infect others... they don't get tested and even then if they get tested it takes time for their T cell count to drop .. it is a virus that attacks the t cells and after a time the t-cell count which fights off infections gets so low, the immune system becomes weaker and weaker till evenually they have no cells to fight the virus.. and they die.

Antiretrovirals with protease inhibitors are taken to bring down the viral load and then the t cell count can grow and the immune system gets stronger. God help them because if a catastrophic problem happened and the medicines could not get distributed , they would have a problem to keep healthy. Some have problems with side effects but the drugs are better today than in the past. But it is a burden none the less..

Old 04-22-2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I think the Catholic, Lutheran and other Christian churches need to come up with a different union between men and women of faith. Rename marriage "The Christian Union" and let the immoral and atheists have their "marriage".

But I agree, the Federal Government has no business deciding anything about marriage. Just do away with all tax benefits for marriage and have the Federal Government get out.
They offered union to the gays and they want marriage.. if it was the other way around.. offered marriage and not union if the standard word for hetrosexual ceremonies was union they would want the word union..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies